Hash Making

Re: Roseman's Hash Making

2009_HASH_Making_021.jpg

Time to preheat the oven to 175 degrees.

I anticipating getting 4 grams of HASH this batch.

I will re-do the gallon baggies at least 4 times each, and from last years crop of 16 harvested ounces of dried manicured buds, I got a total of 28 grams of HASH.

This year, after I do the 4 baggies 4 times each, THEN I will do them in the blender with ice and ice water to get the very last remaining trich.

I just hate to let ONE trich get away from me.

Now I have it packaged, wrapped several times in cellophane tape. Time now to PRESS it, or COMPRESS it, by using a beer bottle like a rolling pin. I rolled it for 4 or 5 minutes, hard and tightly, rolling it and rolling it.

2009_HASH_Making_029.jpg

2009_HASH_Making_030.jpg

I place the Kief, that is wrapped in the cellophane and covered in scotch tape on the quarter soaking wet paper towel, on an old pan.

2009_HASH_Making_035.jpg

Then I fold it over covering it. I am going to bake it and the wet paper towel keeps the cellophane from burning.

2009_HASH_Making_036.jpg

I now place the pan in the oven, and if it was thinner, I'd bake it for about 10 to 15 minutes. This is so thick, I am going to bake it for 20 minutes. I want the paper towel to stay moist or damp. If I bake it too long, that is OK, IF I keep the paper towel damp.
I do not want to bake it TOO HOT and 175 degrees is a safe warm temp. I just want the kief to warm up, sort of melt together, or bond together, and slightly harden.

Hello Roseman,
I have seen several of your threads, great reading for a novelist like me. Is the the first batch you make any less potent than the 3rd or 4th time you run it thru?

I remove the pan, and unwrap cellophane from the wet papertowel.

It needs to be pressed while still WARM one more time. You can rollit with a rollig pin for a long time, like 15 minutes. You can put it between two boards and stand on it. You can stand on it with a smooth bottom shoe.
I put mine between two boards in a Bench Vise.

2009_HASH_Making_0011.jpg

Let me summarize a few things.

When you smoke hash, I suggest that you use a very small amount that delivers only one or two hits, like the size of a BB. I suggest that you do not put a big flame to it, but light the edge and let it burn very slowly across from one edge to another, sort of like charcoal incense burns.

You can use stems if they are sticky, as well as trim leaves and bud leaves.

If your patty or cake is 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick, like a 1/3 of a film cup, then bake it twice at ten minues each bake, re-pressig it between bakings.
If it is 1/2 ich thick, like this one, and 2/3 to a film cup full, do it twice at 20 minutes, pressing between bakings, still at 175 Degrees.

An alternate process to baking it in the oven, AFTER you wrap it in wet papertowels, or wet newspaper, you can throw it in a frying pan, on top of the stove, use medium low heat, and turn it frequently with a spatula, heating it at medium-low heat, but turn it over frequently, like every 2 or 3 minutes.
I have also seen it done with an iron, like you iron clothes with, and you can iron the wet papertowel, and use the iron as a press, pushing down hard with the iron, at medium heat(#3 or #4 setting) . If you iron it, iron it in a large pan.

DO NOT OVER HEAT IT OR THE HEAT WILL DESTROY THE THC.

I will work my trim leaves 4 times, each time I will get a slightly lower grade of hash, but that is OK with me.

AFTER I work the bags of trim leaves 4 times, I will then use the leaves to make ICE WATER BLENDER HASH to get the trichs that escaped me.

Trichomes are gritty bits of an oilly substance, are heavier than water and will drop to the bottom of water.
Trichomes are readily released from the leaf, when frozen.
Most of the green leafy matter floats.
The blender method uses water and ice to remove the trichs from the leaves. Ice-water makes the trichomes hard and brittle, causing the trichs to easily snap off. The trichs drop to the bottom while the plant material floats.
To make hash this way you'll need a blender, ice cubes, a reusable metal fine mesh coffee filter, a large bucket or large container and paper coffee filters.

Start with the trim leaves, about 1/2 cup, into the blender. Add 6 or 7 cubes of ice and fill the blender up with cold water. Blend it one minute and it will look sudsey, like a green smoothie. Pour that through a metal permanent coffee filter, letting it drain into the large container. I have used a gallon large mouth glass jar and once I had to use a bucket.
Pour more ice water through the green mush again, through the metal permanent coffee filter again, draining into the container.
You can repeat with more trim leaves, ice and ice water. The trichs, now called Kief, will settle to the bottom of the cold contaier. Any leaf that made it through will float.

Siphon off the top half to 2/3s of the green water.
Then put the large container in the cold outdoors if it is winter, or into the refrigerator.

Now repeat and do some more if you have more trim leaves to process.
After you have processed all of your leaves or when the container is half full, GENTLY and carefully add a few more ice cubes, and do not stir the container. Let the Kief settle to the bottom again, takes about 30 minutes, and siphon the top half of the water off again. Try to keep it cold. If you can't siphon the water off, then dip it off.

Now very carefully pour the water and kief through a paper coffee filter. The water will go through and the kief will not. Let your coffee filter full of wet kief dry. Do not rush it. Then you have Kief ready to press and bake into hash.

I hope you like this and it works well for you.

There are many other ways to do this, if you want to buy Bubble bags, (about $70 for the 5 gallon bucket size). There are also machines that do it for you. (google Pollinator)
In some countries, they mistakenly call trichs and kief "pollen".

Before you make Hash the first time, I suggest that you google "Make Hash".

Also take time to look at Labrat's thread here:
LabRat's Kief making apparatus.

and some of the other informative threads in this HASH Forum.

Now let me go back see what questions I missed.

Hello Roseman,
I have seen several of your threads, great reading for a novelist like me. Is the the first batch you make any less potent than the 3rd or 4th time you run it thru?

The first batch IS more potent than the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, , but the 4th batch is still very very good to me. It gets less potent because the leaf powders and mixes in.

Love what you do Roseman, Thank you for your time and effort sharing this wonderful step by step thread.
What are the advantages of making a patty, What I'm I missing just sprinkling Kief in a bowl on top of a little weed or lining a joint with it. Thanks Pal. ;)

Back
Top Bottom