I need some advice drying

I'm
When drying fresh cannabis buds the proper way the following circumstances are required:

• Temperature: In the first 3 days the best temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius. This way the buds will dry quick, but not too fast. After 3 days the temperature should be lowered to about 17-18 degrees Celsius to slow down the process.
  • Humidity: In the first 3 days the relative humidity should be around 50%. After three days the relative humidity should rise to about 60%, again with the reason to slow down the drying process.
  • Air circulation: It's very important there's enough air circulation in the room, so it's advisable to use an electric driven fan. A ventilation fan can also come in handy to control the temperature and humidity. Don't point the fan directly on the buds though, this will dry the cannabis buds unevenly.
  • Darkness: The room should be relatively dark as light, especially direct sunlight, degrades THC.

• Found this online. I’m thinking you have had ideal temps and rh so far and should be able to achieve the parameters set out here to extend your drying times to what you are looking for.
Gonna have some issues. My basement is staying around 82 farenheit
I dont have a ac.
Assuming this is not good for drying ?

It’s crazy how much different tech goes into every aspect of weed. You are right tho at 72 hours dry hang already your buds would turn out crispy not dripping with glue. Yes that water cure is neat but it’s like minimal terps & taste afterwards. I think cobs are a better choice still get terps & taste but very smooth.

I like those accutemps Bluter, I’ve got cheapie digital ones- your look much better

digital are way better as a rule lol.

I'm

Gonna have some issues. My basement is staying around 82 farenheit
I dont have a ac.
Assuming this is not good for drying ?

ouch but done hotter. what's the rh ? a lot depends on that.

When drying fresh cannabis buds the proper way the following circumstances are required:

• Temperature: In the first 3 days the best temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius. This way the buds will dry quick, but not too fast. After 3 days the temperature should be lowered to about 17-18 degrees Celsius to slow down the process.
  • Humidity: In the first 3 days the relative humidity should be around 50%. After three days the relative humidity should rise to about 60%, again with the reason to slow down the drying process.
  • Air circulation: It's very important there's enough air circulation in the room, so it's advisable to use an electric driven fan. A ventilation fan can also come in handy to control the temperature and humidity. Don't point the fan directly on the buds though, this will dry the cannabis buds unevenly.
  • Darkness: The room should be relatively dark as light, especially direct sunlight, degrades THC.

• Found this online. I’m thinking you have had ideal temps and rh so far and should be able to achieve the parameters set out here to extend your drying times to what you are looking for.

great post. these are the perfect lab type conditions.

don't fret too much though. everybody works with what they have.

WOW thanks man that's some handy info right there! I guess I shall go into my room and check the dehumidifier is set to 60% RH.. Thanks very much buddy !:ganjamon:

Be careful the dehum can dry the plants out too fast
Yeah I have seen this around in a few reads when I was researching! Thanks for the extra heads up buddy, I currently have my window open to let air in and out and the 2 fans are running at floor level. I have the dehu round the back of the room set to 60%. Currently sitting at 17.C and 56% RH so its not even running just now,.
So far so good that's 4 days now and they look less than half way there I would guess drying wise.

only about a grand of unneeded crap.

if you need expensive junk to help you dry after a couple runs hang your head and go back to the dispensaries ..

@celticlyle - don't over think it. simple approach is always better

You know me already.. Over thinking stoner ;D I shall be patient. Just waiting for the branched that hold the bids to kinda snap but not break in half snap.

I too am about to harvest my girls. It's a first for me so yeah all those butterflies
Just harvested my first grow Thursday night. Nine girls. Don’t want to mess it up haha. It’s very humid here. I have my humidity at about 60% average and room temp at 68f-70f. Going for a 10 day dry before cure. What do I need to watch for? Had a mini panic yesterday when my whole backyard smelled like buds. I was wondering why all the birds and squirrels were acting so funny. Had to act fast!

honestly it's just experience now. i lift them when they are hanging to "feel" the weight and how crispy the outside of the buds are. when happy i do final trim and jar.

once in the jars i burp them daily until they hit a stable rh at 55 - 60%, then leave jarred and stored until use. i also use the bovedas for long term storage. you can jar them up with a boveda at final trim, and just let the boveda help get them stable. it's not hard to do if you have those little hygrometers.
How long do you leave the lid off when burping?
How long does the Rh of 55-60% have to be stable for before leaving jarred and stored for use?
Once Rh is stabilized, you said you leave jarred and stored...does that mean you don't burp the jars anymore?
Cheers!

When curing, I read that until the Rh stabilizes, you don't put boveda pack in with jar, any truth to this? When a certain Rh % is reached,it's says to put a boveda pack in? How many boveda packs can go in a jar? Is there a ratio of weed to jar size when curing?

How long do you leave the lid off when burping?

i jar a few up with a hygrometer. i leave the lids off til the hygrometer comes down to 55% - 60% rh or so. the hygrometers aren't precise.

How long does the Rh of 55-60% have to be stable for before leaving jarred and stored for use?

a couple days. won't change much once it gets there.
i monitor for about a wk once there to be sure.

Once Rh is stabilized, you said you leave jarred and stored...does that mean you don't burp the jars anymore?

yup. just leave them alone for long term storage.

When curing, I read that until the Rh stabilizes, you don't put boveda pack in with jar, any truth to this? When a certain Rh % is reached,it's says to put a boveda pack in?

i pretty much pop them in there at jar. it's just easier. if you jar real wet i would hold off. they will pull excess out and re-hydrate to a small degree. what they really do is help distribute the moisture content evenly. they aren't miracle bags, but will help newer folk with curing quite a bit.

How many boveda packs can go in a jar? Is there a ratio of weed to jar size when curing?

i use quart jars i pack pretty solid and add one boveda per jar. leave at least a little airspace at the top.
i think boveda suggests using more but i don't find it necessary.

here's an example ...

some northern lights cbd i jarred up. might not see them, but there is one boveda in each of those jars. you can see the amount of space i leave at the top.

note the cheap hygrometers. i don't always put one in each jar. you just need to keep an eye on one or two out of a half dozen or so. the rest will be doing the same. i use one or two of the hygrometers for each strain i jar up.

the tops are just about to go back on in this pic. the hygrometers are reading about 50%, which was the avg room rh at that time.. i couldn't tell you how long the tops were off, i just let them sit until the hygrometer reaches the avg room rh.

i usually have one or two of the things just sitting around, so it i just have a look at that to get a grip on the room rh.

i jar a few up with a hygrometer. i leave the lids off til the hygrometer comes down to 55% - 60% rh or so. the hygrometers aren't precise.

a couple days. won't change much once it gets there.
i monitor for about a wk once there to be sure.

yup. just leave them alone for long term storage.

i pretty much pop them in there at jar. it's just easier. if you jar real wet i would hold off. they will pull excess out and re-hydrate to a small degree. what they really do is help distribute the moisture content evenly. they aren't miracle bags, but will help newer folk with curing quite a bit.

i use quart jars i pack pretty solid and add one boveda per jar. leave at least a little airspace at the top.
i think boveda suggests using more but i don't find it necessary.

here's an example ...

some northern lights cbd i jarred up. might not see them, but there is one boveda in each of those jars. you can see the amount of space i leave at the top.

note the cheap hygrometers. i don't always put one in each jar. you just need to keep an eye on one or two out of a half dozen or so. the rest will be doing the same. i use one or two of the hygrometers for each strain i jar up.

the tops are just about to go back on in this pic. the hygrometers are reading about 50%, which was the avg room rh at that time.. i couldn't tell you how long the tops were off, i just let them sit until the hygrometer reaches the avg room rh.

i usually have one or two of the things just sitting around, so it i just have a look at that to get a grip on the room rh.
Perfect! Thank you, now I understand. When I leave them in jars should they be in the dark?

Perfect! Thank you, now I understand. When I leave them in jars should they be in the dark?

yes. preferably. light exposure will degrade thc and other cannabinoids.

mine generally wind up in a box in the pantry closet. just cause there's no room elsewhere in the pantry.
a pantry closet, wine cellar, or random dry space in the basement is great for long term storage. they don't need piles.

Back
Top Bottom