Gator's Cage

A 1 x 1 x 2m bud box with low noise, low power draw, and no stinkout would be worth thousands of dollars.
Per crop.

My favorite part of a cannabis's life-cycle is the stretch/early flowering.
Seeds are a PIA, mom maintainance and cloning are mechanical and boring.
Harvest is stressful, even if I'm too stoned to see from fumes. How much is here?

I'm moving away from a trellis for now. The 'cage' was always in my head, still is.
I'm also looking at GLH website everyday, the 180 looks good to replace 400w CMH.
The Democratic Republic of Congo has unfortunately proven this untrue.
Violence and rape have always been more about dominance/control than sex.
First you marginalize then dehumanize your victim, then your license for atrocity is 'valid'.
Corporations do Americans this way. The war on pot is but one example. Of course it is about money and nothing else. Pleas for humane considerations fall as nothing before greed-waxed ears. Boycott and non-violent civil disobedience are the only tools with proven efficacy for change. Facts and logic will never be recognized so long as a dollar can be stolen through artifice or force.
We no longer call our 'betters' Lord or Master. They are Mr President, and Mr Governor, and the ever so honorable Mayor Whodafukover.
We must 'Just say NO', and walk our own mile in our Chinese-made shoes.
And buy nothing made by DuPont, for a start.

Monsanto doesn't care so much about medicine weed, it's the sleeping giant: industrial hemp. Should be a gazillion dollar crop. I shouldn't live long enough to see Monsanto score big on that, but they are cash heavy now and our Supreme Court wears a price tag. Sorry Sots, at least the majority. Shame?

I tossed a coin, DuPont came up but there are many sides to that coin.

A 1 x 1 x 2m bud box with low noise, low power draw, and no stinkout would be worth thousands of dollars.
Per crop.

To many. It would not be to me because such a thing could be built for less. My labor, while not without worth, is free - or is that "already paid for," lol? - to me. For someone who doesn't sell and when he is without a harvest does without instead of purchasing cannabis, it just wouldn't be a sound decision. Ergo, its worth to me would only be the cost of materials.

My favorite part of a cannabis's life-cycle is the stretch/early flowering.

Yeah, me too! First time I ever heard of a product that could be sprayed on a crop to reduce/halt the stretch, I thought to myself, "WHY?!?" Later, of course, I realized that sometimes people find themselves in a situation where they have (are in the process of) overgrown their space or are outdoors and must depend on a spray to ensure stealth rather than visiting their garden and using training-methods and creative modification of the environment. At which point, my thought was, "What a shame that this is so."

Of course it is about money and nothing else.

<COUGH>Power<COUGH> plays a part as well. Some individuals feel the need to control, to dominate, to exercise their sadistic streak upon others. Where such individuals are concerned, even offering them a situation where they would receive an equal amount of money for changing their way would not be enough.

We must 'Just say NO', and walk our own mile in our Chinese-made shoes.
And buy nothing made by DuPont, for a start.

Harder to do every day as more and more products simply have no manufacturer in the US. While I try to limit my support of the PRC and other nations that fit my definition of the term "monster," it is not always possible in practice to completely abstain. Yes, that might be a cop-out in some ways. But I dislike going barefoot, lol. There is no one in my community who makes footwear. And I seem to like owning a computer that was made in this century.

It's like Wal*Mart. I don't shop there. I urge everyone that I come into contact with not to shop there. When met with the "But I can't afford not to" argument, I try to explain that it is one of the most expensive things that they can do in terms that they can understand. Even still... Mom goes to Wal*Mart. She buys food there (yeah, I know - scary). Not everything, and not every week; Mom is smart enough to use her head and to understand that their prices aren't the lowest across the board. But some foodstuffs are cheaper there from time to time. She is on a limited budget - and with her health continuing to worsen, it gets more limited all the time. I can not help out as much as I'd like. So for her, it is a case of doing some of her shopping there, or getting even less food than she already does (which is not enough, IMHO).

It brought home to me the fact that I cannot automatically despise a person for giving their custom to Wal*Mart.

But in general terms, lol... I am not one who enjoys the thought of even more government control, regulation, taxes, and meddling. But if something came up that would levy a tariff/tax against Wal*Mart - or the products that it imports - in order that other businesses and products could compete in todays marketplace, I would have to give my support to it. I would do so because I'd look at it as a way to force the general population of this country to help themselves when they seem determined not to do it.

In a way, I'd even feel that I would be helping the actual people living in the PRC. After all, as things stand now, we're sending vast amounts of money to that country and only a (relatively) infinitesimal amount ever trickles down to those people. What we're doing is empowering a bad regime.

If you're keeping a list, move Monsanto into the top 10... you just know they're working on a lock for pot seed breeding. ;)

:peace:

Top ten? I've ranked them at #1 for a long time. Ever since I learned that they were the king of GMO crops. Ever since I learned that they'd spliced genes from three different organisms (crossing the flora:fauna boundary) together. Ever since I learned that genes from said aberrations had been found in organisms around where such GMO crops were being grown - something that Monsanto doesn't seem to include in their advertisements, but instead takes the line that their products are safe. With their known penchant for suing (and winning the suits against) people who have been found to have crops that contained "Monsanto Genes" even when the people not only didn't plant Monsanto crops but didn't wish to have their crops polluted to begin with, I am somewhat surprised that Monsanto hasn't decided to claim ownership of all such organisms that now have Monsanto's genes in them. Maybe they're saving it until their genes start showing up in people?

[/Mega-RANT]

I am somewhat surprised that Monsanto hasn't decided to claim ownership of all such organisms that now have Monsanto's genes in them.
If they see a dollar, sue a farmer till he hollars
Farmer stands no chance in the hell
Of our courts in this land, where justice is damned
Money talks, losers weep, oh well?

Thanks Gator from a half a square metre grower.

My last grow under lights had three of my four babies decide to be boys so while they got to go live in the corner of my yard with the bottom half of my previous grow and make them mothers, their sister was left to fill a lot more space than she needed. I've got 15 23w CFLs on a suspended panel that has some, but not a lot of flexibility in hanging angle so, visualizing your setup, I repotted my little girl on her side, didn't worry about the third of the root ball that exposed cause it worked for you and she blessed me with a couple of ounces last night which is at least double what I expected. If you turn your head just so and suspend disbelief it's a vertical grow and I thank you for that.

Also this week I pulled the plug on my seed mothers. I normally dry on a wire rack but because I didn't want my seeds all over the floor and because I wanted a fast dry I copied the brilliant fish hook cut you use on your branches and hung mine around the inside edge of a brown paper yard waste bag.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and experience, it helps a lot,

Four inches. Deepest 'good' light from 250 is 16", from a 400 is 20" IMO.
That's more than two feet increased circumference, around which the plants are sited.

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out what to do with a 2' x 3.5' space and thought I might be able to squeeze in six plants with 2 Vert 250W but it sounds like that would be too tight.

Mr. Gator, I've read this thread from it's beginning and I recall you've made several references to a need for odour control and you've also mentioned limited available power, 20 amps for all your needs, also that you're in a multi unit building and you have an east and a west window.

I'd anticipated a need for odour control myself but the varieties I've chosen and the inherant porosity of a garden shed have put my plans on the back burner for now but my thoughts might be of some use to you. My plan was to start out simple, duct in air from the neighbor side of my shed using a .35 (that's POINT 35) amp, 6" inline duct fan, and duct it more or less straight to the other side of the building. Above my grow area I was going to insert a y connection in the duct such that the passing air would create a vacuum. Then I was going to cover the open end of the y fitting with foil and start experimenting with holes so as to find the smallest that would control the smell and still maintain the greatest dilution in my exit air. In your case you would also get the benefit of reduced air pressure in your room vis-a-vis the hallway outside your room, they'd never smell you.

I'm guessing if you daisy chained open ended grow bottles inside some of your mesh for support as your duct you'd spend ca $10 for the y and ca $35 for the fan, I guess the bottles come from self medicating cotton mouth so that's free, the passing air isn't heated or cooled so except for .35 amps to move it that's free and the peace of mind, well as they say, that's priceless.

Hey brother Gator, hope you don't mind me slingin' a few idea's I had into this inspiring growing method (vertical bare bulb). If you read my journal before I got the 600W, I actually found the 150W to be really decent light.

Here comes the crazy MountainHigh buzzed and spacing on things thoughts.

I almost went with running 3 150W fixtures, My love of SLH stopped this idea from becoming....she just loves to be a big girl, and that becomes a bit more problematic...maybe could of worked around it though, will never know and I think the 600W was a good choice for easy mode, it sits as high as it can get and I adjust the plants to it. But those security lights I bought for my first girl can be found occasionally for $43 shipped. My plan was to actually LST my girls so they grew up around the bulb or use a large tomato type cage the size of the pot 14 inch inside would be ideal for that bulb. Veg it like that until 1/2 full, then let stretch finish filling so each of my 3 allowed plants in bloom would of had their own bulb to hug on

Maybe someday, I will try it with my one bulb if I find some place to put it, and then grow just two in the closet and let them go HOG WILD!!!! :yahoo: (Not sure I will be able to squeeze a third in my closet in two weeks when I am supposed to...Cheese is taking advantage of no neighbor.

Sometimes their vigor amazes me...both my girls got a whole gallon of water last night and had just a dribble of runoff...WHAT! I took a picture of the girl I just harvested's root mass (will put in journal later with update) and it is a sponge of fine feeder roots that I assume are just covered in mycorrhizae (acts like a sponge I think and holds water for the plant).

Sorry for the ramble on...just out reading and this came out....wasn't me, it was DOW CHEMICAL, they made me do it...:)

Almost forgot this first idea, have you ever considered putting a regular HPS bulb in their for the first 4 weeks to stretch your girls into the cage then switch to CMH? Or just try one with an HPS to compare?

:peace: brother.

My son is thinking of using 1000w HPS in his room, because that's what he has.

Sorry, I'm just mumbling, my bulbs not here yet and I'm antsy :grinjoint:

^^^
My son is thinking of using 1000w HPS in his room, because that's what he has.

Sorry, I'm just mumbling, my bulbs not here yet and I'm antsy :grinjoint:

That makes sense when you realize that only a percentage grow vertically, and only a percentage grow with CMH. Whatever the percentage that does both, it's going to be less than either - and then factor in the percentage that visits any particular web forum and posts a journal... Plus, don't CMH only come in wattages up to 400? That limits their use in some eyes.

Nothing wrong with the Run What Ya Brung way of doing things; and that 1kW HPS is a powerful bulb. It will have the penetration to reach deep into a plant. Unfortunately, I don't know that its reach in the other directon would keep up with the penetration value. Some sort of diffuser(?) that threw part of the light upwards and/or downwards that was in a tube-shape would be extremely helpful when you step up to a bulb like that, I'd think.

IOW, I could see where a couple of 400-watt bulbs in series would do at least as well as one 1kW. Maybe. (Guessing, lol.)

EDIT: Can't wait to see the next generation of the Gator's Gadget. Will it be a continuation of this jornal, or will it begin a new thread?

Four plants, 250 or 400 bare vert CMH
Get your airflow & hydro right, and you'll do OK

How about one 250, and a couple cfls on the far sides :)

Oh, the many delightful possibilities! At the moment, 4 in the corner pockets with naked vert 400, LST plants stage right and stage left. Growth meets at the middle of the long side. :roorrip:

Oh, the many delightful possibilities!
There are those among us who would rather grow conventionally with solid success through proven routine, rather than some extreme grow pushing limits with higher likelihood of failure. Boring is boring :)
have you ever considered putting a regular HPS bulb in their for the first 4 weeks to stretch your girls into the cage then switch to CMH? Or just try one with an HPS to compare?
Sorry for the ramble on...just out reading and this came out....wasn't me, it was DOW CHEMICAL, they made me do it...
Mt High, I love having you ramble-on here, unless I must thank Dow for the set-up.
I suspect that the superfine quality of SLH factors ;)
My next grows are all PX, which I like to encourage mainstem cola development from. With some fan leaf pruning, I get resination down to it's toenails. Thing about verts is that you can grow everything in the sweet-zone, all around the circumference which is larger with bigger bulbs. And the sweet-spot is deeper. One might think that this is 'penetration', but light must avoid leaves to do that.
My 250 HPS run sucked, but other factors may have had a part, IDK. When I have twin 400w grows, I may buy some fancy HPS bulb, and give it a run against CMH.
a site solely devoted to vertical growing
Fedor would have used CMHs if they were big enough. I would want 600s if they could be CMH.
Can't wait to see the next generation of the Gator's Gadget
As I approach 'routine' in THC production, I continue to read Plants From Test Tubes by L. Kyte & J. Kleyn. Fancy labs use fancy gear, but I believe Gator can micropropagate on a shoestring. Yeah TS, new thread for that - soon I hope. My problem is mostly a lazy, stoned ass-plant in a comfy chair.

Back
Top Bottom