Help needed on seedling

Skottelgoed Spons

Hey guys,

Its been 2 weeks now on my 2 seedlings. One seedling is progressing fine but the 2nd seedling has been a weird one for me. Even tho it sproited it has not develop any leaves whatsoever and the weird thing is it is still alive and taking in the water.

I have read that it could be a lack of oxygen due to substrates or over watering. Both of this is fine as I only water every 2nd day when the soil is dry and the drainage in the soil is fine as water do escape through the bottom.

The seedling is still alive and does not show any signs of dying so this tells me that the drainage and watering is fine.

I have no idea why this seedling is doing it. Should I rather just see it as a bad seed and pull it or give it some time still?

Skot

Without some visual clues we would only be taking guesses at what the problem is.

It would really help figure out the problem if there was a photograph or two of the plant with the problem. Maybe one photo from above looking down and one giving a side view. Please take the photos in natural light.
Hey thanks for the response. There is a photo in my current grow journal and I have asked the question twice with in the journal as well.

Photo might not be great but i can take a better one later as well.

Here is a pic:
Please note the seedling on the right.

IMG_20210429_183010.jpg

In natural so that people can see the color of the stem and the two cotyledons. The camera sees all the purple light from the LED pods and that overwhelms all the real colors.

From what is in the photo it does look like the one seedling is overwatered. It would not be taking in all that much water without leaves. Keep in mind that the soil might dry out a bit on top but it will take awhile.

Is that a soil mix of Earthworm Compost and Perlite and Vermiculite and nothing else?

Hey thanks for the response. There is a photo in my current grow journal and I have asked the question twice with in the journal as well.

Photo might not be great but i can take a better one later as well.

Here is a pic:
Please note the seedling on the right.

IMG_20210429_183010.jpg
Its odd looking but still alive. I try and grow out everything regardless if I'm going to flower her or not.
I find i learn something from every problem child.
As long as its alive id grow her out see what you can do with her.
Bill

In natural so that people can see the color of the stem and the two cotyledons. The camera sees all the purple light from the LED pods and that overwhelms all the real colors.

From what is in the photo it does look like the one seedling is overwatered. It would not be taking in all that much water without leaves. Keep in mind that the soil might dry out a bit on top but it will take awhile.

Is that a soil mix of Earthworm Compost and Perlite and Vermiculite and nothing else?
I will take another pic when home after work. Should give you a better perspective then. As said. I only water every second day once the soil is completely dry right through. Seedlings has been germinated in potting soil with perlite mix. Wormcasting mix I will be doing once I trans plant the babies.

It doesn't seem to be over watered as this seedling was the first to sprout and never developed any leaves. I keep to a strict watering cycle as I have burned my bridges with over watering before.

Will post a natural pic later.
Thanks for the response so far. Really appreciate it for the time you taking in helping me figure this issue out.

Its odd looking but still alive. I try and grow out everything regardless if I'm going to flower her or not.
I find i learn something from every problem child.
As long as its alive id grow her out see what you can do with her.
Bill
Thought of maybe just keep it going to see what happens but more worried if it will be worth the time to keep this one going.

For now I will keep it going with the hope that it is a late bloomer. Will call this one my late bloomer if it does change for the better.

There may be a piece of the inner seed casing wrapped around it still.

Sometimes when the casing falls off, there can be a piece of...skin (if you will) wrapped around the cotyledons and won't allow the seedling to open up.

...judging by the picture.

If so, the removal of that skin is a delicate job that requires a steady hand and tweezers.

There may be a piece of the inner seed casing wrapped around it still.

Sometimes when the casing falls off, there can be a piece of...skin (if you will) wrapped around the cotyledons and won't allow the seedling to open up.

...judging by the picture.

If so, the removal of that skin is a delicate job that requires a steady hand and tweezers.
Ouch! I will have to inspect the inside then and check if it may well be this.

Will update a bit later with a better photo as I have to say it was a crap photo I added on here.

Thanks so much for everyone that has responded so far. You guys really rock! This is why I love this forum.

Not on the inside. :) If indeed this is the problem, there will be a little piece of something wrapped around it like a band of sorts; around the outside of it. It may not be big at all.
Oh I see now. Nothing is wrapped around it. The seed outer casing fell off when it sprouted. This is why I find this seedling so weird. I have checked from the top and it seems that if something wanted to develop in the middle but never went through with it. The cotyledons has opened normally for the development of the first leaves but never happened.

I will post a picture for a better eye view.

All is...seemingly okay as Bill stated.

I wonder when she will commence to growing...
This is why I find it so weird that it hasn't develop any leaves yet and it is 2 weeks now. Maybe just a bad seed?

Back
Top Bottom