Have I already messed up my first indoor grow?

Bacillus Theringiensus Israelensis is the active ingredient in mosquito bits or mosquitos dunks…
Yes, that stuff. If the label does not have Israelensis on it then it is regular 'Bt' and is meant to be used as a spray on the leaves to kill caterpillars.

I use the "bits" which is loose little pieces of material that has been soaked with Bti. I follow the suggestions from the company and sprinkle just a pinch over the surface of the soil in each pot if I have a Fungus Gnat problem. Each time the plant is watered a bit of the Bti washes off and wakes up. Then the micro-organism moves into the soil and lives for awhile without the gardener having to do worry about adding more.

When I mix my soil, 10 gallons per tub, I will sprinkle 2 heaping pinches onto the surface and mix that in. The stuff has set up a layer of protection by the time I am getting soil from the tubs for transplanting. A small bottle of the bits is enough for two hundred gallons of soil under normal conditions.

No Fungus Gnats flying around the grow room for a year.

@013,@SmokingWings , thanks for the input, that helps immensely! The next day the wells were swarming with larvae again, not as easy fix as I thought, I re cleaned the pot wells and valves , and currently have them in nothing trying to dry out the bottoms of the pots, I've sprayed the tent with a home made lavender liquid I make, with water isopropyl alcohol and lavender flowers, which they don't seem to like, and have made gnat traps, which seems to be catching the ones making larvae. After doing some research I found that, the larvae find a slice of potato irresistible to breed on, so today I'm putting wide saucers under the pots with water and potato to draw as much out of the pot as possible, seems I'm also going to the hardware store for some bti as well! Much love ,ta for the knowledge:Namaste:

After doing some research I found that, the larvae find a slice of potato irresistible to breed on, so today I'm putting wide saucers under the pots with water and potato to draw as much out of the pot as possible,
I have read that the slices of potatoes work best if placed on top of the soil if a soil grow. Or on top of the artificial media being used for the roots like if the plants are in coco coir or rockwool or similar materials. I get the feeling that the little larvae like to stay moist and away from the lights. They come up to eat the potatoes but I have not read how often to toss the slice and the larvae.

I believe that it is only the flying adults that actually breed.

. I get the feeling that the little larvae like to stay moist and away from the lights.
Yes same as mozzies, still water, not much wind and a dark environment. I think they like to lay the larvae on the moIst potato, must have the good stuff for the larvae mature. From what I understood it was a matter of checking the potato in the well every couple of days, and washing and putting it back for round 2, but upon reflection seems better for it all the flyers are dead, of which I've done for the most part, but can't be sure, so I'm waiting for my mosquito bits in the mail. Not easy or cheap to come by over here,, but worthy of of the expenditure, even though I can't really afford it at this point... Going to be a lean lead up to Christmas lol.

Watch other stuff like dehumidifier tanks, unused pots of soil or half full water buckets, pretty sure the scent of damp soil or stagnant water draws them in. Some use layer of sand on top of soil as deterrent but fan moving air across soil line helps, if they can’t land - they can’t lay eggs. Yellow cards or yellow sticky traps - flyers are highly attracted to color yellow they land and are stuck fast, if you don’t have access to yellow sticky’s then fly trap rolls might work

Watch other stuff like dehumidifier tanks, unused pots of soil or half full water buckets, pretty sure the scent of damp soil or stagnant water draws them in. Some use layer of sand on top of soil as deterrent but fan moving air across soil line helps, if they can’t land - they can’t lay eggs. Yellow cards or yellow sticky traps - flyers are highly attracted to color yellow they land and are stuck fast, if you don’t have access to yellow sticky’s then fly trap rolls might work
Always in a green house situation, which I've grown a bit in, I run as dry as environment as I can, for many reasons, but mainly the smell, wet plants stank! No excess water in the tent lol, especially now! Lesson learnt though, thx for letting me know about bti , it should make a huge difference! I think I did well evicting the pest tenants, but the ladies may have suffered some for not being in the wells, back in now, shall see how well I did getting rid of them in the next few days:Namaste:

Hi guys and gals, happy 22! After dealing with pesky bugs, then the outfall of a lack of water, and now some minor nute burn, my girls are close to flip, I'm going to give them a week or 2 to recover from over fertilising, then make a call..... Would love some input! I've attached some pics:cool: @013,@SmokingWings, cheers!

