Germinating In Starter Plugs

@juan: Much thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately, now I seem to be having a problem with my ph measurement. It changes on me all the time, and since I seem to have stripped the screw on my ph meter trying to calibrate it to 7.0, I've got to buy another one right away at my local Sears. If anything is going to trip me up with hydroponics it's going to be this ph business.

Well the key is to purchase a bottle of both ph up and ph down
then after you mix all your nutes in your water take a ph reading, if you ph is to high add some ph down to some water, and slowely add it, it only takes a very little ph down(acid), so a couple drops per gallon, then you mix it up and test it again, if its too low add some ph up etc till you get it where you want it. But never add the ph up and down directly to the nute mixture

@gooch: Yes, I have the ph up and down solutions, but while trying to calibrate my ph meter, I seem to have stupidly stripped the screw, and cannot get it back to 7.0 which is the calibratin number. I bought a rather expensive ph meter on line (factory calibrated) which will arrive in Tuesday. Meanwhile, the first pointed leaves of my two plants are growing large with a vivid green coloring, and each is developing roots coming out of the bottoms of the net pots. I'm hoping this status continues till Tuesday when the ph meter is due to arrive, so I can measure what is happening. Much thanks for the valuable advice.

If you dont have a local hydro store, which i would be shocked, but you can also go to a pool supply store and get General hydroponics liquid ph kit take a sample of you water put 3 to 5 drops in and it will tell you the ph until you can get your ordered one. did you get a bluelabs multi?

I have a bluelab combo meter which does nutrient conductivity/ppm and ph, but i also use the liquid, and i might pick up a pen its better to have everything saying one thing then you know

@gooch & Juan: Much thanks for the replies. I really don't know what the ph in my reservoir is, but the pointed leaves of my two seedlings are getting bigger and their color is very green. I ordered the Zenport HM Digital PH-200 Water pH Testing Meter Waterproof Measure 0-14 pH Temperature Tester IP-67 rating Factory Calibrated, which will hopefully give me an accurate reading. It cost about $68.00. Based on Bob's instructions, I have another gallon plus of distilled water with nutrients, and when my meter shows up on Tuesday, I'll set that gallon plus to 5.5 ph, and substitute that for the water in the reservoir, hoping the seedlings don't get damaged till then. Because of that ridiculous meter I stupidly ruined, this part of the growing process has really thrown me for a loop. If you look very closely, it appears that in the center of the leaf structure a very small set of additional leaves is beginning to grow, and each seedling has a root extending from the bottom of its net pot, one very long, the other shorter. At this point, I'm really lost, and hoping for the best. The round leaves (embryonic?) are still on each seedling. Hope things work out and I don't have to start again. (sigh)

GOOch & Juan: Here are some photos of my two seedlings as they are now. Do things look normal?
11_Vegetative_Stage.JPG
12_Vegetative_Stage.JPG

@gooch & Juan: Bob tells me that as long as my reservoir is filled with the distilled water (plus Grow Nutrient and Calcium/Mag) everything is all right and I shouldn't worry about pH. When my Zenport HM Digital PH-200 Water pH Testing Meter arrives on Tuesday, we'll continue from there. I sent him the above photos, and he hasn't called me to say there are any problems (yet). While I was overjoyed to see my seeds sprout in the germination stage, this vegetative stage is very aesthetic with classic pointy leaves growing larger every day. From what I gather, this vegetative stage for indoor growing will last about two or so weeks, and then there is the flowering stage for which to look forward. While I really feel stupid about stripping the calibration screw on my pH meter, I must say that there is tremendous contentment in going down into the basement, unlocking my PC box, and looking at the development of those cute little seedlings. I'm pretty certain that I see the tiny three fingered leaves developing, and eagerly look forward to their emergence. I should have started growing my own years ago. Best wishes.

I believe I am doing a 2 month cycle for each so 2 months flower 2 months veg, i know my nutes say its 12 weeks but i am adding an extra 4 weeks of veg, since i will be topping. The pics look really good, and im sure bob will know what about what the ph will be since your using known items such as distilled water and the nutes he provided.

@gooch: That two month cycle seems very interesting. From what I read, you can make the vegetation stage as long as you want, even an inordinately long time so that more actual plant matter is produced. Of course, the end result of this might be a nine foot cannabis plant which might not be too inconspicuous in the middle of a rutabaga patch. One way or the other, I am very reassured that you think my photos look good. Even though I look at photos on the Net of the very beginning of the vegetation stage, I've never actually seen it prior to what I now have. And, the fact that Bob hasn't called me with any problems he's seen, tells me that my plants may well be on their way to success. Have a great weekend.

I just received an email from Bob shortly after having composed this post. He also tells me that the plants look good, which makes me feel good.

well i to am doing indoor and i do not have infinite space, i think rather then height i am looking to increase girth, by keeping the lights tight on the plants im hoping to create short nodes, making it very bushy and small, but when you are starting out its best to follow one persons advice and bob seems to be doing a great job so far

@gooch: When you mention the term node, are you referring to the part of the stem where the leaves start forming which produces a slight swelling or knob on the stem? Since I have only about 29 inches in height in my PC box, I am assuming that Bob has in mind to keep my plants short and very bushy (I think). In addition to the two first pointy leaves on my plants, another set of two is growing perpendicular to the first. I was under the impression from reading that the next set of leaves would have more 'fingers' than the first, but what do I know? My plants thankfully, are producing multiple roots which is also very reassuring to me. This entire thing is a brand new experience for me.

well the nodes are the spaces between each new branch, it sounds and looks to me like you are on the right track

@gooch: To be honest, I think I have a problem. The first pointy leaves on my seedlings have yellow coloring in them. Until now, they were vividly green. I can't get hold of Bob till tomorrow, and won't have my new pH meter till Tuesday hopefully. Things were going so well till now. Hope this won't be problematic.

Well as i stated a few posted ago you might want to visit a pool store or a hydro store and get a liquid ph kit and I bet you will see your ph is probably high like in the 7's, which means your nutrient uptake is not happening. In order for the plant to drink up the nutes the ph has to be between 5.5 and 6.5, yellowing could mean so many different nutes, but the one thing is we dont know the ph and that is very important

@gooch: Well, I ran out and got a liquid pH test kit, and wouldn't you know it- on the pH test side (there's a chlorine side too) the lowest number is 6.8 with some kind of stupid color code- worthless! I'm afraid that these two seedlings will soon be ruined, and I'll have to start all over again, especially since my pH meter doesn't arrive till Tuesday. I'll speak to Bob tomorrow and see what he says. So much for this attempt!

hey man would you quit if your child you needed the information for? I look at my plants as children and morn when i kill them, ok you got a test kit that only went as low as 6.8? I dont want to be too nosey and ask where in nj you are but i did see 3 hydro stores in nj one has to be close enough for you t get too? or even call around first and ask for a ph tester that tests between 4-8, I too made the mistake of buying the wrong ph kit once I suspect we got the same one 6.8 is the lowest i think i got mine at walmart which is why i did not recommend walmart

Back
Top Bottom