Girl Scout Cookies - King Louie XIII & XXX - 430W HPS - Grow

shaggyb13

Not my first time growing but my previous grow was way back in 2000. So much more info. is available now vs. then that I decided I wanted to start again. This is my first attempt at a grow journal so sorry if I leave anything out or post anything irrelevant.

Here's the basic info:

Strains: (3)Girl Scout Cookies, (2) King Louie XIII, and (3) XXX 9 clones total Supposed flowering time 8-9 weeks
I got the clones from House of Clones in Van Nuys on 11/22/14
I placed the rooted clones into 6" hugo rockwool cubes and placed them into 9" buckets with hydroton at the bottom and sides around the cubes. Placed the 9 plants into a home made flood and drain system.

Light: 430W Son Agro HPS

Grow Space: It's inside a shower space 4x3x8, the home made flood table is only about 3x2
Ventilation comes from a window in bathroom left open during light cycle with a window fan blowing in fresh air into room also 1 oscillating fan blowing air over canopy.
Day temperature usually 75-80, humidity 55-60%
Night temperature drops drastically at night in So. Cal but the room temp drops about 10 degrees to about 65 degrees. I was getting high humidity at night due to closing window at night to prevent light leakage. One night it was at 90% so I now leave the window open at all times and just make sure to cover the opening to prevent light. So far so good. The humidity at night stays below 60%. Ideally I would be using a dehumidifier. Im hoping to get one in the next few days to try and drop the humidity down to under 40% in hopes of increasing resin on the plants.

Nutrients: GH Flora 3 part, FF Open Sesame, M.O.A.B., Bud Candy
For feeding I've been following the Useless's GH feeding schedule.

The clones were in vegetation for a little over 4 weeks. They were flipped to 12/12 on Christmas day 12/25.
They were put to flower when they were about 10 inches in height. Not sure because I've been using LST on them from the beginning to get them to grow out and wide so it was hard to determine the actual height had they not been LST'd. The Girl Scout Cookies grew bushy with alot side branches and bud sites that with using LST have become colas. They are about 24 inches in height when I untie the branches.The XXX's are short stocky plants that stayed short pretty even after putting into flower. The 2 King Louie's struggled early on. It took forever for them to grow roots out the bottom of the cubes. I would say it took a good 3 weeks to see roots finally come out of the cubes. They barely had branches or leaves, very viney looking plant, thin weak branches. I top hand fed them for a while until they established good roots and they started to look alot better with no sign of deficiencies but it took a while to figure it out and by that time the others were ready to put into flower so I went ahead and put the King Louie's into flower and happy I didn't get rid of them when I thought they were dying in veg.

The first week of flowering I added FF Open Sesame to my base nutrients. I got some samples of M.O.A.B. from my local hydro store and started using it at 1tsp per 5 gallons and reduced my base nutrient by 50% in week 4.
Week 5 I stopped using M.O.A.B. and added Bud Candy at 2.5 ml per liter to full strength nutes. Week 6 same. Now currently in week 7 I added M.O.A.B. at 2tspns per 5 gallons and base nutrients at 50% along with the Bud Candy PPM at 1600 -1700 PH 5.8. I've seen alot of bud sites on the plants but hadn't seen much fattening up until now in week 7. Don't know if it's the PK spike from the M.O.A.B. or if it's just the week they're in. There are still alot of white hairs on the plants although alot have turned brown. Need to pick up a hand held microscope to look at trichomes and check them constantly. I don't like couch lock weed so I want to harvest when the trichomes are cloudy not amber.

re: Girl Scout Cookies - King Louie XIII & XXX - 430W HPS - Grow

girl scout cookies day 45
IMG_079825.JPG

day 21
IMG_066335.JPG

King Louie day 45
IMG_077221.JPG
IMG_079928.JPG

XXX day 40
IMG_78663.JPG
IMG_78683.JPG

Here are some pics at day 61 (8 weeks 4 days). I stopped using nutrients and moab and bud candy and started flushing 4 days ago. First day water and clearex, then just water day 2, day 3 i decided to add molasses and have been feeding just water and molasses for the past 2 days. It will complete week 9 in 2 days at which point ill use clearex again and then just water for another 7 days if needed and harvest at some point during that week. I included trichome pics from today. Do they look mostly cloudy with a bit amber?
gscday61.jpg
gscday61b.jpg
gscday61e.jpg
hscday61d.jpg
gscday61c.jpg

trichomes
trichomes81.jpg
trichomes71.jpg
trichomes61.jpg
trichomes32.jpg
trichomes23.jpg
trichomes12.jpg

King Louie

kinglouie2day61b.jpg
kinglouie2day61c.jpg
komhlouie2day61.jpg
kinglouie2day61e.jpg

Thanks!You can't tell from the pictures but I actually removed most of the large fan leaves on all the plants back in the first week of flowering in order to train the plant for max bud sites since i'm in a tight grow space. Now that I started flushing I see yellowing and purpleing of leaves close to the buds. Now I understand why leaving large fan leaves on is beneficial. But I needed light to penetrate to as many bud sites as possible. I did start trimming the bud leaves on my XXX plant because it's a leafy bud plant and I wanted to see the actual shape of the colas on it.
You know what your doing,, your leaves stay green and nice throughout the cycle till harvest.. Impressed but i would do more pruning and minor defoliation.

So all 8 plants were harvested and hung to dry in a closet in the dark at 68-75 degrees humidity at about 56%, no fan to slow down drying because they got real crispy after 2 1/2 days. Then moved them to paper bags and let them in the bags overnight . Freaking out that they were crispy I put them into mason jars and left them closed for a couple of hours which remoisted them. Have it all in jars since yesterday and just check in on them every couple of hours to open and smell and move the buds around. The Girl Scout Cookies has lost the fresh cut grassy smell and now smelling like its supposed to. Same for the King Louie. The XXX still doesn't have a dank scent so I have them in a paper bag again. I keep alternating from jar to bag trying to get that grass smell gone.

YIELD:

I knew going in that the clones I had chosen we're low yielders. But they were the clones that were available at the time.

Girl Scout Cookies x (3)
plant 1: 30 grams
plant 2: 25 grams
plant 3: 21 grams total 76 grams/2.7 oz.

King Louie XIII x (3)
plant 1: 21 grams
plant 2: 17 grams total 38 grams/1.35 oz.

XXX x(3)
plant 1: 28 grams
plant 2: 19 grams
plant 3: 16 grams total 63 grams/2.25 oz.

total dried harvest 177 grams/6.32 oz.

Needless to say I am bummed about the weight. I can't figure out what went wrong. Could it just be a matter of the plants being low yielders? I know I need to upgrade from my 430 watt HPS lamp to at least a 600 watt or use both which means I will need to move the grow area to a larger space . I will also finally try CO2 tank. I have 3 clones and 3 seedlings under the lamp. I hope to let them grow for a month, take cuttings from them and put to flowering when they grow to 2 feet. This last grow I kept the plants short using L.S.T. which created alot of bud sites but eventually 8 plants in a tight 3 x 3 space became really dense. I had to every day adjust the branches and buds for maximum light. Even though my lamp is 430 watts there was good light coverage over the plant canopy and all the bud sites were even in height. My last grow back in 2000 was 4 plants Thai-tanic and Great White Shark, no LST no topping I just them them grow and the harvested weight dry was 430 grams/15.3 oz. It was a stealth grow and we didn't have all the info. on growing that's available today online. I didn't even know what trichomes were I just based it on the pistils. Was it the smaller space this time around?
Here's some info on Girl Scout Cookies which made me feel a little better about my yield. It is dank, smokes nice, and I actually got fucked up ( I have built up a high tolerance to weed) so that's good.

Grow Difficulty
Moderate
Flowering Days
Average Yield
Low
Average Height
Short
Recommendations & Notes

Prefers moderate amounts of fertilizer
May express fruity or diesel-smelling phenotypes
Trains well as a multi-branched plant or with sea of green (SOG) operations
Average yield falls between 25-30 grams per plant

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom