Food Safe Plastic For Hydro?

WildAbbie

I'm thinking of making a recirculating 5 gal bucket hydro system. I have found food safe buckets in red, blue or green, but I can't find a food safe black bucket. Would these other colors prevent algae or will I have to cover them?

Also, I need 3/4" tubing for the recirculation plumbing, and smaller tubing to carry water from a manifold in the reservoir. I've read that hydro tubing is typically either Polyvinyl Chloride (called PVC/Vinyl) or Polyethylene. Everyone seems to carry PVC tubing, which I would like to avoid because of possible exposure to Phthalates. Polyethylene is a safe choice but I've heard that it is much more rigid than soft PVC tubing and I'm not sure how well it would work with elbows and stuff.

Any thoughts or sources of food safe plastic hydro stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings!! Red or blue would work just fine. I would either paint the buckets black, or wrap them in something that is opaqe. When it comes to algae, the best prevention is to keep your resevoir cool. I understand your concern about Phthalates; they are a problem when they are ingested through food or liquid, or are otherwise able to pass a mucous membrane. PVC on your hydro setup will not expose you. Hope this helps.

:rollit:

The PEX system is the new standard when it comes to running water lines indoors. It requires a crimping tool that you can rent from any rental place or big hardware store. They have 3/4 and 1/2 crimping tools that run at last I looked right around $100. They used to make a combo crimp tool but have since outlawed them because of inconstant crimping.
So at each elbow there would be two crimp fittings. The pipe is easy to work with as well as the fitting they are designed to be used with. I almost went this way but decided to use what I had around PVC and some food grade tubing 3/4 and 1/2/

Wake~~n~~Bakin in NM
Hyrdo setup for upcomming cabinet- Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom