High Pressure Metal Halide - Is This For Real?

Re: High Pressure Metal Halide.. Is this for real?

You've seen the results of my grow. Thats under 2 400w HPS from Home Depot at $21.95. I have a grower friend who swears however he did a side by side grow... Home Depot basic bulb, and Hortilux Super HPS and got 15% more outta the Hortilux.

My main reason is just to add spectrum, so maybe I will just get one, and use cheap ones in the other. I will have LED's in there too, so I won't miss the reds much. I found some cheap MH lamps, so I may as well use em :) I always thought 2 400w lamps was best for my type of grow, I just didn't think it was feasible economically.

I hear ya man... I'm half on the market for a couple 200w MH myself. I'd like to go to a total of 1200 watts, and adding some blue spectrum would be nice.

Someone was talking about the CRI before, its not important for grow lights, as CRI refers to how well the light source maintains the original colour of the things that its lighting. So if your plant looks really green or slightly purple under the light, this makes no difference, to how much light the plants absorbing, focus on the colour of the actual light, do you get red or blue at the most delicious wavelength or not.
I'm biased, but hey here goes, forget the HID, HPMH, HPS etc go for LEDs, sit down with a calculator and figure out how much money you will save on the electricity, it will blow you away, also you'll have environmentally friendly weed, Happy days :ganjamon:
I'm biased as well. Forget the LED's until they have been proven. So far every person I've known who have used them has been extremely disappointed with the results. Most say they work alright for veg growth but truly suck for flower growth. Until they get cheaper and more effective they should only e used as supplemental lighting in conjunction with a HID. Yes they conserve energy but that's a moot point if they don't grow weed worth a crap!

Just my opinion.

sounds like high pressure MH is same or very similar to CMH[ ceramic metal halide

some new light co ?[ advanced tech lighting.com [[some variant of this
]] was terlling me that that STandard HPS Ballasts ie S51 for 400watt
will work for these bulbs CMH burt electronics won't at this time

but that electrionic ballasts for CMH would be out soon this was a couple months ago

check out phillips lighting's web sites

Don't buy it. If you are looking for a great bulb, use a ceramic metal halide bulb with a standard hps ballast. The light spectrum is the best I have ever seen! I believe this 400 watt bulb will out perform a 1000 watt hps.

dj420 what are the names of some of the lights your suggesting?

Isn't that simiar to the ceramalux or ceramic metal halide? I use the Hortilux Blue "Daylight" MH 1000wt $240.00 but have heard rumblings about this new technology and wanted to thank you all for discussing this here
:thanks:

Sounds like a CMH. Runs on a magnetic (S51) HPS ballast.

Check out Welcome To Advanced Technology Solutions ~ Lighting Divison

More info there.

Right now, I'm running both a 400w HPS and a 400w MH. I'm going to get a CMH bulb for the HPS and it it works well, get a rebuild kit (HPS) and another bulb and replace the MH.

$53 for the bulb
$58 for the rebuild kit

DD

DJ is absolutely right. i may not be up to speed on the latest technology but i think philips is the only one to make the ceramic metal halide(maybe not). u must use standard hps ballast (NOT DIGITAL). the last time i checked it was only in 400w. a fellow grower in my area uses these & compared to my 600w hps & my 1000 mh he just smokes my grows. damm kid's makin' me look bad, now. lol! live & learn.

i tried 1 it was a 1000 watt bulb from artemis it worked great on my digital ballast had a cool light it put out shadows were multicolored the second day it wouldnt fire fire up i read some fine print on package takes a special ballast ANSI S52 BALLAST ONLY i wish i would have known they are called dual arc hortilux makes one

I have 2 lights in my setup, 1 400w magnetic ballast and one 600w digital ballast. I run a 600w HPS in the digital ballast for the full cycle, however, in my 400w magnetic ballast I have 2 bulbs I switch between. 1 is the 400w Ushio MH conversion which is a Kick booty bulb for veg. It is extremely high in the blue end and has a decent red end, perfect for veg. When it is time to switch over to flowering I change the 400w bulb to a Phillips retro white Ceramic Metal Halide... These CMH bulbs are awesome, very heavy red end with a full spectrum. I made a home made spectrometer to view what my light's were putting out, its easy and cheep and gives you a great idea of what bands of light your bulbs put out... check out the link

DIY Spectrometer - Check what wavelengths your lights give out

Here is the differences between my bulbs..:

Ceramic Metal Halide 400w by Phillips (notice the full spectrum similar to sunlight, with a very full red end and also a very good blue end)
Ceramic_MH.JPG

Ushio 400w MH conversion (notice how the bands are not full spectrum but more distinct bands of light, a very heavy blue end as well)
Ushio_Optiblue.JPG

600w Ushio HPS running at 400w
Ushio_Optired.JPG

yeah i run a mh conversion bulb 6k in my 400watt magnetic, my 2nd 400watt magnetic setup should be here today or monday, debating to run 2 of the phillips retro's or run a heavy red hps and the phillips.

Hi guys,i've been running 2 phillips cmh 400w,after experimenting with 2 blackstar leds (240).I wasted 2 grows with the leds.For me the 400watters are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom