Greenhouse for seedlings

Buzzy09

Hi, im new to germanating seedlings, i was just wondering once my seeds germinate(paper towl) is it sufficient to just put them next to a sunny window indoors or make a little greenhouse outside for them. Once big enough im growing in pots outdoors. How big do they have to be before putting them into direct sunlight outdoors? im in australia and its about time to start growing. think ive been reaserching too much ‍

Many home windows have an E-rating, which filters out UV...much of that filtered UV is necessary for plant growth. Your plant will do much better in natural sunlight or if they are in a GH the poly will only filter harmful UV.

I like to have seedlings with 2-3x sets of leaves before I put them in direct sunlight...before then I prefer indirect sunlight.

:goodluck:

Agreed. Lots of good small CFL bulbs out there that can help your sprout make it to outdoor size. Then put them in shady areas for a couple days so you can slowly move to direct sunlight. Should only take a few days to harden your plants enough for the move to direct sunlight..

Are you sure? You may want to take outdoor grow advice from a indoor grower. I've only grown 10 plants or so outdoors my whole life. You might be best listening to others LOL.

Ok so what do you suggest? I’m all for learning that’s what im here for. So much information out there. I’ve germinated four WWF seeds so that’s a start. Planted them in soil/pots today actually. Pots indoors next to sunny side window until they sprout, I’m thinking a couple of days. Next question is once sprouted do I leave outside in natural sunlight or indoors next to window as I am not using artificial light. Just starting spring here in OZ and it’s starting to warm up a little. Days are slowly getting longer.

Attachments

• E86E245B-52AB-45BC-880D-F8D071666972.jpeg
    E86E245B-52AB-45BC-880D-F8D071666972.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 9122BEF6-41D6-40F3-BED2-3199D6CE6794.jpeg
    9122BEF6-41D6-40F3-BED2-3199D6CE6794.jpeg
    609.8 KB · Views: 158
Ok so what do you suggest? I’m all for learning that’s what im here for. So much information out there. I’ve germinated four WWF seeds so that’s a start. Planted them in soil/pots today actually. Pots indoors next to sunny side window until they sprout, I’m thinking a couple of days. Next question is once sprouted do I leave outside in natural sunlight or indoors next to window as I am not using artificial light. Just starting spring here in OZ and it’s starting to warm up a little. Days are slowly getting longer.
I've grown strictly outdoors for the last 3 years, only managed to grow indoors for about a month before I had to abort. Mother nature will give the plants what they need to grow. I think people neglect to realize that these plants grow in the wild with no care needed. They can be started inside under a light for a short time to get them a little larger before hand but it really isn't needed in the slightest.
Here is one of my plants that was germinated outdoors in a solo cup and placed in the ground 1 week later never had a single bit of inside light, not to mention this plant was also put out in 90+ degree heat at the start of its life. These are very hardy plants putting it directly outdoors will not impact it unless temperatures are too low.

Wow look at the size of that thing I’m pretty confident, once they have sprouted an inch or two they will be going outside so we will see. I’ll keep updating to see their growth.

Howdy mr.B I also grow outdoors and sometimes indoor but mine are outside from the word go, once they lose the helmet it's outside. They come indoors at 5pm till lights off at 8pm then lights on at 2am and outside they go at 8am due to being last month of winter....
image.jpeg

These came up on Saturday night and went straight out yesterday morning, and they have hectic August winds to deal with here in South Africa.
image.jpeg

And the family shot..

Hope that helps....
apologies for the crappy iPad pics.

Hey Smeegol nice little family you have there : ) thanks for the reply. Just looking at your plant at the back, has it been mainlined? If so how old is it? I’m thinking about mainlining a couple of mine this year. Your pics look fine by the way

Hey Smeegol nice little family you have there : ) thanks for the reply. Just looking at your plant at the back, has it been mainlined? If so how old is it? I’m thinking about mainlining a couple of mine this year. Your pics look fine by the way
If you're going to be growing outdoors I would refrain from mainlining as it can really decrease yield due to the time it takes to recover. You would be better off with lst and supercropping, the reason it works so well indoors is because it creates an even canopy for the lights to maximize the amount of light getting to the plant. Outdoors you dont have to worry about that as much because the light penetration is so much greater and the sun moves around and provides light to every side of the plant throughout the day.

Oh ok I just though after researching that mainlining would give you a bigger yeald indoors or outdoors. Maybe lst and just topping would be the way to go then. I’ve never done super cropping before either. That’s a beautiful looking girl 2percentmilk.

Last year I only put in 1 plant and only did a little lst and it turned out like a Christmas tree. I was happy but grew too tall for my liking.

Attachments

• 96B4228A-E383-4D93-9C34-86D11895AC83.png
    96B4228A-E383-4D93-9C34-86D11895AC83.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 156
Last year I only put in 1 plant and only did a little lst and it turned out like a Christmas tree. I was happy but grew too tall for my liking.
I personally top a few times and supercrop throughout the plants life to keep it short. Mainline definitely does help keep your plant much shorter than other techniques at a little cost to yield so if that is your goal I would say go for it. Otherwise if you're trying to max out size and yield I would go for different techniques.

Ok thanks for your help. I’ll do some research on super cropping like I said I’ve never tried it before.

Back
Top Bottom