How does global warming make you feel about mmj?

LED-Freak

Comment about this, I would like to hear input and perhaps ideas on how to cut our energy by products.
People growing marijuana indoors use 1 percent of the U.S. electricity supply, and they create 17 million metric tons of carbon dioxide every year (not counting the smoke exhaled) according to a report by Evan Mills, an energy analyst at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

After medical pot use was made legal in California in 1996, Mills says, per-person residential electricity use in Humboldt County jumped 50 percent compared to other parts of the state.

In order to produce some 17,000 metric tons of marijuana this year, Mills estimates authorized growers will use $5 billion worth of energy. That works out to the output of seven big electric power plants.

Much of the carbon dioxide produced by the industry comes from transportation, though the need for lights “500-times greater than recommended for reading” also uses a lot of power and generates a lot of pollution. Air conditioning, ventilation and humidity control also contribute.

In California, some 400,000 authorized growers use about 3 percent of the state’s electricity for their business.

“This corresponds to the electricity use of 1 million average California homes, greenhouse-gas emissions equal to those from 1 million average cars, and energy expenditures of $3 billion a year,” Mills says. However, since California is such a green state, it only generates 20 percent of national carbon dioxide emissions from pot growing, while using 70 percent of nationwide energy for this industry.

“From the perspective of individual consumers, a single Cannabis cigarette represents 2 pounds of (carbon dioxide) emissions,” Mills says.

For this report, which he published independently, Mills says he didn’t count the energy used in producing fertilizer, water, equipment and building materials also used in indoor pot farms.

Read more: Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity | San Francisco Business Times
Marijuana causes global warming, uses 1% of U.S. electricity | San Francisco Business Times

I left my comments about the article in the original thread this was posted in. Here's the original thread> Marijuana Growing Gobbles Electricity, Study Finds. As far as global warming goes I think its a trade off. We're growing plants. Last time I checked plants help fight global warming. Hundreds of thousands of plants (or more) vs a 1% energy consumption factor. Seems like a no brainer.

the 1% of all electricity used to grow mmj, which uses a decent amount of c02, is not much compared to other things lots of people have.

YouTube - QI - Ecological footprint [QI S08E09]

Also, I may be completely wrong, but I heard a volcanic eruption puts out more c02 than all of humanity, or something like along those lines. Not saying it's true, just that any media outlet likes to fluff claims and such to seem like it's more of a factor than it actually is.

save the world,,,, PLANT A TREE.... just make that tree a pot tree........

Personally, I think that "global-warming" is somewhat subjective, depending on what your philisophically want to believe. I mean if you take the "sky is falling" approach I would suppose that it really depends on who you surround yourself with.

Look at the ostrich.. there are alot of people who believe if they can't see it, whatever comes can not harm them. bad approach..(IMO)

Look at the "Chicken Little" approach, well you get so consumed in believing that everything that is not understood, is going to "club" you over the head.

MMJ growers and enthusiasts, sort of fall into either one of the previous schools of thought, or they become informed and use what they believe in thier attempts to thwart "big brother" government.

Personally, I ride middle of the road. Solar keeps down my electric bill, nominally enough to keep electric co from calling the Swat Teams, and I also get benefit of saving a little of my hard earned cash..

Using opeque green house(s), which allows us to use natural light 75% of the time in cloning and in veg stages, and synthetic lighting the other 25% of the time to accommodate the 16/8 cycles for the plants.

Plants use CO-2 to produce O2, and by using exhaust filtration keeps both odors from neighbors' noses and thus keeps SWAT from my doors, which also filter out impurities in my air spaces inside the grow areas.

Old nutes, are watered down and placed on my front yard and unused plant parts make great mulches for my yard and flower beds, when mixed with natural leaves from the trees in the yard..

I think that by saying that MMJ growers are making things harsh on our environment, is just another feable attempt to place road blocks in the legalization of MMJ. (Not to discount, irresponsible growers who end up getting busted anyways, for what ever reason, as they dont care enough to be descrete, so how can we rely on them to be responsible..)...

I'm Just Sayin..... IMO:Rasta:

Re: OOOOKay? Care To Expound?

Great that u have an opinion like the rest of us. Care to elaborate?

I hate politics but I was the one whe replied so ok.

IMO, the scientific data used to put together the climate models was incomplete. Corporations with deep pockets that stand to profit by producing "green" products like G.E. care nothing about the truth. Its all about the bottom line.

Cap and trade will needlessly tax current forms of energy placing more burden on middle class tax payers and slow the recovery of the U.S. economy.

There is a strong case based on the last 20 years of scientific data gathered by climatologists around the globe that the planet is actually cooling at the moment. But thats just it. 20 years is not enough. 100 maybe.

Earth warms. Then it cools. Then warms. Then it cools again. Its a cyclical process thats been going on since the beginning.

Remember. This is my humble opinion.

WTF is going on with this weather? i'm sick of it,,, cold, rain, snow, its supposed to be spring....btw i live in Wa. st. .....just had to say "something" here....

Understood

IMO, the scientific data used to put together the climate models was incomplete. Corporations with deep pockets that stand to profit by producing "green" products like G.E. care nothing about the truth. Its all about the bottom line.

Cap and trade will needlessly tax current forms of energy placing more burden on middle class tax payers and slow the recovery of the U.S. economy.

There is a strong case based on the last 20 years of scientific data gathered by climatologists around the globe that the planet is actually cooling at the moment. But thats just it. 20 years is not enough. 100 maybe.

Earth warms. Then it cools. Then warms. Then it cools again. Its a cyclical process thats been going on since the beginning.

I like how you presented your position. I understand where you're coming from with that said. Interesting.:peacetwo:

Re: OOOOKay? Care To Expound?

:goodjob::welldone:

Back when I was in High School (Mid '60's), the *experts* at that time believed we were at the start of a new ice age.

Go figure.:popcorn:

A good book is "State of Fear" by Michael Chrichton. Really does a number on the eco-terrorist's and their scare tactics.

You can make 'facts' lie all sorts of ways.

DD

Here in So. Oreganja, I have been noticing a shift in trend and timing... the onset of Spring and Fall, it is coming earlier and later than it did 35 years ago when I first came here.
It is my thoughts that we are not really seeing "global warming" but more of a climate shift... I have done some looking and find that there are patterns that emerge.

The weather we have today is comparable to times past when the weather took on a different timing/character for a while and then went to something else!

There is nothing new under the sun... cept maybe the Summer Sistas!

Besides, have you ever used something extensively... it perishes w/the use... it's not rocket surgery!

Here in So. Oreganja, I have been noticing a shift in trend and timing... the onset of Spring and Fall, it is coming earlier and later than it did 35 years ago when I first came here.
It is my thoughts that we are not really seeing "global warming" but more of a climate shift... I have done some looking and find that there are patterns that emerge.

The weather we have today is comparable to times past when the weather took on a different timing/character for a while and then went to something else!

There is nothing new under the sun... cept maybe the Summer Sistas!

Besides, have you ever used something extensively... it perishes w/the use... it's not rocket surgery!

AMEN Brotha...

Back
Top Bottom