Flushing soil

farmertango

420 Member
I stop feeding my plants nutes 1 week before harvest. The only reason I do it is because the dude who taught me does it. He says if you don’t, you’ll have salts/nutes in the bud and it will crackle when lighting. Bro science?

I stop feeding my plants nutes 1 week before harvest. The only reason I do it is because the dude who taught me does it. He says if you don’t, you’ll have salts/nutes in the bud and it will crackle when lighting. Bro science?

Hi @farmertango and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Definitely bro science.... you will find that with properly cured pot with lots of trichomes, it actually does snap crackle and pop when you light it, and it has nothing to do with salts or nutes in the buds. Your dude is a relic, still believing the basement grow science of the 1960's. Today we know that there are no nutes in the buds and certainly not salts, and that to get the biggest and baddest buds, it is necessary to feed them right to the end, just like what happens in nature or any organic grow.

When I lived out in the country, I grew cannabis constantly, so I always had jars full of the stuff. A good friend lived a few minutes further out, and ended up stopping every day on his way home from work to get high and take a bud or two home for the rest of the evening. I didn't think anything of it, because I had enough that I was smoking all the time, giving it away left and right, etc. But always getting free bud must have bothered him, because he showed up one day and announced, "It's my turn to supply the bud!" He'd bought a quarter-ounce of something or other. Looked like just average bud - not spectacular in appearance, but it wasn't broken off of a brick, either. He grabbed one of my papers, crumbled up a pile, rolled a joint... And it wouldn't burn. By that, I mean he couldn't get the thing lit! It was like trying to set fire to a log with a match, lol. Wasn't because it was still wet. Wasn't because resin/tar was accumulating. Just seemed like he'd bought "fireproof dope" :rolleyes: .

And when you fought with it with a lighter and got it to glow for a moment or two, it tended to throw "sparkles," like when you've got an open flame and knock the flint powder out of a Bic lighter onto it. He kept trying and trying while I rolled up a few joints of my bud - and ended up with some kind of... something. It was like a piece of carbon.

He decided that "it must not have been flushed." I didn't know what to think. I wondered if it was some kind of fake cannabis from a novelty store or something, but didn't have a clue. Later, I came to the conclusion that it was probably grown by someone who didn't know the first thing about the activity and, therefore, had really screwed up his/her fertilizer ratios, long term. Maybe way too much phosphorous and not nearly enough nitrogen/potassium or, IDK, something serious.

Regardless, no amount of "flushing" would have saved that bud. It was just... garbage. But I wonder if that's how the whole "flushing" tales got started? People have no idea what they're doing, buy whatever they see in gardening/etc. stores, guess at which to use, when, and how much (and WtF is pH? ;) ) - and end up with a pile of crap. Two or three grows later, they've either learned something or they get lucky, and harvest usable product. But they also thought, "Hey, maybe I should flush this plant..."

And spend the rest of their days assuming that A + B = a baloney sandwich. So to speak. No connection at all, but since he did a thing - and his bud was smokable, well...

The Internet being what it is - and Homo sapiens being what they are - two or three weeks after five people post that "flushing" worked for them, we had 100,000 people swearing that it was a thing, necessary, et cetera. . . . .

Back
Top Bottom