Getting started: smaller than planned

ItsChrome

well its been a long time since I last grew and lately I have been over come with the itch to grow again. I first started to think about this about three months back, how ever shortly after started my planning I lost my job. No job means no funds, funds which my plan really needs. Well since I have decided to pick up temp work at a gas station (Network admin by trade..) i will have a marginal amount of $$ to spend.

step one: the box
My first grow plan called for a box measuring 4.5 feet long, 3 feet wide, 7 feet tall. well since the cost of resources to build and light this box are out of the question I have found a storage closet on criags list for $20 to use, measuring 2 feet wide, 2 feet long, 6.5 ft tall.

this should be enough space to start things off in. my first plan was gonna be a hydro system using two bubbler tubs. plan will be the same for this 'cept i will use only one tub. maybe try three plants in it, not sure.

step two: lighting.
Ok my first plan called for an 8 4ft t5 fluorescent rig, with a few sub canopy tubes as well. not sure what my finances will allow this time around. thinking maybe CFL's for now. not sure. my main problem with CFL's would be wiring light sockets, i dont have any experience here and am hoping to find some plug prewired solutions. some kind of lamp i can deconstruct maybe. dunno i have to look into this. if you have any good input i'd love to hear it.

step three:plants
for my first round I will be starting with some bag seeds. no need wasting money on quality seeds or clones until i have my hydro skills up to the task. the number of plants depends on the size of tub i can find and how much light i go with. figure i could pull off 4 small plants. maybe three. not really sure at this stage. again feel free to drop me you opinions here.

well that is my planthus far. i still need to hear back on the storage cabinet, when i get it i will update with pics.

I've been doing my DWC tubs for years on a shoestring budget. Garage sales, junk yards thrift stores etc. Basic wiring like bulb sockets are super easy. The library will have basic electrical manuals if you don't want to cough up $10 for one from an electrical supply or hardware store. My exhaust fan is one I took out of a dead microwave, mounted it on a couple of corner brackets and bought a 5"-4" coupler to tie it into the existing vent in my grow room. Total cost - $2.99 + tax for the coupler. I already had the corner brackets.

CheapFan.jpg

Lots of inexpensive ways to keep yourself in low budget bud. Read lots of forums around here. There are tons of great ideas and a lot of imaginative growers.

Check out my grow and my How-To for some ideas to get you going with DWC tubs.

Good luck.

:peace:

thanks for the input Labrat. I read over your DWC grow and learned a lot! i'm still nervous about it, naturally i will be until i actually get in there and get my hands dirty.

I was unable to obtain the Armoire from craigslist. Typical craigslist BS, you know the drill. they say you can have it you plan a time to get it, show up only to find out they gave it away earlier.. ugh....

How ever the hunt is still on! I have some good job prospects so if all else fails i have my eye on an armoire at biglots for $99. its 4 ft long and 26 inches wide and about 6 ft tall. this would be perfect, i'd be able to run two tubs and stick to my t5 light plans. also would be able to ad a veg chamber for clones...

well thats all for now and thanks again!

Craig's List. Ain't that a hoot. I actually bought a motherboard from a guy on CL about a year ago. It's in the computer I'm typing on right now. I just got him to send it COD, bought some ram and a new CPU, (quad core Phenom), and an hour later had a rebuilt machine.

Now I just go to CL to read the Rant's an Raves for a laugh once in a while. All the rednecks, bigots and stupid people hang out there and they can be fun to watch. Especially Vegas and Alaska.

I plan on building a rig like you're getting as I have the materials and no money so I've got plenty of spare time. I need a veg box for mommas and clones. It's gotta have room for two tubs to veg in space for a couple of mums and room for a clone tray on top. I'll just keep it in the flowering room as I have enough space to have up to six tubs flowering and a veg closet too. Try to be harvesting a couple of tubs a month to prevent droughts. lol

Good luck. C'ya l8tr.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom