Fridge Dry

Tra,

I know we haven't interacted much (you seemed hellbent on thinking that I was reporting you :laughtwo: , so I kept my distance out of respect)...but truth is I've never hit report on anyone other then spammers and one guy who was knocking a newbie down.

I've always looked forward to your posts, and wished I had that charismatic humor of yours.

We all come here to learn to grow this medicine, but laughter is another important medicine and one we all need.

You're a treasure on here and always welcomed in my books.

And I'm glad I could finally return the favor and make you smile :)
FYI I never for even a millisecond thought you were reporting me. Not ever, so I’m not sure why you thought that.

FYI I never for even a millisecond thought you were reporting me. Not ever, so I’m not sure why you thought that.
Really? I had it stuck in my head. I'm kinda screwed up that way, well that's just one of the ways .

I'm truly glad we had this conversation :love:

Really? I had it stuck in my head. I'm kinda screwed up that way, well that's just one of the ways .

I'm truly glad we had this conversation :love:
That’s the thing when it comes to humans. We all have self centred tendencies to a point where we think everything is about us, particularly if it’s negative, when in fact it’s not.

When ever there is a complaint at work and the boss sends out a group email, each one of us nurses convince ourselves we are the nurse to blame, when in fact for all we know it could be one of the many clueless casuals that work on my ward.

Us humans are so weird aye?

Anyhoo, I’m sorry if I in anyway added to your negative inner dialog.

We’re all fucked in one way or another bruv.

I think that great philosopher Rob Thomas sang it best.

New guy here so please be gentle. I have read many of the threads here about drying in the fridge. What I can't seem to find is the reason for using paper bags while doing so. I have an old fridge so it is smaller than anything built in the last 50 years, built before "frost free" was an option. Last Sunday I harvested my one GrandDaddy Purple, washed it and trimmed the big water leaves, and hung to dry for a few hours. Then because of my limited space I removed most to the big stems and now they are hanging in the fridge. Temp has been a consistant 34-39F and now 3 days in the RF is staying between 50% and 60% (I keep looking in to monitor). RF started at around 75.
So my question is . . . if I can keep a constant RF at 55 or lower, do I really need the bags? Aren't they just to speed things along early on, and then to kind of keep things at an even number?
Second question is . . . Is there a problem leaving them hanging to dry? Is this adding a whole lot of additional drying time by keeping the stem above the greenery? My longest branches are maybe 10-12 inches end to tip. But it was an easy way to keep them apart from one another.
Any and all helpful comments would be most appreciated. Rock on.

New guy here so please be gentle. I have read many of the threads here about drying in the fridge. What I can't seem to find is the reason for using paper bags while doing so. I have an old fridge so it is smaller than anything built in the last 50 years, built before "frost free" was an option. Last Sunday I harvested my one GrandDaddy Purple, washed it and trimmed the big water leaves, and hung to dry for a few hours. Then because of my limited space I removed most to the big stems and now they are hanging in the fridge. Temp has been a consistant 34-39F and now 3 days in the RF is staying between 50% and 60% (I keep looking in to monitor). RF started at around 75.
So my question is . . . if I can keep a constant RF at 55 or lower, do I really need the bags? Aren't they just to speed things along early on, and then to kind of keep things at an even number?
Second question is . . . Is there a problem leaving them hanging to dry? Is this adding a whole lot of additional drying time by keeping the stem above the greenery? My longest branches are maybe 10-12 inches end to tip. But it was an easy way to keep them apart from one another.
Any and all helpful comments would be most appreciated. Rock on.
Hello there and welcome to the best website in the world - not including Gwyneth Paltrow Goop site!

Short answer: I have no idea.

There is a member here who dries in the fridge in jars. And he’s like a proper grower. I’m just a newbie really. He goes on how the buds sound when he shakes the jar. There is also another proper grower called Mr Sauga and he’s written a tutorial. If you go to the ask questions section and start a thread, help will come :) sorry I’m not it.

Only thing I’d say is defs stop opening and shutting the fridge. I only opened it twice a day.

@SmokingWings

The comparison isn’t as jaw dropping as I imagined lolllll. However I do think you can clearly see a room with uncontrolled humidity isn’t the best for drying.

I had to find 3 similar buds for a fair comparison too.

DA41A3B8-62EF-4450-B3E0-D16487E010D8.jpeg

However I do think you can clearly see a room with uncontrolled humidity isn’t the best for drying.
The humidity spikes really influence the drying. It can be dry and the harvest starts to dry to fast. Then a day later the humidity goes back up and drying stops and while the buds might not pick up extra moisture from the air they certainly cannot continue to dry until something changes.

Drying in the fridge is so easy. I do what I can to get the process started by washing and then air drying that excess water off. Putting the buds into a bag is another step in controlling how fast the drying takes place and that brings up that I have always dried the harvest in a bag with one exception. The fridge itself is a great way to let our kitchen appliances to do some of the work for us. I no longer have to check once or sometimes twice a day.

I had to find 3 similar buds for a fair comparison too.
Great picture.

Enough info to tell us what you are seeing, etc and most viewers would not have to sit and try to figure out what is going on. I have noticed that drying in a bag in a room without any ability to control the humidity does change the color more than when there is a level of control.

Am I crazy or just unlucky. One small Grandaddy Purple cut at base of stem, washed and hung in a small referigerator to dry. Hygrometer was reading 34-38F for nearly 4 days and RH went from 80% to 51% in 4 days. I panicked and put buds in jars 3/4 full. Overnight jars went up to over 75RH. So Thurs. night I split buds in half and put in paper bags. In 12 - 16 hrs RH in both bags is back down into the 50's. Do I really have to keep alternating just to keep things from curing too fast? This is really beating up my buds. Should I just leave the paper sacks closed up for a week and not worry about molding?
Help a brother out?

Am I crazy or just unlucky. One small Grandaddy Purple cut at base of stem, washed and hung in a small referigerator to dry. Hygrometer was reading 34-38F for nearly 4 days and RH went from 80% to 51% in 4 days. I panicked and put buds in jars 3/4 full. Overnight jars went up to over 75RH. So Thurs. night I split buds in half and put in paper bags. In 12 - 16 hrs RH in both bags is back down into the 50's. Do I really have to keep alternating just to keep things from curing too fast? This is really beating up my buds. Should I just leave the paper sacks closed up for a week and not worry about molding?
Help a brother out?
I get the feeling that you are overthinking the process.

If the refrigerator is used for keeping foods cold then the humidity will change a small amount as the food gives off moisture. When the door is opened there is a change in the air inside as some flows into the room and room air replaces it.

Your last true question is ..."Should I just leave the paper sacks closed up for a week and not worry about molding?' and I would think this is the best way. Let the fridge and the brown paper bag do the work.

As for the concern about mold one of the main reasons we have refrigerators is to preserve foods. The cold temperatures keep the foods from getting moldy.

Great picture.

Enough info to tell us what you are seeing, etc and most viewers would not have to sit and try to figure out what is going on. I have noticed that drying in a bag in a room without any ability to control the humidity does change the color more than when there is a level of control.
Thank you for that. It was very nice of you to say.

:)

Help a brother out?
I am defs not at the giving advice stage. Hopefully the more experienced grow fridge driers will chime in.

Great photo of the three different drying methods!
Thank you :)

I’m not know for great photography tbh. It was a right glamour shoot with me chanting “work it baby, work itttttt”. Lollll

Back
Top Bottom