First time grower

Smokey bones

Hey everyone my first time growing I have started with 6 trees they are about 4 days old growing fine so far I'm a outdoor grower btw. I'll be asking for alot of help too and thanks for all your help in advance

When do I clip the 2 beginner leaves ?
And do I use fertilizer every time I water ?

You never clip the 2 beginner leaves. You wait for them to turn yellow and die off. And no you dont use fertilizer every time you water, wait until they have about 3 - 4 leaf sets before you start adding nutrients and that is if the soil has absolutely no nutrients in it, and even at that I would go very very light on it. it all depends on the soil your planting them in. If you dig a hole and fill with a "hot" soil (high in nutrients) then I wouldnt feed them for maybe a month, or until they start showing the first signs of deficiencies.

Everyday it's summin new with my plants well one of them the 2 beginner leaves have died on one of my plants but I only have 2 leaves I thought the 2 beginner leaves die when u have like 4 leaves or more shud I be worried

Since it's your first time, be aware that there's usually a certain mortality among very young plants. Of the first six I planted, only one produced a crop. With experience your record should get better. Patience is the essence of the art.

At my age being a noob is rare, but here I am! I too have begun my first grow as a patient. I purchased and built a greenhouse kit for my outdoor grow and just past week 3!

All has been going great until this week and my research uncovered a great thread about deficiencies and excesses with great photographs which was very helpful... Wish I had noted the user's name to say thanks personally as I found I have watering issues!

Apparently some of my baby pots soil are far more compacted than others which results in some pots holding moisture longer than others as leafs began to cup and the first set of leaves, (not the first seed leafs) cupped, yellowed and have begun turning brown while those with the best drainage are superb!

It's typically the most obvious causes that cause problem for us new growers. I checked with a hydrometer the moisture content. Those with the cupped leaves are between 3 & 4 on a scale of 4 being wet!

Those looking fine are at 2 and all were watered yesterday... I'll check periodically today and see how quickly they begin to dry, but obviously those which drain better will require more frequent watering until I transplant all and can attempt to insure better consistency of compaction...

I'm disabled, thus on very limited means, so at present I'm using miracle grow soil and very weak steer manure tea for watering. I took a couple pounds of manure, tied it into an old T-shirt and soaked the manure bag for 2 hours in a 5 gallon bucket which I leave inside the greenhouse a minimum 24 hours before using to allow city chemicals to off gas.

I still have a bit of work to finish the greenhouse, like landscaping cloth and shredded rubber in lieu of pea gravel as the internal moisture is too high with exposed soil. I placed the greenhouse strategically in my back yard and it is surrounded by sod, so watering causes seepage under the cement foundation. So, I hope using brown shredded rubber will increase evaporation inside as our clay soil holds water like a sponge!

We have terrible soil with nearly zero organic material or minerals and when dry is highly hydrophobic and when watered properly, wet enough to cause mold... I was forward looking enough to include a length of low voltage wire I can connect to the lighting system so I can run a RV fan if moisture remains an issue. ;-)

Anyway, just wanted to say Howdy all, and thanks for building a wealth of data for folks like me. While I've grown plenty of food crops, this new crop has it's own special care and requirements and I LOVE learning. Hope I can give back as my experience, excuse the pun, grows!

I'm currently growing two strains. Julius Caesar which is showing the over watering stress and Corleone Kush which is growing perfectly.

Yes, you should pot that baby before any of the ultra fine roots begin to show from the tap root extending from the seed.

If you soaked your seed in water, then placed it/them between the fold of a paper towel, those ultra fine roots will adhere to the paper towel as if is soil, so it is best to get it potted sooner than later.

If one waits a tad too long, one can carefully cut that portion of the paper towel and plant with the small piece of towel as it is biodegradable... Once potted you should see growth in a few days.

I prefer a small pot and transplanting into a larger pot after substantial development, but that's a personal preference. If you aren't using pots, then obviously this doesn't apply!

I did a search and found a link which you may find helpful. I learned something, but I'm not so sold on the validity... They instruct placing a seed with the point up. This is where the tap root exits the seed. I placed mine point down... When younger I never paid any attention to the position of the seed... Depth is far more important as is compaction.

Too deep and the seed dies before reaching the surface. Same if compacted too firmly, but here's the link and you may wish to read several to decide what make sense to you! Cannabis seeds sowing position, placement in soil pointed end up

It isn't really complex, so please don't let differing "opinions" hold you back. Suggestions and opinions all have one thing in common and are a poor substitute for personal experience... It's a Weed, for crying out loud and will grow wild all by it's self if allowed...

Get'R Done! :rocker:

Thanks Smokey bones, but I really am new to this. Farming is farming really, so the basics are much the same. I really enjoy learning something new every day and this is a new challenge, so I'm just "all in" and more than happy to share any knowledge I've gained.

While getting old bites, one advantage is experienced gained and the chance to share life's "short cuts" of experience, so others don't need to repeat my mistakes ;-)

That's the concept of "paying forward" :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom