Hanna meters - HELP

Vaporeyes

OK so I have a hanna ph pen that i have been using and a shitty ppm meter that stopped working so I decided to upgrade. I picked up the electric hanna combo gro check meter.

so i calibrate it in and try her out and it shows that my old ph meter is off by a point. So I calibrate it with some 7.01 and try it out and its still gives me the 6.10. I then recal the gro check with the 7.01 and the same thing,5.2.. both meters show they are calibrated but there is a point difference.The new gro check is bouncing the numbers up and down by about .5 in the res but when i calibrate it theres no bounce..

anyone with an idea? user error perhaps being im a newb ?

mayb the 7.01 solution is contaminated.....are you pooring out into seperate cups(4.01 in one and 7.01 in another). I hope your not dipping the meter into the bottle or reusing it.

another way is to take it to hydro shop and mayb compare w/ one of there meters if they happen to use the same. Worth a try. or the probe could b broken....not sure. mayb also compare w/ one of those cheap ph drop kit. I know it doesn't give you a set ph number , but you could get it somewhere in the ball park.

mayb the 7.01 solution is contaminated.....are you pooring out into seperate cups(4.01 in one and 7.01 in another). I hope your not dipping the meter into the bottle or reusing it.

another way is to take it to hydro shop and mayb compare w/ one of there meters if they happen to use the same. Worth a try. or the probe could b broken....not sure. mayb also compare w/ one of those cheap ph drop kit. I know it doesn't give you a set ph number , but you could get it somewhere in the ball park.

no i keep everything separate...the meter is screwed and now frozen completely. after some additional digging it seems there are many problems with the grochek so it goes back and i still need a new meter..

thanks Dom..

good luck....i have that hanna combo meter and only had problems when i didn't keep the probe wet with the 7.01 solution. I use to just dip and check ph then when i was done i just through the cap back on. but i was really suppose to rinse it with water then fill the cap w/ some 7.01 and make sure the probe always stayed wet with the 7.01 solution. just incase u didn't know, its also a storage solution for electrical probes.....

good luck. and if you live in los angeles, i hav really good buddy whom i have known since elementary that owns a hydro shop...let me know if i can help you out . could get u a discount.

Not sure if I am looking at the right model of yours but you say it is a pen not continous? From what I have learned is that you want to use there storage solution not your caleb solutions to store it. They claim it prolongs the life of the probe. That sucks about getting a default.

Hey
ive got problems too when calibrate my combo, but I have forgot it out of the reservoar twice tho, so it dryed out completly,
so Vaporeyes if you figger out the problem I´m intrested to know..

Namaste Farmers

i believe ph is temp sensitive so if one meter compensates for temp while the other doesnt this could account for some irregularity

calibrating my meter at 50' versus 70' gives different results depending on actual temp during reading cause it is cheap hanna without temp, my friends hanna has temp and i think it compensates

this is actually the continuous one and although it says submersible its not water proof if that makes any sense....i dropped both right in the res and pooof never friggin worked right so back to amazon for a full refund.

Bud if you have dropped it in passed the screw pattern (basically a few inches deep) then you most likely have a screwed up meter.

i got my cheapie ph meter wet past the line and it got all screwed up, took batteris out and i let it dry out, then calibrated it and it seems to work as it did before...

the 7.01 calabrating solution...is also a storage solution.

I thought it was the 4.01 that could also be used as storage solution.

I had heard the 7.01 but sure the 4.01 will work. Is that what you use? The strorge solution is cheap wonder why not many seem to buy it.

10grams of potassium chloride solid to 100ml of pH4. Believe this kept the solution from leaching ions from the electrode without clogging it up in the process. Pretty sure the "local" water-treatment plant still does that for their hand (backup) meter. Pretty sure as in "I think so," not as in I just called to check or anything, lol.

Worked for me, but considering the importance of a pH meter, I would recommend that you follow the directions of your meter's manufacturer where possible.

While we're on the subject, never store your probe in distilled (etc.) 0ppm water as it will leach the tip. Directions should state this but it bears repeating. Also, do not wipe off the tip as the holes (probably two?) in it are very small and easily clogged, IMHO. Directions may or may not state this.

All the hanna meters I had are junk, Give milwaukee SM 802 a try, that is if your looking to replace, I calibrated those hanna's all the time,The last straw was I compared 3 of the same meters and got 3 different readings after they where calibrated .never did know which one was right, so I lost all faith in Hanna testers. peace

All the hanna meters I had are junk, Give milwaukee SM 802 a try, that is if your looking to replace, I calibrated those hanna's all the time,The last straw was I compared 3 of the same meters and got 3 different readings after they where calibrated .never did know which one was right, so I lost all faith in Hanna testers. peace

Can you tell us what you really think, lol? Actually, I personally feel the same way - and for the same reason, although I only had two to compare at the time.

Two being a VERY small percentage of all the Hanna meters out there, I (mostly) kept my thoughts to myself and simply recommended Milwaukee meters, which I have had good experience with. And it hasn't hurt that they have an extremely cheap "entry-level/economy-class" meter (pH600, around $25) and an extremely good value meter with a high level of accuracy (pH53, accuracy +/- two hundredths of a "pH", $65).

I couldn't in good conscience even give away the Hannas that I owned. While they were still "working" I used them to check the pH of my vehicle's "anti-freeze" solution, but that was mainly because I wasn't going to put a good meter in the A/F:ganjamon:.

NOTE: It must be said that my experience with Hanna meters has been with their consumer-level products, and only the hand held ones at that. Their top-shelf(?) products might be in a better class as far as quality is concerned - or they might not, lol - I simply have no experience with them. If I try a cheap product and it works but lacks features, I'll try a more expensive product from the same manufacturer. But if I try a product and it just doesn't work for me, I switch brands.

Back
Top Bottom