Fridge Dry

Hi I was hoping to get some advice regarding fridge drying.

I have a small sized frost free fridge freezer and I am currently drying 3 different timed trims. The first went in on the 22nd Sept and the next maybe 4 days ago. I noticed the adding of the 3rd harvest dramatically effected the humidity of the first two bags. The humidity was 50% in the older bags and it went up to 75% with the additional wet MJ. And is still 70% today.

I have just harvested the rest of the two remaining plants and the bud is really dense. I’ve washed and my long winded question is, will adding more wet weed negativity effect the MJ that is drying?

Should I just dry this stuff on my line? And in future stagger my harvesting drying?

Any advice welcome.

:)

Hi I was hoping to get some advice regarding fridge drying.

I have a small sized frost free fridge freezer and I am currently drying 3 different timed trims. The first went in on the 22nd Sept and the next maybe 4 days ago. I noticed the adding of the 3rd harvest dramatically effected the humidity of the first two bags. The humidity was 50% in the older bags and it went up to 75% with the additional wet MJ. And is still 70% today.

I have just harvested the rest of the two remaining plants and the bud is really dense. I’ve washed and my long winded question is, will adding more wet weed negativity effect the MJ that is drying?

Should I just dry this stuff on my line? And in future stagger my harvesting drying?

Any advice welcome.

Hey trala how are you doing today.
Congratulations on your harvest.
Adding anything damp to your fridge will automatically increase rh in suck a small space.
Do you have a hygrometer in each bag.
It may increase drying time for bags that are already drying but I don't think it will hurt.
Just increases your drying time.
Hopefully someone with more experience can clarify a bit better.
Stay safe.
Bill

Adding anything damp to your fridge will automatically increase rh in suck a small space.
Do you have a hygrometer in each bag.
It may increase drying time for bags that are already drying but I don't think it will hurt.
Just increase your time.
I do not have a hygrometer but I have noticed the same as Bill when I put an extra brown paper bag into the 'fridge. Eventually it evened out and everything dried without a problem, just took a bit longer.

Mmm first time I've heard about fridge drying :green_heart:

If some one don't mind explaining some sizzle I would be pleased to hear :thumb:

Ye it would appear adding a wet item to semi dried items may migrated the RH a little...

Need to see some pic's off this in process for real eye candy :ganjamon:

Mmm first time I've heard about fridge drying :green_heart:

If some one don't mind explaining some sizzle I would be pleased to hear :thumb:

Ye it would appear adding a wet item to semi dried items may migrated the RH a little...

Need to see some pic's off this in process for real eye candy :ganjamon:
I have to leave for work soon, if no one has responded before I finish I’ll get you some links.

Drying game changer in my opinion, look I say that but in reality I’ve only dried 3 small buds so far. I’ll get back to you in 2 weeks for a true report;)

OMG I have zero idea what I’m doing wrong. The practice Tangerine Dream bud I took is already in jars she went in day 11 and the last of it went in today - so not slow. It is 61% in the jar. I am finding once it hits 35% humidity in the fridge bag I need to get it in a jar ASAP.

So obviously it’s not the slow dry I’m aiming for. My line drying is always ready for the jar in 3-4 days. Even in 65% humidity and total darkness.

I have been writing down my humidity since 02/11 because I think I will remember the numbers, but of course I don’t. And as you can see my humidity temps are up and down like a brides nightie! I’m rotating the bud through the fridge from the top cheese sort of section, to the shelves, to the fruit and veg crisper. I am shaking twice a day and recording. The temp of the room I do it in is 65%. Not sure if that even matters lollll

Should I pull it out and air dry from this point or just trust the process? My climate doesn’t seem to follow the same rules as the majority of growers in here.

I just don’t know what to do. And I want whatever decision I make on it going forward to be informed. They bud looks so beautiful, I’d hate to ruin it.

Here are my fridge humidity bag temps. All advice appreciated:)

23D6FB8F-6E57-410E-8B2E-479BDEE4F7A6.jpeg
CA39044E-88BC-4AD8-B099-5C7EDD646098.jpeg

Well, well Miss T, believe me I’m no expert at dry / cureo_O

Small lunch bags or large grocery bags? Is your fridge loaded with food? Does fridge have humidity control dial?

Heres what I do…. bud soak, drip dry for 4 hours, wet trim fans & anything crispy. Dry hang in dark for a day… or 3 with fan moving air….. straight to large grocery bags in fridge. Not sure how far off from official recipe I am but that’s my deal.

I would trust the process…. but let’s get more input

Put all your mini hygrometers plus your grow room hygrometer in one spot for 30 minutes then compare rh digits….. I have 4 hygrometers in 1 grow room & get 4 different rh values all day

Well, well Miss T, believe me I’m no expert at dry / cureo_O

Small lunch bags or large grocery bags? Is your fridge loaded with food? Does fridge have humidity control dial?

Heres what I do…. bud soak, drip dry for 4 hours, wet trim fans & anything crispy. Dry hang in dark for a day… or 3 with fan moving air….. straight to large grocery bags in fridge. Not sure how far off from official recipe I am but that’s my deal.

I would trust the process…. but let’s get more input

Put all your mini hygrometers plus your grow room hygrometer in one spot for 30 minutes then compare rh digits….. I have 4 hygrometers in 1 grow room & get 4 different rh values all day
Hi K :)

The 2 x small bags are like tuck shop/lunch bags. But the 4 larger ones are patient discharge medication bags. They are a bit thinker paper. No food in the fridge. Hmmm I don’t know about the humidity aspect. It is frost free I know that.

Good idea with the humidity thingys. I’ll go do it now.

