Half-Ass First Grow

So the black spots only appeared on the one 3-leaf set. The new ones above it with 5 blades dont seem to show it. Still dont know if it was due to temp/ph/light or something else like transplanting it.

I also built a new grow box. It's bigger than I meant to build it but I guess I'm just ready for the future haha. Used emergency camping blanket mylar for the sides and have an exhaust fan installed (120 mm usb comp case fan up top). I currently only have a bigger real fan moving fresh air in and circulating it around.
Screen_shot_2011-02-26_at_12_35_55_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-26_at_12_35_49_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-26_at_12_35_40_PM.jpg

Getting worse.... thoughts???
Screen_shot_2011-02-27_at_12_31_05_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-27_at_12_30_45_PM.jpg

Can I trim the leaves off to eliminate whatevers killing them? And she looks a little droopy to me too, not sure if its due to heat or water or what...

Also, the leaves seem to be twisting a little on the affected leaf set. I don't currently have the ability to test pH but I read somewhere else that it could be a high pH accounting for this. Thoughts on a quick solution if the test reads the pH as high? Where can I buy a pH buffer in a location that doesn't have them readily available?

Getting worse.... thoughts???
Screen_shot_2011-02-27_at_12_31_05_PM.jpg
Screen_shot_2011-02-27_at_12_30_45_PM.jpg

Can I trim the leaves off to eliminate whatevers killing them? And she looks a little droopy to me too, not sure if its due to heat or water or what...

Could be a ph problem - do you have a ph meter to check. Also, check ph again after adding any nutes to H2O before watering. I had similar brown blotching and I turned it around with a ph meter. Just a thought.

:goodluck:
:peacetwo:

Kind of looks like a Manganese def. As Pop Kulture said, it's probably due to pH being off causing nute lockout. Believe it or not but most "new grower problems" are due to the following three things:
1. pH being off
2. Over-fertilization
3. Over-watering

Is is imperative that you know the pH of water going into your pots, and the pH of the runoff.

Is is imperative that you know the pH of water going into your pots, and the pH of the runoff.

What ph should the runoff be for an organic soil grow? How can you tell if you have a salt build up that needs to be flushed? Not that this is the case here but I am curious.

:thanks:

What ph should the runoff be for an organic soil grow? How can you tell if you have a salt build up that needs to be flushed? Not that this is the case here but I am curious.

MM posted a great little chart. For soil, your pH should ideally be around 6.5-6.8. To avoid salt buildup, make sure there is always runoff (every watering)
:tokin:

If you are using organics you really don't have to worry about salt buildups.

Yeah I am only on my second grow and believe me these guys know what they are talking about. They helped me greatly. My problem was ph too and looked similar. Had the twisting and spots but mine were a different color. Definitely test your ph bro.

Hey dude! just a small bit of advice, but that pot! i had one and they seem to hold moisture more than i would of liked, be weary of mould and bugs building up if their isn't sufficient drainage.

I totally agree with you except he's using MG soil. :Namaste:

I don't fully understand this issue. You're saying that if you are using organic soil and the appropriate level of organic nutes then you should not have to do a flush every 30 days or some other time period? Regardless of how long the grow takes you will not have to flush salts out?

Thanks

:peace:

Chemical fertilizers are in the form of salts. These salts can build up and create an environment in which water is actually drawn OUT of plants. Organic fertilizers are not in the form of salts. They are delivered in the form of organic compounds that have to be broken down by microorganisms that deliver the nutrients to the plants as they need it.

Chemical fertilizers are in the form of salts. These salts can build up and create an environment in which water is actually drawn OUT of plants. Organic fertilizers are not in the form of salts. They are delivered in the form of organic compounds that have to be broken down by microorganisms that deliver the nutrients to the plants as they need it.

Cool...thanks. Good to know.

Separate from the issue of salt build up from fertilizers, I read somewhere that plants generate "waste products" that can build up in the soil and cause problems. This is particularly true if there is not enough run off during watering, and for this reason it is not an issue in greenhouse or outdoor growing, but indoors it can be a problem. Is this true?

:peace::rollit:

Wow guys thanks for all the info. Well I thought she was on her last legs and on the way out, but she has come back to life. I gave her a thorough watering about 36 hours ago with some watered down MG nutes for Tomatos (18-18-21) and shes continuing growth and new leaf sets. I do need to work on my lighting situation. I think I'm going to move her back in to the smaller box for right now (and the week that I'm away). Updates hopefully to come tonight or tomorrow, and then eventually after the week is over and I'm back from my trip.

Not sure if she'll make it and I'll feel terrible if she doesn't but this is what a first attempt is all about... right?

Well... vacation came and went. I over watered her just a little bit before I left but in a 9 day trip I knew it wouldn't be enough. I got home and the temps were fine, the humidity low obviously, and the plant on her last legs. I watered her immediately with a quarter or so mix of full strength nutes about 8 hours ago. She has since perked up, but her leaves are definitely very brittle. I'm going to monitor the soil and make sure it stays a little damp as water escapes to the air as well as the roots. I'm hoping this thing makes somewhat of a recovery, I'm almost afraid to post pictures because I'm so embarrassed but it was a problem I just wasn't prepared to prevent just yet. Thanks for the support and I will keep you all updated.

Well there are new leaves growing from the top so it has resumed the growth cycle, and I didn't take pics of the first moment I came back to her but she is looking worlds ahead of the water starved girl she was. I trimmed off the bottom single set of leaves, any thoughts on cutting those still brittle and droopy leaves in that three leaf set?
Screen_shot_2011-03-14_at_12_42_17_PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom