Seedling help

stephyyy

Hi all,
Just have a few questions if someone can provide some insight. I grow every year outdoor (Ontario) always starting from clones however, this year I’m going to take a chance and start from seeds for the first time and I need some advice. I will be starting the seeds indoors and want to move them outside for June 1st. Is this an appropriate date to move plants outdoors? Also, what will be the best germination method, paper towels or the soak in a glass for 24 hours? Also, what is a good brand of potting soil to buy for seedlings? I’m going to plant about 12, I have a 150w led bulb that I will put in a desk lamp, will this be fine for the 5/6 weeks indoor? Sorry, I’m just nervous I’m gonna fuck these up, I’m a seedling newb haha. Thank you so much :)

Hey stephfyyy. First :welcome: to the forum... A lot of us monitor the unanswered posts section, and will answer if we can.

I always germinate with the soak/paper towel method.

I grow in coco, so I'll leave the 'what soil' to someone else.

You can move your pots outside in the morning, and bring them in at night whenever the daytime highs are greater than 15°C / 60°F. This will help acclimatize your plants to the great outdoors.

You can start your plants indoors today, but you'll need to up pot at least twice. This will maximize your plant's size, and your harvest.

Good luck with your grow! Why not start a journal under Grow/Grow Journals on the green menu bar above. This will help us assist you if things go wrong.

You’ve been given great advice. I’ll chime in with the soil advice if you don’t mind. I often reach for a solo cup with some holes for drainage or a root riot plug.

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest fairly often though you’ll hear people tell you it’s too hot for starting seeds. I haven’t found that at all. It has enough nutrient life in the soil for around four weeks of growth. After that, you must supply the nutrients. If you want something dead simple, no phing the water, no nutes to mix, grab a bottle of Osmocote Plus from a local box store. Once your soil you have chosen runs out of steam, dump a half a capful onto your topsoil and scratch it in gently as best you can.

When your ready to step up to the best soil for growing the best cannabis (my opinion) Doc Buds Hi Brix Blend is just as simple aside from a few drenches you’ll prepare along the way. It’s all organic and is reusable at least three grow cycles. Hang around long enough and you’ll realize this soil is responsible for growing something like 50% of the winning “bud of the month” contests on the board here.
That’s a big deal, consider all the talent here and amazing ways to grow this plant. Cheers and I hope it helped.

Hey stephfyyy. First :welcome: to the forum... A lot of us monitor the unanswered posts section, and will answer if we can.

I always germinate with the soak/paper towel method.

I grow in coco, so I'll leave the 'what soil' to someone else.

You can move your pots outside in the morning, and bring them in at night whenever the daytime highs are greater than 15°C / 60°F. This will help acclimatize your plants to the great outdoors.

You can start your plants indoors today, but you'll need to up pot at least twice. This will maximize your plant's size, and your harvest.

Good luck with your grow! Why not start a journal under Grow/Grow Journals on the green menu bar above. This will help us assist you if things go wrong.

Thank you so much for your response. My apologies, I’m new to forums and I wasn’t sure if the post would only show up under the category it was posted in. I will try and delete the duplicate posts. I wish my plants would be able to be outside right now however it’s only like 4 degrees Celsius out right now and far too chilly in my opinion. So are you saying you first soak in a cup and then put in paper towel? I’m reading so many different answers to that it’s not really clear haha. Like I said I’m worried about Messi g up my seeds by doing it wrong :( I’ve read to soak in a cup for 12 hours and then put in the damp paper towels in the dark in Tupperware, would you say that’s a good idea?

You’ve been given great advice. I’ll chime in with the soil advice if you don’t mind. I often reach for a solo cup with some holes for drainage or a root riot plug.

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest fairly often though you’ll hear people tell you it’s too hot for starting seeds. I haven’t found that at all. It has enough nutrient life in the soil for around four weeks of growth. After that, you must supply the nutrients. If you want something dead simple, no phing the water, no nutes to mix, grab a bottle of Osmocote Plus from a local box store. Once your soil you have chosen runs out of steam, dump a half a capful onto your topsoil and scratch it in gently as best you can.