I do not have any of those hygrometers to put in the fridge. I use the force and go by basic gut instinct. Yes, I have one in the grow room and one in the tent but only look at those if I feel the air in the room is too humid in the warm months, or too dry in the winter when the furnace and natural dry winter air re-enforce each other.

but in reality I’ve only dried 3 small buds so far.
My experience is that the fewer buds on stems in the bag the faster it dries. A full bag takes the longest. The stems hold a lot of moisture and the buds and any sugar leaves on the bud will slowly pull moisture from those stems. There is a lot influencing just how long it will take.

I do not know if others have noticed it but after several days, maybe 5, 6 or even 7 days, the buds start to feel dry to the touch but they are not dry. It is something happening because of the cold. I will take the bag out and leave it on the table or counter for an hour or more. They I open and check the buds and that gives me a more accurate feel for how dry they have become. Back in the fridge for a few more days and then check again. I have had large grocery bags with a couple ounces per bag take up 3 weeks to dry to the point where it was time to jar.

The 2 x small bags are like tuck shop/lunch bags. But the 4 larger ones are patient discharge medication bags.
Over here a number of pharmacies use a white paper bag for holding the bottles prescriptions come in while the customer is still in the store. These bags feel like they breath slower than the brown paper bags and they also feel like they have a coating on them which also would keep them from breathing as fast as brown paper. Something to think about when comparing the buds when some are in one type and some in the other type of bag.

I do not have any of those hygrometers to put in the fridge. I use the force and go by basic gut instinct. Yes, I have one in the grow room and one in the tent but only look at those if I feel the air in the room is too humid in the warm months, or too dry in the winter when the furnace and natural dry winter air re-enforce each other.

My experience is that the fewer buds on stems in the bag the faster it dries. A full bag takes the longest. The stems hold a lot of moisture and the buds and any sugar leaves on the bud will slowly pull moisture from those stems. There is a lot influencing just how long it will take.

I do not know if others have noticed it but after several days, maybe 5, 6 or even 7 days, the buds start to feel dry to the touch but they are not dry. It is something happening because of the cold. I will take the bag out and leave it on the table or counter for an hour or more. They I open and check the buds and that gives me a more accurate feel for how dry they have become. Back in the fridge for a few more days and then check again. I have had large grocery bags with a couple ounces per bag take up 3 weeks to dry to the point where it was time to jar.

Over here a number of pharmacies use a white paper bag for holding the bottles prescriptions come in while the customer is still in the store. These bags feel like they breath slower than the brown paper bags and they also feel like they have a coating on them which also would keep them from breathing as fast as brown paper. Something to think about when comparing the buds when some are in one type and some in the other type of bag.
I’m so sorry.

I missed this.

Thank you so much for your advice. My humidity thingys all read different temps (I did a test on them) with an 8% variation. I am starting to get a feel. I will keep using the humidity thingys just as a guide, mainly to check the humidity is going down.

I see now I’ve been doing drying all wrong.

Thanks again for helping me. I will tag you when I’ve finished the dry if you’d like a look.

Is there a SUMMARY post of how to fridge dry somewhere? Sounds like something I’d like to try!

Is there a SUMMARY post of how to fridge dry somewhere? Sounds like something I’d like to try!
The link is up above in this thread in msg #7.

It is a bit long but I always recommend reading all the way through to get the basic instructions and then the little short side notes of what other growers experienced.

Summary posts for how to:

As Smokin suggested, take the time to read through the whole thing posted in post #7 (in this thread).

Again, this is one of those things that we learn from others, and many adapt to their own way (Just like seed germination).

Temperature control is key- the lower temperature inside of a low RH environment is what slows the drying down.

I just put some in my harvest fridge the other day, the temperature right now is 4C and 50% RH.

I'm no pro, only done it with 4 plants previously.

Love to take a look.
I’ll be sure to tag you :)

I’m not sure why but my slow fridge dry seems to take 11-14 days. Not exactly the 3 weeks I was aiming for but it’s a damned sight better than the 3 days it takes to line dry here.

My climate seems to make for super fast drying.

I see now I have been drying all wrong in my previous grows.

I’ll be sure to tag you :)

I’m not sure why but my slow fridge dry seems to take 11-14 days. Not exactly the 3 weeks I was aiming for but it’s a damned sight better than the 3 days it takes to line dry here.

My climate seems to make for super fast drying.

I see now I have been drying all wrong in my previous grows.
Tra,

You have improved all your grow skills, and you make everyone smile along the way.
11-14 days for a dry sounds perfect to me
:green_heart:

Tra,

You have improved all your grow skills, and you make everyone smile along the way.
11-14 days for a dry sounds perfect to me
:green_heart:
Oh thank you Rexer!

That has made me really big smile.

I know there are some that don’t think I take growing seriously enough, but I really do. I try so hard when growing. And while I still make heaps of mistakes I think I’m improving. I just like to lol as I do it.

Oh thank you Rexer!

That has made me really big smile.

I know there are some that don’t think I take growing seriously enough, but I really do. I try so hard when growing. And while I still make heaps of mistakes I think I’m improving. I just like to lol as I do it.
Tra,

I know we haven't interacted much (you seemed hellbent on thinking that I was reporting you :laughtwo: , so I kept my distance out of respect)...but truth is I've never hit report on anyone other then spammers and one guy who was knocking a newbie down.

I've always looked forward to your posts, and wished I had that charismatic humor of yours.

We all come here to learn to grow this medicine, but laughter is another important medicine and one we all need.

You're a treasure on here and always welcomed in my books.

And I'm glad I could finally return the favor and make you smile :)

Back
Top Bottom