New grow - Looking for advice with seedlings

NEWBGRWR

Hi guys,

This is my second grow but first time outdoor. I live in Ontario Canada and it’s still too cold for them to be outside considering there is still snow!

I plan on growing my seedlings indoors for 2 months (April to May) and bringing them outside in June.

I’m only growing 8 plants under t5 lighting to start them off. My question... I was planning on having them grow in my basement under my stairwell. The temperature is a little cool... fully insulated basement but still gets cool. Is it a bad idea to be growing from seed in a cool environment?

I'm guessing you will be ok. Do you have an actual temperature that your basement is running? I would think that once you fire up your lights you will be heating up the basement a bit just from the heat from the lights.

Ideal temperatures for seedlings is 20 C - 25 C

Temperatures below 12 C puts the plant at risk of death. Temperatures below 18C will slow growth

I mention this because its your first indoor: These plants are going to smell - a lot. To resolve that (if you need to) enclose the space, and ventilate it with a fan and a carbon filter. That plus a small heater will resolver any heat problems.

What is the height of your grow space under the stairs?

I just checked the temp and it’s at around 16.9 right now.. might drop a little at night. But temps outside will also start increasing. The area is around 3-4 feet tall where the plants will go. I was hoping they wouldn’t smell much in the first 2 months... my wife will NOT be happy if they smell.

I just checked the temp and it’s at around 16.9 right now.. might drop a little at night. But temps outside will also start increasing. The area is around 3-4 feet tall where the plants will go. I was hoping they wouldn’t smell much in the first 2 months... my wife will NOT be happy if they smell.

The temps a bit low but I bet will warm up with some light going. Smell is hard to predict as it is often related to the strain. I have a tendency to go nose blind but usually don't put on much odor until they start throwing some blooms. Are you growing Photos or Autos? If growing Photos and you put them outside they probably won't initiate flowering until about September or when your natural lights drop to 12/12 or less.

Be warned that they will produce a noticeable smell outside

Even in the first two months? They will be outside after that... I was referring to the smell outside when flowering

I didn’t want to start getting a tent.. filter etc just for 2 months. I’ll probab just build a frame and wrap with plastic to seal. I live in an acre lot and plan on 8 plants... hopefully the smell won’t be too strong

Even in the first two months? They will be outside after that... I was referring to the smell outside when flowering

Usually not a great deal of smell in the first 2 months. Some strains can be quite smelling even at 30 days. If the door is closed between your grow area and your main living area you probably won't be smelling it much. I live in a Townhouse and I put a couple plug in air fresheners while it doesn't eliminate the smell it masks it well. . Outside you can smell it within 4-6 meters but if the wind is blowing it will travel.

On an acre I would think you would be safe from neighbors. Maybe plant a couple jasmine plants and no problem at all. LOL

A few years ago I grew Blueberry Skunk outdoors and became a little smell blind to how much it smelt. Coming home from a 3-4 weekend away with a friend we turned onto my street and from 200ish yard away we could smell the plants. As we got closer the smell got stronger and stronger. Worse than that was drying the plants, I would bring them in at 9pm until 6 am while my kids were sleeping and they would wake up and complain about how there is a skunk living under the house. Put some thought into where you plan to dry them out in late October/early November.

I love these stories lol. I have a shed at the back of my yard I was planning on using to dry... I’m also going to be planting at the back of my yard, plus I don’t have rear neighbors, only farm fields.

The main issue is in the first months when it’s inside... my wife has been pretty easy going with the whole thing so far, but I know she won’t be pleased if the house smells like weed. That’s why I think I’ll buiod a little inclosure to try and keep as much scent down as I can.

I think some of those plug in air fresheners may just do the trick. They are adjustable and do a good job of masking smells.
I just go back from checking in on the girls - I have 6 Autos in my flower tent 3 of which are in Bloom at 5-8 weeks. When I unzipped the tent I got a strong whiff. Not a bad dank smell yet but you would definitely know what it is.

Maybe you can get her to help out with a little watering and she can go nose blind to it also.. :rofl:

I love these stories lol. I have a shed at the back of my yard I was planning on using to dry... I’m also going to be planting at the back of my yard, plus I don’t have rear neighbors, only farm fields.

The main issue is in the first months when it’s inside... my wife has been pretty easy going with the whole thing so far, but I know she won’t be pleased if the house smells like weed. That’s why I think I’ll buiod a little inclosure to try and keep as much scent down as I can.

With an acre with no one behind you are golden. Venting out of the house would likely work too with no one close.

Have you considered a small greenhouse attached to the shed? Just big enough to get your sprouts to mid may.

With an acre with no one behind you are golden. Venting out of the house would likely work too with no one close.

Have you considered a small greenhouse attached to the shed? Just big enough to get your sprouts to mid may.

It’s too cold out... I’m worried about it being too cold inside the house right now. It’s still way below freezing during the night

Back
Top Bottom