Starter plug question

Konto

Ok so I wanted to try a new method of getting my girls going, I've always wondered about these and went out and bought some. Right now I got 8 seedlings going in starer plugs, 3 of them were starting to break through and show roots, so I placed all of them in 6x6 cubes with the hole in it. humidity is starting at around 55% now, was lower earlier. How long does it generally take for the seedlings to push through the plugs? Seems like they are a little tight almost, got them under 432 watt T5 with mix spectrum, I've been staying ontop of them and keeping them moist. Anyone on here have some experience with them and possibly able to shed some light with me? Seems to be taking quite some time to get going, growth has pretty much stopped completely it seems. Using just normal tap water right now with GH Rapid Start added to it

idk if it maters but they are Sun Leaves Super Starter Plugs

The girls always stress a little whenever you switch mediums. I assume you're using rockwool cubes to put your plugs into, if so then the roots will take a lot of time in pushing through, I use 4" cubes (6" is way too much and way too big) and it took a couple of weeks for the roots to come out the bottom but growth had resumed weeks before. Try using a mild nutrient solution to soak the cubes but let them dry a bit after. In order to increase and boost root growth you need to starve the plant a little so it'll force roots to grow looking for water. Don't water too often, but beware not to let them dry out!

Good luck and happy growing!

The girls always stress a little whenever you switch mediums. I assume you're using rockwool cubes to put your plugs into, if so then the roots will take a lot of time in pushing through, I use 4" cubes (6" is way too much and way too big) and it took a couple of weeks for the roots to come out the bottom but growth had resumed weeks before. Try using a mild nutrient solution to soak the cubes but let them dry a bit after. In order to increase and boost root growth you need to starve the plant a little so it'll force roots to grow looking for water. Don't water too often, but beware not to let them dry out!

Good luck and happy growing!

I suppose its only be around a week, just used to it coming along faster.

PLus reps there Rodrigo, overwatering is almost the #1 killer of this fine medicinal plant. And a fine balance with the rockwoll cubs.

The seedlings all look great, no wilting/nute burn or anything wrong when it comes to appearance. Just the root growth. This is why I'm confused and asking about the plugs.

I guess I should have been more clear with my question, using starter plugs, has anyone ever come across the problem of them taking an abnormally long time to root through the plugs and into the medium of choice they are using?

As for nutrients right now, just tap water with GH Rapid Start. PPM is at 215 if i remember correctly and always watering between 5.7 to 5.9.
Seedlings were in a dome with a heat pad as I said before, do you think that the roots aren't growing more because I've been keeping it moist constantly? Should I let em dry out a bit so the roots go searching?

Theyre on 24/0 light schedule as well, should I switch to 18/6?

1 of my BB x WW

This is one of my Dream Lotus from Bodhi seeds, grown the exact same way just different plug.

SAM_0488_zps97e6ef09.jpg

Big Bud X white widow female seeds

SAM_0489_zpsf586b3f4.jpg

Dream Lotus bodhi seeds

The seedlings all look great, no wilting/nute burn or anything wrong when it comes to appearance. Just the root growth. This is why I'm confused and asking about the plugs.

I guess I should have been more clear with my question, using starter plugs, has anyone ever come across the problem of them taking an abnormally long time to root through the plugs and into the medium of choice they are using?

Hey there Konto, check my journal, I have like 9 clones now started with 11 ad pulled three just due to how they were growing. The roots on those were almost to the bottom of a 20 oz red solo cup in a jiffy root shooter plug, made with advanced nutrients. they have been there for two weeks and may well stay one more before they go outside, I have been putting them outside for about three to four hours a day so they can get use to the sun.

AS to the plugs for me I will no longer use them , they seem to impede the growth for me all will be done in soil from now on, Peace OG

SAM_0488_zps97e6ef09.jpg

Big Bud X white widow female seeds

SAM_0489_zpsf586b3f4.jpg

Dream Lotus bodhi seeds

Love the second plant but the first may well outgrow that one, as for light I personally believe they need some rest, in nature they may never get even 18 hours of light it may just be light around them so for me they really never get 24/7 light it isn't natural if you think about it when in nature do they get 24/7 light??? so I usually go 18/6. my clones have been on 24/7 due to not having another timmer but they will be going outside this weekend so I will not have to rely on the power company for lighting, just mother earth.

Love the second plant but the first may well outgrow that one, as for light I personally believe they need some rest, in nature they may never get even 18 hours of light it may just be light around them so for me they really never get 24/7 light it isn't natural if you think about it when in nature do they get 24/7 light??? so I usually go 18/6. my clones have been on 24/7 due to not having another timmer but they will be going outside this weekend so I will not have to rely on the power company for lighting, just mother earth.

So basically just wait ?

Just be patient with them, they can sem like they take forever, or grow like the wind. One of the two and no inbetween. Write it down so there is a point of reference for you, time fly's by or drag's I know,OG.

On the first photo, the plant is waaay too young to be showing roots out the plug, on the second one they should be visible.
Anyway just be patient, as long as the plant is not withering or displaying symptoms of disease then it's just a matter of time.
Try stressing them a little by not watering too often to force the roots to grow.
As for the watering schedule, it will all depend on the system you're using.
For instance, I have two hydro systems, Drip for vegetative and E&F for flower. Everything is automated, timers on the fans, extractors, water pumps, and lights, so very little oversight is needed, although like most people I like to go in there everyday. On the veg room, I start to water my seedlings as soon as they break through and in my system I water them 3 times a day, 15 minutes at a time. I use a 50% nutrient solution for the first two weeks or so while they're too young and after that I use full solution.
I know that most people water their crop once every two days or so and would think that 3 times a day is waaaaay too much water, it isn't, trust me, I know for a fact that if I miss two feed cycles then that's enough to cause serious damage and kill some plants (the bigger ones which have a higher water requirement, the small ones live longer). So the veg room can't go more than a day without water, the flower room also waters three times a day but the clay pebbles retain water very well so it can go a couple of days without water in case something fails.

So basically try to figure out what works for you and your system. You can tell how much water a cube is holding at any time by lifting it, young plants weight almost nothing so you can easily tell if the cube is saturated or not (you need a new dry cube as a baseline).
Back to the pictures, the second one looks amazing, good job!

Back
Top Bottom