pH meter under $100?

Young Yoda

Hiya,

So litmus paper/liquid ph testing solution just won't cut it for me anymore. I'm looking for recommendations on a meter, hopefully from peeps with personal experience. I have seen most of the models of the big brand meters, milwaukee, hanna, oakton, etc. But I still feel kinda confused on some features, and I also have extremely limited experience with this piece of equipment.

Some criteria:
-budget is 100 bucks (hopefully including first purchase of buffer)
-to keep cost down i'd like to stick with single point calibration (will be storing in this buffer)
-easily/cheaply replaceable probes
-tds/ec readout as well as ph
-accuracy to +/-0.1 ph point is fine for me
-no preference for temp adjustment but I do think I would prefer manual calibration.
I don't really care about pen vs stylus style (obviously benchtop is out of my range).

My biggest conflict here comes from something I saw someone post elsewhere: pretty much all ph meters that are not top notch require constant calibration and so why spend 100 bucks on a meter that has the same accuracy and lack of stability as the lower end models, say the 50$ hanna pens. Is there a meter out there that, without breaking the bank, is really going to be worth the extra cost?

Also, do ph calibration solutions have known tds/ec values or will I have to buy separate solution to do that calibration?

re: pH meter <$100?

Hello Yoda

If you want to measure TDS and ph, look on ebay. I bought both meters for $15. They don't have to be highend/expensive to be accurate, you just want to check the calibration periodically, same as you would the expensive ones

re: pH meter <$100?

Hello Yoda

If you want to measure TDS and ph, look on ebay. I bought both meters for $15. They don't have to be highend/expensive to be accurate, you just want to check the calibration periodically, same as you would the expensive ones

Hmm, you're the first person to suggest cheapo meters to me. I'm not really worried about super high accuracy but if they break too fast.. What are you using?

Re: pH meter <$100?

I was using an Oakton I got at a garden center for $65CAN but retired it after I got pH perfect nutes.

Along with pH7 calibration sol'n get some storage sol'n to prolong the life of your probe and always spray off the nutes from the probe with pure water before putting it in the storage sol'n. I can just put a little sol'n in the cap but the damn thing isn't designed to stand up easily on it's own.

You need separate sol'n to calibrate the ppm ppm. $5 or so each and $10 maybe for the storage sol'n. Get all this online way cheaper if you shop there.

My 15 yo old Hanna ppm pen still works great but I can't recall what I paid for it. The dual purpose units tend to screw up so I don't recommend them. Blue Labs gear is highly rated and highly priced.

I recently got a 2nd ppm pen for measuring my colloidal silver in the 10 - 20ppm range as it measures single ppm up to 200 then goes 10X for higher #s. It's a TDS EZ from HM Digital for $25. My Hanna only does 10X. You don't need the single digits for nutes but it's nice to have that accuracy to test the RO water I buy for my plants and drinking as we don't have town water. I diluted some 1000ppm calibration sol'n to 20ppm and the pen read 19. Close enough. :)

L8r

Back
Top Bottom