Help diagnosing

Gimik

Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me identify why my plant is looking the way it is.
Some information: Plant is in Day 17 Veg. I transplanted yesterday from red solo cup --> 1gal filled with FFOF, top-dressed with EWC + ground malted barley. I had clover growing in the 1gal pot while I was waiting for the seedling was ready for transplant, could this have affected it?

Possible Nitrogen + Calcium deficiency?
Visit my journal for additional information... Link in Sig, Organic No Bottle.

Photo Aug 06, 6 46 28 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 06, 6 46 23 PM.jpg

Clover grows in nitrogen poor soil so at least nitrogen defeciency, calcium probably needs some.

If the soil is that far off I'd give up Organic and feed the plant unless you can find organic nutes locally but then you'd have to give up no bottled nutes.

Next round try a super soil fresh out the bag.

Most common causes for what appears to be a magnesium deficiency at this early of growth would probably be root related.
Such as soil staying to wet for too long
Temperature of the root zone too low like in the 60s.
Soil pH too low, below 6

I'd think along those lines first, and if it's none of that then mix a little Epsom salts with a little aloe Vera and yucca extract and foliar the underside of your leaves for a couple days

Clover grows in nitrogen poor soil so at least nitrogen defeciency, calcium probably needs some.

If the soil is that far off I'd give up Organic and feed the plant unless you can find organic nutes locally but then you'd have to give up no bottled nutes.

Next round try a super soil fresh out the bag.

I have a super soil cooking right now. I haven't planted into it yet, figured the FFOF soil would last me for awhile before needing to transplant into my flower pots w/ supersoil. I thought Clover was a nitrogen fixator? So wouldn't there be plenty of nitrogen in the clover roots?

Most common causes for what appears to be a magnesium deficiency at this early of growth would probably be root related.
Such as soil staying to wet for too long
Temperature of the root zone too low like in the 60s.
Soil pH too low, below 6

I'd think along those lines first, and if it's none of that then mix a little Epsom salts with a little aloe Vera and yucca extract and foliar the underside of your leaves for a couple days

I've never had an issue with FFOF soil before, it's always been fine straight out of the bag. I transplanted two plants last in both the same manner, into the same soil, top-dressed with the same amendments... but only one plant is showing signs of deficiency. I suppose I'm going to wait a few days and see if it corrects itself due to being in fresh soil.

I did water the plant while it was in a red solo cup, to make the transplant easier. Then once in the new container I gave it a thorough watering so maybe your right about the roots being wet too long? Before that though the plant had an established wet/dry cycle so idk.

i would go with the transplants and roots also ( root bound in solo) due to the red purple stems , it will bounce back , the leaf damage ( did you hit the leaves when feeding/watering ) ?

Yeah I'm thinking its a root issue. Possibly due to overwatering as well.

I don't remember damaging it during watering, are you talking about the brown spots? If so, the opposite leaf on the same node level has identical brown spots.

It's been 24 hours and things haven't gotten worse which I think is a good sign. Just going to wait and let the plant make the next move.

I have a super soil cooking right now. I haven't planted into it yet, figured the FFOF soil would last me for awhile before needing to transplant into my flower pots w/ supersoil. I thought Clover was a nitrogen fixator? So wouldn't there be plenty of nitrogen in the clover roots?
Yes, clover is one of the nitrogen fixing plants. It has been awhile since I studied this but the clover has to die to release the nitrogen. The clover gathers the nitrogen from the air but then it has to release it. It involves killing off the clover or the clover roots or plowing it back into the soil. I just cannot remember the entire process so it is time for a search.

I did a search using the words:
clover nitrogen fixing
and found this pdf file from the University of Arkansas, Agriculture Department...

https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-2160.pdf

@Apoc mentions the possibility of trying some bottled nutrients (msg #2) and I want to suggest trying some of the liquid fish stuff. Most of them are rated as organic. That would take care of a nitrogen deficiency. You can find liquid fish at not only grow and garden shops but also at some local hardware stores, sometimes at a better price than at the big box home improvement stores.

With some searching you might find a way to bottle feed organic Calcium to the soil and plant. It will get you through while you are dialing in your organic soil mix.

Just some thoughts running through my head.

Enjoy the day.

Hey thanks for linking to the PDF, I'll have to give it a read when I have some spare time.

I have Oyster Shell Flour for the calcium and Fish Meal (9-4-0) for Nitrogen. I can do a top dressing of the two if things don't improve. I checked on the plant this morning but haven't seen any real changes in either direction although I'm starting to notice the other plants are starting to discolor as well.

Hey yall!
Still having issues with my plants. Can you pop over to my grow journal where I posted the most recent pictures? Since the last post (8/12), all I have given them is water.

Back
Top Bottom