I don't know what to do, any suggestions?

I'm on the other fence, I pay more attention to runoff than my input and adjust accordingly. If you cycle the medium often enough and monitor runoff you will see a lot of different changes going on in the root zone throughout the grow that you would otherwise be unaware of.

If you don't know the pH of the medium you don't know how to compensate or fix a potential pH drift. People often feed more instead of fixing the main problem that is low nutrient bio-availability due to pH being out of range. You can mask a problem by feeding more but never really fix it without pH adjustments.

A sativa dominant plant will burn to bits at 2150ppm runoff! Way overfed or not watered frequent enough. Letting a pot go too dry between waterings will cause problems with salt buildup and high ppm on the runoff.
I’m of the thinking that I want my plants to have everything they want when flowering and feed daily till runoff. I check my nutes ph occasionally but it seems to stay the same. CL🍀

For my rwcent first grow, I used nutrients, I underfed them, under watered them, never flushed them correctly. I got about an ounce of airy buds that burned like I was smoking carpet.

This time I went organic with the living soil mix. No nutrients, no flushing, just water. They're autos at 6 inches and vegging like crazy right now after some LST. Using happy frog potting soil 5/1 with living soil mixed in. Then a light dusting of living soil with a light raking every 2 - 3 weeks. Light between 18 - 20 inches. Temps 69-75, Rx 55-60. The pH I'm lowering with lemon juice, instead of pH down, as to not kill the beasties in the soil.

I'm hoping more for quality than yield this time. Nutrients are complicated when you're baked all day long.

So far it's been a pretty hands off grow. The way things are going in would advise an organic grow for beginners, had I known how much easier it was, I would have done it the first time too.

I remember scouring that leaf chart that shows the different deficiencies, it's so hard to recognize the right one. My main problem was mostly bad pH.

Good luck for your girl, the advice here is steller BTW. Every comment I read is all from hands on experience, a great resource.
Hello, what kind of soil are you using now please?

For my rwcent first grow, I used nutrients, I underfed them, under watered them, never flushed them correctly. I got about an ounce of airy buds that burned like I was smoking carpet.

This time I went organic with the living soil mix. No nutrients, no flushing, just water. They're autos at 6 inches and vegging like crazy right now after some LST. Using happy frog potting soil 5/1 with living soil mixed in. Then a light dusting of living soil with a light raking every 2 - 3 weeks. Light between 18 - 20 inches. Temps 69-75, Rx 55-60. The pH I'm lowering with lemon juice, instead of pH down, as to not kill the beasties in the soil.

I'm hoping more for quality than yield this time. Nutrients are complicated when you're baked all day long.

So far it's been a pretty hands off grow. The way things are going in would advise an organic grow for beginners, had I known how much easier it was, I would have done it the first time too.

I remember scouring that leaf chart that shows the different deficiencies, it's so hard to recognize the right one. My main problem was mostly bad pH.

Good luck for your girl, the advice here is steller BTW. Every comment I read is all from hands on experience, a great resource.
I prob take what yr sayin n run with it on my next go round…I don’t like chemicals, A big Beef I have with our whole damn species. LST? This yr first grow w/o any added nutrients?..
I’d be surprised if plant don’t suffer some deficiencies by flower time as I’m seeing they need allot of nutrients. .LIVING SOIL? like making yr own?.. or a type u can buy?
i Know I’ll be tryn Hydroponic at some point. But still got plenty of HF and OF soil left. Will use tht up, master growing in soil first, then move on to tht.

I use MG organic for containers it's buffed as well and works exactly the same as Fox farm soils.

Is this what you are using?

