Fox Farm vs General Hydroponics: DWC Closet Grow Comparison

What's your favorite Nutrient company? For any application!

• Advanced Nutrients

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fox Farm

• I make my own mix

• Total voters

RedZedHead

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do a side by side comparison of these nutes
This will be my second grow journal that will be mostly picture-based. All of the plants in this journal and their problems will already be discussed in my main journal, see link in the signature. But I wanted to find out for myself first hand which nute company dominates in 4 key areas that are most important to me:
- stability/ nute cooperation (I don't want to have a drop of sweat fall in the reservoir and throw off the ph) I also want the EC to be on point to the companies provided guidelines, especially if I'm following the instructions properly.
- yield (obviously)
- growth rate (I wanna see you stretch, baby)
- root density and health (should look like a healthy mess of tiny tentacles)

The story is that my roommate bought me 50$ worth of GH nutes before he knew that I had bought Fox farm nutes. Well, he wants a slice of the harvest. I accept. :passitleft: I'll have him buy a few more nutes for a larger piece of the pie.

The fox farm plants are in 2 5 gallon DWC, and I might add more buckets in the future.

The GH plants will be in 2 14-gallon totes in a separate closet. the seeds are currently germinating and I will plant them soon.

Here are the grow schedules that I will be using:
Fox farm hydroponic feeding schedule
1588773582499.png

General Hydroponics
1588773834242.png

I won't be using all of the nutes for each company, but I will definitely be trying out the root mass expanders from each company, Rapidstart from GH and Kangaroots from FF. I assume that this is fair because both nutes are root expanders. As well as some late bloom nutes later on.
I encourage you to follow along! I am excited to see the results!

Just a reminder: If I ever underline something in my journals it's because I want to hear from you especially regarding that topic. So don't be afraid to jump in!

I'll wrap this up with a laugh. Check out this amazon review for GH flora series. :rofl:
1588774613547.png

Thanks for reading! Grow On Blaze on! :blunt:

I use technaflora pura vida. It is a one part or can be used as a two part. It is simple to use without making any mistakes or taking so much time to mix nutes. They also have a line called B.C hydro nutes which is a three part. I have used GH and FF nutes they do ok just can be touchy. I will say if there is a top five worst smelling Cal/mag GH is for sure in top three.

Unless they are clones the last 3 items will be subjective at best for a true comparison

But the 1st item is usually the most important in DWC anyways
Yes, I'll be doing this with different strains so I'll have to take that into account with my comparison. I won't fault the nute company for the strains' limitations.

I use technaflora pura vida. It is a one part or can be used as a two part. It is simple to use without making any mistakes or taking so much time to mix nutes. They also have a line called B.C hydro nutes which is a three part. I have used GH and FF nutes they do ok just can be touchy. I will say if there is a top five worst smelling Cal/mag GH is for sure in top three.
I was doing a little bit of research on technaflora last night. I might have to try their "recipe for success kit" for a small auto grow during the summer. journal maybe?
I will say if there is a top five worst smelling Cal/mag GH is for sure in top three.
It's already on its way here :rofl:

Update 5-8-2020
I setup my second closet today and set up my 14 gallon tote. After mixing the nutes and lowering ph, the EC came out SO high. I try diluting it and trying all of these things.
Then I realized that the GH chart is in PPM
and the FF chart is in EC. :eek:
Noted.​
After the diluting, I realized my original calculation of there being 12 gallons of water in the 14-gallon tote was pretty darn close. PPM came out to 900, the reccomended for week 2 is 1000-1200. Close enough. I'll just have to change res sooner. And switch the meter to PPM.:rofl:
Here she is, the GH tote baby
Thanks for reading folks. More to come.
Grow on Blaze on :blunt:

The recipe for success kit was the first nutes I used for couple years from that company. Very easy to use and awesome results. That was before technaflora came out with the pura vida which is a organic line from them that can be used in hydro as well. Now I just use the pura vida line. I still use the cloning gel that you will get in the kit it was one of the best I have used from many companies. I wish you the best take care. Ps be ready to plug your nose with that Gh Cal/Mag lol

It's not much of a comparison if your using completely different seeds. Your results could be purely genetic and you would never know.

Nutrients for plants are a lot like gasoline for your car. It really only matters if it's so bad the car/plant can't use it. That's not to say all fertilizers are the same but if your running a lineup that's marketed towards Cannabis your going to have the stuff you need to feed your plants.

Growing is all about balance, because something works once for someone does not mean it will always work for everyone.

The most important part is finding what works best for you, there is no one size fits all best answer for any questions related to growing.

It's not much of a comparison if your using completely different seeds. Your results could be purely genetic and you would never know.

Nutrients for plants are a lot like gasoline for your car. It really only matters if it's so bad the car/plant can't use it. That's not to say all fertilizers are the same but if your running a lineup that's marketed towards Cannabis your going to have the stuff you need to feed your plants.

Growing is all about balance, because something works once for someone does not mean it will always work for everyone.

The most important part is finding what works best for you, there is no one size fits all best answer for any questions related to growing.
I will be using different seeds mixed all over, but I have plans of getting two more buckets. I'll be using two different strains, critical purple and northern lights. one CP in the tote with a NL feeding GH nutes - and one CP bucket and one NL bucket with FF nutes. So there will be a side by side comparison in that sense.
"seeds are collectable souvenirs"

sorry I might have confused people. Northern lights and critical purple are the only seeds I've bought
the plant that is currently in the tote and the two in buckets are random seeds given to me by friends. some of them might be males. so ill have 3 or more strains in this comparison.

Back
Top Bottom