How much Hydroton for 4'x4' ?

Droopy Dog

Found a deal, not so local, where a guy bought a boatload (over 1/2 ton), of hydroton for a project that didn't work out. Listed at $20/40# (=$.50/lb), and will deal on quantity.

By looking around, I see that 50L Is ~42#+. That at least gives me an estimation of weight vs volume. He is selling by weight and the stores sell by volume. Still, a good bit cheaper than the 50L bags I've seen.

Question is, for you guys that know, how much does it take to fill up a 4x4 ebb and flood tray? From experience ..... I can do the calculations.;)

How many 50L bags do you you use? No matter if it's pots, rockwool cubes (large or small), whatever.

I plan on 64 clones in 5"x5" square pots, but that can change.:slide:

What I was thinking was, It's a 150 mile round trip, but no outrageous shipping charges, but I still have to make it worthwhile.

I've also read about the 'pain in the butt' cleaning of hydroton, and figured at least twice what was needed would be nice so you could clean 1 batch at your leisure.:ganjamon:

I was thinking about making an offer on 200# (about 5, 50L bags+-), get more for a better deal? Price drops at 200# and I bet I could get the 5 40# for less than $100.

But, how much do I, in reality, need? There is like 1/2 ton available, but 1/2 ton would be pushing it a bit.:yikes:

DD

150 ltrs fills 20 2 gallon pots

32.95 per 50ltr bag....do not clean and reuse.ph becomes erratic on the 2nd grow, ive been using hydroton nonstop for a year and know its limitations

150 ltrs fills 20 2 gallon pots

32.95 per 50ltr bag....do not clean and reuse.ph becomes erratic on the 2nd grow, ive been using hydroton nonstop for a year and know its limitations

OK, thanks.

3 50L bags should be about 120# worth, so 260# should give me 2 complete fills and a bit left over. I could transport more, but storage may be a problem.:scratchinghead:

At least now I have some amounts to work with.:thanks:

DD

try stuff called readygro...just started with it and seems im likeing it more and more i use it...

Back
Top Bottom