Fresh Frozen Live Rosin: Still worthwhile without a freeze dryer?

LoGiK287

Hey everyone,

Seems everyone who wants to make fresh frozen hash rosin has the same hang up - no one wants to spend 5G on a freezer dryer (If you have, and you live around Calgary, can we be new best friends? lol).

I've made a few batches from recent harvests, freezing about 50% of my harvests. Run through bubble bags after 1-2 days in the deep freezer, dry in a cardboard box, then press through 25u bags. It has resulted in the tastiest dabs of my life, and it's all that I want to focus on now.

Cured flower seems to yield more hash and therefore more rosin. When you don't have a freeze dryer, you're forced to allow your hash to dry before pressing, the same as your flower would be dried if you hung them at harvest.

Without a freeze dryer, my hash is being dried nearly the same amount of time that my flower would be dried. I'm now wondering If I'm ending up at the same end stage with a partially cured trichome being pressed into rosin. Whether its cured after its hash, or cured on the flower, is there a difference?

So all of this work to freeze your harvest ASAP, is there any actual terpene preservation? Or are you are simply seeing the same drying and terpene loss occur in your hash instead of the flower.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the topic :lot-o-toke:

Old, but what the hell..

Curing on the plant is different from curing off the plant.

During a whole plant cure, enzymes in the plant are still able to create secondary metabolites (THCA, cannabinoids, terpinoids, flavonoids, etc..) As long as the trichomes are connected to the plant tissue, the plant will continue filling them with metabolites until it is fully dried. If you detach the trichomes, that process no longer occurs.

This is also why you're seeing more hash from a cured plant vs fresh. Because the plant kept producing during the cure.

So yes, there is a big difference between the rosin you get from whole plant cured vs just curing the trichomes.

Back
Top Bottom