How to Setup a Grow Closet

Rasta Mahn

Hello everyone I'm starting my first grow and I need some tips. First my grow space is a closet with a window and the length is 5 feet, width 3 feet, and height of 9 feet. I will be using 1-400w HID reflector to start out about 2-4 autoflowering strains. I wanna know if getting an ipower 4inch carbon filter/Inline fan combo which has 175 cfm and a cisno 4inch duct fan exhaust vent to vent the hot air out my window and that fan is about 100 cfm. Will this be good enough to vent properly? *Note my closet and house stays relatively cool all year round so the heat I'm not worried about. If anybody can help I'd greatly appreciate it thank you

That fan should be able to vent it properly. Only real way to know is to get it setup and see. I think you are a little short on light though. I would personally go with a 600 watt dimmable ballast and use an air cooled reflector or a cool tube with 6" ducting.

I'm not sure of the 175cfm for the 4inch inline you're talking about. Is that with or without the scrubber? I'm guessing it would be without. I always half the cfm rating that mfg's claim. A vortex type fan will also keep cfm higher than a inline fan. It's a matter of design. You have roughly 135cf of air to move. I'd go 4" vortex min for one fan. A 6 inch fan would be even better. I have a 6 inch 440cfm pulling through a scrubber on a digital dimmer that runs around 40%, this is for 96CF. Over estimating your vent and odor control means you never have to explain what that smell is.

If you have the funds for the venting and scrubbing equipment, go for it.

If you're running on a limited budget, like I had to do, you can get by with passive venting methods and 6 - 8 23W clip-on CFL lights. The fans are mandatory inside the space, however, strong enough to rustle the leaves. For venting, you could get a double window fan and point it outwards. You can make a DIY odor sink out of a desk fan, 5 gal bucket and some solid linen-scented deodorizers.

Back
Top Bottom