Fluctuating Temperatures with lights on

TG40

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and getting ready to start my first indoor, DWC grow. Here's my problem.
I have a 5x5x7 tent with a 400 watt hps in an air cooled hood. I got a 4" inline fan
And a 4" carbon filter. So the exhaust is piped from the filter to the hood and from the
Hood to the fan, and then the duct from the fan runs into the attic
To an attic vent. I have central AC, so I piped that into the tent. I the started running everything
To see what kind of temps I was going to get. With the lights on I was getting a fluctuating
Temperatures between 75 and 81. I think the fluctuations are do to the AC going off
And on. Is it okay to have fluctuations like this?

I decided that I wanted to add side lighting so I added one 26 watt cfl
in each corner of the tent. My temps jumped up to A fluctuating temp of 84 and 91 degrees with the AC.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I really wanted to try the
To have some side lighting, should I forget about the side lighting? What if I got a bigger
Fan? I will post some pics this weekend. I really appriciate any advice you guys can give.

Hi

Over 80 is too high without CO2. From my own experience as well as what's on the forum here. My guess is that the air con is causing the fluctuations because you're piping it direct into the tent whereas its supposed to be going into a much larger area where it wouldn't cause such impact on the temps. It sounds like your fan may not be extracting enough heat.

Are you shading the temp gauge?
What CFM is your fan?
How thick is the carbon filter?

You might want to look here: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Which would lead you to these:

What temperature will my growspace get and how much ventilation will I need?
What Range Should I Maintain For My Growroom Humidity & Temperature?

Hi

Over 80 is too high without CO2. From my own experience as well as what's on the forum here. My guess is that the air con is causing the fluctuations because you're piping it direct into the tent whereas its supposed to be going into a much larger area where it wouldn't cause such impact on the temps. It sounds like your fan may not be extracting enough heat.

Are you shading the temp gauge?
What CFM is your fan?
How thick is the carbon filter?

You might want to look here: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Which would lead you to these:

What temperature will my growspace get and how much ventilation will I need?
What Range Should I Maintain For My Growroom Humidity & Temperature?
Thanks for the response, and I will checking out the other thread as you mentioned.

I am shading the thermometer.
I believe it is an 140 cfm fan.
I really don't know the thickness of the carbon filter.
If I take the filter out would that tell me if the filter is clogged
It is a used filter.
Thanks

Thanks for the response, and I will checking out the other thread as you mentioned.

I am shading the thermometer.
I believe it is an 140 cfm fan.
I really don't know the thickness of the carbon filter.
If I take the filter out would that tell me if the filter is clogged
It is a used filter.
Thanks

I'm not too sure about the filter being clogged, I guess it depends on how much its holding your fan back, it may not even be clogged but just really restrictive of air flow. I have a closet setup but I find that my makeshift cooltube made a 10 degree difference to my temps as opposed to a standard reflector, and that was just with a 50cfm fan which is struggling with the ducting and probably operating at half that. As a result I am purchasing a proper cool tube. Also how much room is there to let air into your setup? A fan cant push air out it the air cant be replaced somewhere. Pics would be good.

I'm not too sure about the filter being clogged, I guess it depends on how much its holding your fan back, it may not even be clogged but just really restrictive of air flow. I have a closet setup but I find that my makeshift cooltube made a 10 degree difference to my temps as opposed to a standard reflector, and that was just with a 50cfm fan which is struggling with the ducting and probably operating at half that. As a result I am purchasing a proper cool tube. Also how much room is there to let air into your setup? A fan cant push air out it the air cant be replaced somewhere. Pics would be good.

I will get a cool tube then, and now that you mentioned it by ducting the AC into the tent I'm raising the temperature in the room which would make the intake air at 80.

Thanks for your input, this might help.

the big thing about your dwc is keeping your water temp cool. I grow in soil so take this with a grain of salt. but where are you taking your temp from is it near the light or where the plants are? again I grow in soil but I've read that if your water temp is at or below 70 you should be ok. as far as the temp of the grow area I dont think that the side lites are raising your temps that much. again it depends on where you are reading those temps. good luck bro and check the temp where the plants are not up high where the light is:peace:

Fish cake,

Yea, that is a good point about the area that my thermo is hanging. It's off to the side but about the same level as the light. I bought a cool tube anyways. Thanks

Has it made a difference? I got mine in the mail yesterday (was using a home made one).

Has it made a difference? I got mine in the mail yesterday (was using a home made one).

Dont Know havnt gotten it yet, still waiting for it anyday now.

Mt_tent.jpg

400_watt_Light_CFLs_are_temporary.jpg

DIY_DWC_Res_.jpg

Grow_Tent4.jpg

Here are the pics of my tent, the CFLs are temporary for some seedlings that are sprouting. The CFL's will be moving to all four corners for side lighting. I have a cool white, and warm white going in each corner. To accomidate the higher temps I have a cooltube, and 6" inline fan coming. I am planning on taking the light in these photos and moving it along with the 4" fan into a closet in the same room and the closet will be for veg. The new cooltube and 6" fan will go in the tent and will be for flowering. Any suggestions on how I can make this better please let me know, and thanks in advance.:peace:

I will start a journal soon, still working on controlling the temps.
I finally got my 6" fan and 6" cooltube, wondering if there are any
Thoughts on running the 6" fan with the new 6" cooltube, but still using
The 4" carbon filter. Would this work still? Would the 6" to 4" reducer really limit air flow
That much? (I should have paid more attention when I worked for that air conditioning
Company) i wonder if that would wear out the fan over time. Any thoughts
On this?:peace:

Back
Top Bottom