Using coco coir, perlite and hydroton in ebb and flow

Pinktiger777

I've been growing in hydroton exclusively now for a few years, but I'm looking for a lighter medium. Does anyone have experience growing with a mixture (50/50) of coco coir and perlite on top, and a 2-inch layer of hydroton at the bottom?
I saw a rather old article online that suggests it:
Article Link
I'm so tired of lugging 30 pound bags of hydroton downstairs. Also, it is often difficult to up-pot my clones into the hydroton, as I grow the clones in DWC. It is roots and stem when I put it in the pot; I've been layering the hydroton with the roots, but always worry about damage. This wouldn't be such an issue with the coco coir and perlite mix, would it?
Thanks to anyone offering info.

OK, peeps: @InTheShed, @Pennywise @Vulx or anyone - (wish there were a hashtag for anyone, LOL)
I have a question. When using coco coir and perlite versus hydroton, is the growth in the plants different?
I'm noticing a couple of things, and we are in the fourth week of veg in the big tent. Usually, by now I'm ready to flip. But these plants are not going to be ready. They aren't tall enough.

See:

This is what they should look like:

I'm not unhappy with my plants. They are more compact, actually, than before. And I think I know why: The roots are not poking out of the bottom like they usually do. If a root is happy staying where it is (I assume the absorbent quality of the media keeps them moist and full of air) then it won't seek more.
So it becomes rootbound and the plant is stunted. Which, to be honest, is wonderful. I do not mind a longer veg time. And maybe, just maybe, I won't have to continue pushing them down before they're ripe.

Thoughts?

If you’re running in coco it’s a hybrid between hydro and soil. I’ve grown plants 5’ tall with coco. The thing that hydro does is grows big plants fast. Coco isn’t quite as fast but can grow huge plants.

If you’re running in coco it’s a hybrid between hydro and soil. I’ve grown plants 5’ tall with coco. The thing that hydro does is grows big plants fast. Coco isn’t quite as fast but can grow huge plants.
Ok, that makes sense, but nothing but the media (coco coir and perlite) changed. Still in hydro, still having same schedule for watering.
It's going to be interesting seeing how these plants yield.

I’m using 2 inches of hydroton in the bottom of pots and a 75-25 mix of coco and hydroton in my autopots. Plants seem happy
40625A07-6D1C-4620-A225-CF78ACC4E491.jpeg

I’m using 2 inches of hydroton in the bottom of pots and a 75-25 mix of coco and hydroton in my autopots. Plants seem happy
40625A07-6D1C-4620-A225-CF78ACC4E491.jpeg
Thanks, yours are beautiful!

Hi there! Ebb and flow.
I am about to start my first ebb flow setup, I read that more than 5 minutes flooding would hurt young plants, but the timers on my brain box only do 15 minute increments. Concerned about using the coco perlite mix also with how many times to fill, drain at first, if I should use another medium?

I use coco/perlite for a medium. And I don't worry too much about exact timing. Basically, what you want is to have a long enough flood time for the water to get into the pots, and feed for a few minutes and then to turn off and drain. Coco retains enough moisture in between flooding. But also allows for lots of oxygen to get in there. I love it and will use it in the future. 15 is probably long enough, but your plants will tell you if it is too much or not enough. I do every six hours for 30 minutes. Works very well.

Thank you, I am getting close to the big day of setting up my flood level, setting up my medium and moving my seedlings. I had read it's a good idea to hand water them the first week lightly the first week in buckets? Sorry so many questions, but I really dont wanna kill these girls. I ran some bag seeds as a trial in coco loco soil and have struggled with hitting the water schedule. I'm hoping to see the new girls happier in the hydro setup.

Back
Top Bottom