IMG_20220102_131948_062.jpg

IMG_20220102_131858_338.jpg

IMG_20220102_131411_315.jpg

Hey all, just had a power outage this morning, lights were out for about an hour, I'm assuming I'm not the first to have this happen... Will my ladies be ok?

Yea, one hour won't make a problem for ya.
Was hoping this was the case, I reset the timer, and will if it did affect them I'm not going to know for a while yet, starting to look like I'll have some very tasty nuggets, even with all the mistakes, mishaps and miscalculations and then things that you can't really allow for! Thx Sueet:Namaste:

Hi guys and gals, happy 22! After dealing with pesky bugs, then the outfall of a lack of water, and now some minor nute burn, my girls are close to flip, I'm going to give them a week or 2 to recover from over fertilising, then make a call..... Would love some input! I've attached some pics:cool: @013,@SmokingWings, cheers!

IMG_20220102_131948_062.jpg

IMG_20220102_131858_338.jpg

IMG_20220102_131411_315.jpg
Apologies, I hosed up setting so no longer get tag notifications and realize this was couple weeks ago - but they look great!!! That’s cooking my friend…

No nutes used either @Bill284 :cool: I'm also sorry to hear about the fire, and have now removed my drum kit I had stored in there!
Good morning my friend @nedesnik hope your having a great day.
Please do what you can to prevent this happening to you.
Double check all your electrical components.
And make sure you have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher.

Stay safe
Bill

Hi again 420 crew, I have several days before I cut down my last lady, but I think I really screwed up, I left my room light on last night accidentally, and the vent flaps were open on my tent, should I harvest now, or can I leave it till when I planned? Thanks, and much:green_heart:

No worries nedesnik, she will be fine either way, personally I would leave it.…
Thanks man, I didn't want to take a chance, but after cutting her down and being in the tent in the dark I realised it would've been ok....tbh I just wanted to finish this lot, too many mistakes and the transitional curve from outdoors, made it a disappointing harvest, one turned herme just after the flip, another turned after a lighting mistake mid flower, one that I've already harvested a few days back, was very unhealthy, and nothing I did seemed to help, and the yield is embarrassing, and the last one just ok. I'm prepared this next go, I've upgraded to an 8 inch fan for in the tent, and my existing fan for maintaining the room, hopefully fixing the temperature issues, another 600w hps lamp and ballast, and a dual 10-12 amp timer, I'm definitely changing my substrate to soil ratio, way too much this time, it was too dense and high in nutrient, and was my biggest issue, and also bought some feminised seeds, (thanks @CaliSeedStore) which I've never done before, and have germinated 2x sunset sherbet,2x Hindu Kush and 4x Banana Kush.... So feeling a bit more prepared this time, as well as setting up metal rigging for the ballasts and extraction fan/filter, getting all heavy duty 14mm extension cords, and heavy duty power boards with surge protection and a device that cuts the power of there's a problem.... Mainly after hearing Bills cautionary tale, next step is making metal joins to replace the plastic ones for the tent frame, and some cement sheeting to box the tent, but for now, I'm cleaning the tent, and setting it back up again for round 2! Thanks again everyone, is very nice to be able to ask novice questions without feeling like a loser, much love!:green_heart::Namaste:

Thanks mate, not gonna lie, been a pretty deflating experience, but.... Next!!! Germinated seeds just went into pots less than 10 minutes ago, flip on the light tomorrow :cool:stay tuned

Back
Top Bottom