Haze Oil - that is purple

I made some oil last gen from sweet leaf from a haze plant that had gone purple. To my amazement the tincture turned purple and it followed through to the oil. It has great flavor and is very potent.

DSC_0451_2ndbatch.jpg

DSC_0455_stopped.jpg

DSC_0446_finishedpurpoil.jpg

So I doubled my efforts and used all the rest of the sweet leaf and what came from the last haze plant and made one wicked tincture. I steeped the fresh leaves in 100 proof vodka left for a week or two in the freezer then added the second gen and let it go a day or two then strained and reduced. I did not yet reduce to oil and may not. I reduced approx to 1/3 this has left a mean delicious tincture that several drops under the tongue will give instant relief so I may not reduce further. I did keep 1/2 of the original tincture in the freezer to process later.

I checked the temps during reduction and I do not exceed 170f :green_heart:

DSC_0760_sweetleaf.jpg

DSC_0767_onethird.jpg

Using the lower proof solvent is what changed the color I think! I read that anthocyanin's ( the color pigment responsible for pink, purp, blue, red in all 'higher' plants) are water soluble... So the extra water in the solvent helped pull that lovely color out!

Im about to do a small batch of tincture... Maybe a small batch of oil too!

I guess I need to run me some of my purple nugs. Killer photos Buck!!
I take it you used no force or agitation, just add together, freeze, sit, strain, medicate?
Im going to whip some of this up in the proceeding weeks. I have had plenty of tincture, nothing I have made on my own, I used to pick up some local stuff that was made with "kosher" food grade glycerin.

I guess I need to run me some of my purple nugs. Killer photos Buck!!
I take it you used no force or agitation, just add together, freeze, sit, strain, medicate?
Im going to whip some of this up in the proceeding weeks. I have had plenty of tincture, nothing I have made on my own, I used to pick up some local stuff that was made with "kosher" food grade glycerin.

I let it brew for weeks... and every time I see it or add to it I shake and stir the tar out of it, pun intended :cheesygrinsmiley:

I was doing a little research and it looks like I can use my 25 micron bag for my strainer to get next to no impurities, think ill do that.
I'm reading you used 100 proof and with THseas reply the color could have been caused by that.. So I think I will also pick up two bottles 100 and 151 proof and do a little side by side & see what we can get :Namaste: Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom