Flower With CFLs

Hashashin200

Can you get a large yield with CFLs? I've been looking at grow journalsand it looks like everyone is just auto flowering with them. I have plant outside right now and i want it to get a few feet tall and I'm going to bring it under 350w of cfl too bud if and finish it inside. Is if possible to get around 2 oz per plant this way??

Also I can get a 300w led instead. Would that work for a full plant? I don't want to auto flower those whole plants look like the size of a branch I would want on my plant.

Also I can get a 300w led instead. Would that work for a full plant? I don't want to auto flower those whole plants look like the size of a branch I would want on my plant.

"Auto flower" means you are growing a strain that is crossed with Ruderalis, which flowers on its own schedule, regardless of daylength. Bringing a plant indoors under 12/12 is not autoflowering. (Just trying to figure out what you are talking about).

As for lighting, each bulb has a limited radius of effective light, which drops off dramatically, the farther away a branch is from the bulb. You would be better off to have several bulbs rather than one big one. You can mix cfls with the more expensive lights to get to those shaded areas, to get a higher yield than you would with cfl's alone (or one high-wattage bulb).

I grow using only cfls because of finances and to keep the temperatures down in my closets. I'll know my yield will be smaller than those growers with more expensive set-ups. Be prepared to shell out big bucks to get monster colas. ;-)

Well, as I've said before, I am an optimist. With 4-way LSTing, enough light, the right amount of nutes, you could get 2 or more OZ off one plant. But she will have to be pretty big: 8 colas in at least a 5 gallon pot or pan, and lights all over. More roots = larger yield, so I've read.

I will be surprised to get 1/2 oz dry off my first Lady, who is rapidly coming to harvest, grown entirely under cfls in a 3-gallon pot.

It depends on the actual draw of the CFLs, as well as many other things. They have an 'equivalent' power, and an actual draw. For example: 100W equivalent is typically 23W actual.

Good growers can get about 1g/W, and if this is your first grow and things go pretty well, expect about half of that or a little less. There are a lot more variables than lighting!

You'll also want to get different bulb spectrums for veg and flowering, so it can add up. I almost went this route, but opted for one of the Mars 300W LEDs instead. Keep in mind the actual draw on this too is only about 185W.

Check out the lighting section in this sticky for more info:
How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

Do you think I can get 2 ounces off a plant at least?

That depends on you, anything is possible. Since you are asking this question the answer I would give you is no. With some experience then maybe you might achieve 2oz per plant. :tokin::tokin:

Hi Hash, Yes, certainly, it's possible. I've grown twice and my first grow I used CFLs. I was a rookie and had really poor equipment. I think I had total of 150 watts. Some were 13w bulbs and I think I had some 23w too. I also had 2 long CFL tubes of unknown wattage. Really a monkey setup. I grew one plant called The Doctor from Greenhouse Seeds. All dried, including a small amount of popcorn buds, it weighed 1. 4oz.

So, to answer your question, yes, it should be possible for the average grower to to hit 2 ounces. It's pretty basic really. Good CFL light setup, a good seed start, good seedling care, good soil and good overall care. I gave mine a bad start, lots of stress and all kinds of abuse abuse and it still rewarded me with more than I expected. I would bet one of the pros here could get 3+ out of one plant under CFLs easily.

Rillos, I didn't see your reply until I posted mine but I think we are saying exactly the same thing. It's why I didn't hit 2 ounces.

i have seen plenty of monster cfl cola's , better results from many smaller wattage globes than 1 150-300 watt
but if your using a 300w cfl/led you might as well get a 400 watt hps lamp then your definately in the game for big buds.
i know guys who can pull a single 1 ounce cola plant under 100 watt of cfl. experience and dont be afraid to manipulate the crap out of your plant. not many other species could tolerate what cannabis can.

Back
Top Bottom