When your ready to step up to the best soil for growing the best cannabis (my opinion) Doc Buds Hi Brix Blend is just as simple aside from a few drenches you’ll prepare along the way. It’s all organic and is reusable at least three grow cycles. Hang around long enough and you’ll realize this soil is responsible for growing something like 50% of the winning “bud of the month” contests on the board here.
That’s a big deal, consider all the talent here and amazing ways to grow this plant. Cheers and I hope it helped.
Thanks so much for the info! I don’t really have access to get that specialized soil, what about an organic potting mix that can be bought at regular stores? Last year I actually used miracle grow potting mix for my clones (I know that’s not supposed to be used) and my plants were massive over 9 feet with a massive yield. I’m really not wanting to use miracle grow on seeds though and am confused on a decent potting mix that will be ok and can be bought easily :( I will start in the clear solo cups. Also, would you say the light on them for 16/8 is fine for the first 5-6 weeks you think or no?

Im a noob and had yroubke germing until...... Soak 24 hours or until it sinks. Then stick it tip down right in its home and boom 48 hours later she makes her appearance. Do what u want but. Since I've used this method i get 100% germination
Thank you! I like that idea too and have read a few saying this is what they did too. Some said to soak and then paper towel and then plant. I know I should have just stuck to my usual clones but I have collected some nice seeds from sever strains and wanted to try and grow from seed. I just hope I don’t fuck them up haha

I soak until they sink, and then put them between damp paper towels on a saucer, with another over upside down over it. This is placed on top of the refrigerator for a day or two (until the tp root is about 10mm or 3/8" long).

Thank you! I like that idea too and have read a few saying this is what they did too. Some said to soak and then paper towel and then plant. I know I should have just stuck to my usual clones but I have collected some nice seeds from sever strains and wanted to try and grow from seed. I just hope I don’t fuck them up haha
[/QUOTE im lazy and have clumsy fingers so i want to mess with them as little as possible

You wont. I saw this way on here as well. I gave it a try and it hasn't failed me. I even put rgem directly into FFOF which people say is to hot. Then someone said to give it a try. I did and results are fantastic

what about an organic potting mix that can be bought at regular stores

I'm using BlackMagic organic potting soil at the current time,and it's working very well.
It's made for Home Depot by Hawthorne Hydroponics $18 for a 1.5 cu ft bag (big bag)

As far as wanting to find some suitable soil from your local gardening store, I would suggest looking for soil that is specially for seedlings or seed starting. I know Miracle Grow has a "seed starting soil" that should be fine for your purpose. But once the seedlings are a couple weeks old you'll probably need to start feeding them some grow nutes. And then as soon as they are ready, transplant them into larger pots and use a better quality soil. I personally have had good results with Fox Farms Ocean Forest, and they also make Happy Frog which is probably what I would use for seedlings, but as you say, you may not be able to find it in your area.

I will start in the clear solo cups.
I don't think it would be a good idea to plant your seeds in a clear cup or pot. The roots need darkness.
I have a 150w led bulb that I will put in a desk lamp, will this be fine for the 5/6 weeks indoor?
What kind of light is this, spectrum-wise? A standard 150W bulb could get pretty warm. I would make sure it is at least designed for plants. I actually use a couple 9W LED "Full Spectrum" lights for the few weeks of indoor before the outdoor move. They seem to work fine and only cost about $15 each and can be found at your standard big box store.

As far as wanting to find some suitable soil from your local gardening store, I would suggest looking for soil that is specially for seedlings or seed starting. I know Miracle Grow has a "seed starting soil" that should be fine for your purpose. But once the seedlings are a couple weeks old you'll probably need to start feeding them some grow nutes. And then as soon as they are ready transplant into larger pots with a better quality soil. I personally have had good results with Fox Farms Ocean Forest, and they also make Happy Frog which is probably what I would use for seedlings, but as you say, you may not be able to find it in your area.

I don't think it would be a good idea to plant your seeds in a clear cup or pot. The roots need darkness.

What kind of light is this, spectrum-wise? A standard 150W bulb could get pretty warm. I would make sure it is at least designed for plants. I actually use a couple 9W LED "Full Spectrum" lights for the few weeks of indoor before the outdoor move. They seem to work fine and only cost about $15 each and were found at your standard big box store.
Thank you!! What if I taped a piece of dark coloured paper around the cups will that be fine? I’m going to just make it out to the hydroponics store and look at their soils, it’s not really close by but I’m still waiting for my lightbulb to come in so I guess I have some time. The bulb is a miracle grow plant bulb. I’m going to try and attach a pic bear with me I’m new at this forum haha

Attachments

• 986A14F7-39C7-4162-BA73-E96317D53FC6.jpeg
    986A14F7-39C7-4162-BA73-E96317D53FC6.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 82
Home Depot is missing out- not selling their cannabis products in a country where
cannabis is legal everywhere,is a big mis-step on their part.
You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie-I know I would.
Canada is absolved of all blame-Home Depot,on the other hand,is an idiot (IMO)

Yup, that light should be fine.

One more thing regarding FFOF, I have indeed started seeds in it before. Out of 6 bagseeds, I did indeed see some burning on 3 of them so while some folks don't have issues with it being "too hot", some plants may experience some burn - just what I've seen first hand. If you can find FFOF, then you probably should be able to find FF Happy Frog. According to my local grow shop manager, Happy Frog is less likely to burn your seedlings.
Some info from their website:
What is the difference between Ocean Forest Potting Soil and Happy Frog Potting Soil?
Both Ocean Forest and Happy Frog Potting Soils are packed with earthworm castings, bat guano, peat moss and aged forest products, and provide an ideal environment for container gardens. There are a few distinct differences between these two products. Ocean Forest is a premium mix that contains ocean-going ingredients such as kelp, crab meal and shrimp meal. Happy Frog Potting Soil is an economical alternative that includes humic acid and beneficial microbes.

Home Depot is missing out- not selling their cannabis products in a country where
cannabis is legal everywhere,is a big mis-step on their part.
You'd think they'd want a piece of that pie-I know I would.
Canada is absolved of all blame-Home Depot,on the other hand,is an idiot (IMO)
Totally agree. All the hardware stores here should be selling soil geared to cannabis growing since it’s legal here but still that stuff is only found in grow stores and there’s not really an abundance of them around yet. I should open my own store haha Since legalization I’ve seen grow lights popping up in places like Costco but still not earth or nutes and such

Yup, that light should be fine.

One more thing regarding FFOF, I have indeed started seeds in it before. Out of 6 bagseeds, I did indeed see some burning on 3 of them so while some folks don't have issues with it being "too hot", some plants may experience some burn - just what I've seen first hand. If you can find FFOF, then you probably should be able to find FF Happy Frog. According to my local grow shop manager, Happy Frog is less likely to burn your seedlings.
Some info from their website:
What is the difference between Ocean Forest Potting Soil and Happy Frog Potting Soil?
Both Ocean Forest and Happy Frog Potting Soils are packed with earthworm castings, bat guano, peat moss and aged forest products, and provide an ideal environment for container gardens. There are a few distinct differences between these two products. Ocean Forest is a premium mix that contains ocean-going ingredients such as kelp, crab meal and shrimp meal. Happy Frog Potting Soil is an economical alternative that includes humic acid and beneficial microbes.
Ok I def don’t wana burn my seeds! Hey what about this soil?

Attachments

• 1A013459-10AE-4A15-B86F-5FA39C6204C0.jpeg
    1A013459-10AE-4A15-B86F-5FA39C6204C0.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 84
Totally agree. All the hardware stores here should be selling soil geared to cannabis growing since it’s legal here but still that stuff is only found in grow stores and there’s not really an abundance of them around yet. I should open my own store haha Since legalization I’ve seen grow lights popping up in places like Costco but still not earth or nutes and such
I have another question too..with my seedlings will 16 hours lights on be fine while indoors? When they go outside in June daylight will be around 14-15 hours maybe. And..for the hours in the dark, I will need to put in my closet where there is not really any ventilation, will that be ok just for the dark hours?

Back
Top Bottom