Screenshot_20240321-213209.png

Exactly what I now use every grow for about full year zero issues. I feed with Tomato stay green from LHI 18-18-21. Needing to cut back on nitrogen during flower is a MYTH period.
What strains are you growing? You will fry a 100% Sativa with that. CL🍀

You think mother nature shuts off the nitrogen switch in the wild or is it more likely the plant pulls nitrogen all life cycles. You decide what the right answer is.
You go ahead and believe whatever you believe and I’ll believe what my experience growing a 100 % Sativa has taught me. Happy growing. CL🍀

Hello, what kind of soil are you using now please?
I prob take what yr sayin n run with it on my next go round…I don’t like chemicals, A big Beef I have with our whole damn species. LST? This yr first grow w/o any added nutrients?..
I’d be surprised if plant don’t suffer some deficiencies by flower time as I’m seeing they need allot of nutrients. .LIVING SOIL? like making yr own?.. or a type u can buy?
i Know I’ll be tryn Hydroponic at some point. But still got plenty of HF and OF soil left. Will use tht up, master growing in soil first, then move on to tht.
I got it in Amazon. It's called "nature's living soil". It smells like absolute death. If manure was a 1, this stuff would be a 10 lol.

It's in the process of braking down into all the nutrients the plant needs, encouraging fungi growth near the roots, which feed the roots as they feed themselves.

Theoretically the plant takes what it wants, when it needs it. The LST (low stress training) ie just bending the main stem to let the light trigger the lower branches into thinking they're going to be the highest part of the plant. So they grow bigger and hopefully produce more flower sites?

My first grow I only did a little bending, but the branches near the bends I did make, grew really strong and ended up just an inch or two shorter than the main cola.

So this time I made sure to bend them as early as possible. I figure if I can get the lower branches to catch up to the height of the central stem, I might get that 'Sea Of Green' (SOG) and a bunch of buds.

Left side is Amnesia Auto, and the other is Bruce Banner Auto. And I just sprouted another Bruce Banner to try and grow in my DIY cardboard grow box lol.

They both look happy enough, no nutrients. But I did add a little organic Fox Farm bat and earthworm "shit", as that feeds the bacteria that feeds, the fungi, that feeds the roots. Fingers crossed.

20240321_142941.jpg

20240322_033220.jpg

20240322_033229.jpg

All medium with salt based nutrients needs to be flushed every 3 to 5 weeks to maintain proper uptake and ion exchange environment. Or potential hydrogen as it's also explained.
If you need to repeatedly flush you're overfeeding, it's that simple. With proper feeding strength you have no excess salts and minerals to flush out of the medium.

Following nutrient manufacturers feeding schedules to a tee will ask for this but they're only after your money and can't tell you what the plant wants in terms of optimal nutrition.

Saying every salt based nutrient needs to be flushed every 3 to 5 weeks is a false statement. It's only needed if the medium holds excess salts from over feeding.

You think mother nature shuts off the nitrogen switch in the wild or is it more likely the plant pulls nitrogen all life cycles. You decide what the right answer is.
Yes, the cannabis plant needs Nitrogen the entire life cycle. All the green parts need Nitrogen, from the stems to the leaves and that includes the sugar leaves and brachts. Most of us are growing the plant for the trichomes which develop on those sugar leaves and green flower parts.

When the plant goes into flower it starts to demand more Nitrogen to support the growth of the fan leaves and other green parts of the flower and it the N is not available through the root system the plant will pull what it needs from the fan leaves.

My theory is that decades ago when the underground growers started meeting up the ones who had gotten some basic botany and plant classed remembered that the growers of most crop plants did reduce the Nitrogen to their crops because they were looking for fruits that were not green or for flowers that were colorful. The natural belief was that the Marijuana plants they were growing were the same way and that using more nitrogen would cut down on the flower buds. But, we want the green sugar leaves since that is where we find most of the trichomes we are looking for.

As for the rest of the points or the issues being argued might be getting out of control:peacetwo:.

hey Yo my new friends. Am thinkn bout going ahead and pull trigger for a higher end ph pen. (as haven't mixed nutes or ph up/down enough times to know off hand.)
Whats the.. (well best is subjective) but most used and trusted PH Pen?
three im thinking on:
Blueslab ph pen $120
Apera Instruments AI209 $49
AC infinity (most thinkn on as my setup is AC I.) $80.. or might do $150 for pro 4in1 tester

I got that Apera one, feels good, seems accurate. I had just calibrated it and I knocked over the entire 7ph bottle lol.

I also bought a few rolls of litmus paper pH tests. Gives you a quick second opinion just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom