I screwed up my new seedlings - that normally doesn't happen

Fietchen

Hello,
i belive there is a curse on me i don't loosing Seedlings normaly Growing for 8 year's yes I lost some in the past but the last 3 year's ore more everything is good and i made my own Seedlings Grow Box with Air holes but it looks like i loose all my 5 Seedlings because of the lid on the small Box so Bad Air exchange i don't know why i have done this but this is a case...

Some Seeds Grow with the Tap Root Up and i was wondering normaly they go up then down and lift the Seedlings Head and the Baby Plant show up... I open the Cube and place the Seed upside down and all of them i water with Hydrogen Peroxide 3% try to boost the oxygen level and hopefully they survive and i remove the lid so air can reache the Cubes so... I hope that not gone happening again i lost maybe 5 great quality seeds there :(

Do you think they maybe survive??? I hope the H2O2 kill bad bacteria and boost the oxygen in the Tap Root..

IMG_20231005_113632.jpg
IMG_20231004_090745.jpg
IMG_20231005_114044.jpg
IMG_20231005_114042.jpg

Hello,
i belive there is a curse on me i don't loosing Seedlings normaly Growing for 8 year's yes I lost some in the past but the last 3 year's ore more everything is good and i made my own Seedlings Grow Box with Air holes but it looks like i loose all my 5 Seedlings because of the lid on the small Box so Bad Air exchange i don't know why i have done this but this is a case...

Some Seeds Grow with the Tap Root Up and i was wondering normaly they go up then down and lift the Seedlings Head and the Baby Plant show up... I open the Cube and place the Seed upside down and all of them i water with Hydrogen Peroxide 3% try to boost the oxygen level and hopefully they survive and i remove the lid so air can reache the Cubes so... I hope that not gone happening again i lost maybe 5 great quality seeds there :(

Do you think they maybe survive??? I hope the H2O2 kill bad bacteria and boost the oxygen in the Tap Root..

IMG_20231005_113632.jpg
IMG_20231004_090745.jpg
IMG_20231005_114044.jpg
IMG_20231005_114042.jpg
They are drowning!! Let the medium dry and keep em outa that box.

They are drowning!! Let the medium dry and keep em outa that box.
This ^^^^ ! Way too wet, and a dome is only needed to keep the medium from drying out until they pop above the soil. Leaving it on after that only invites nasty things like damping off disease.

Also, the hydrogen peroxide will kill off the beneficial bacteria the seed naturally has with it that helps it immediately after it splits. I'd lose that practice.

Plant the seed on its side so you don't have to worry about roots growing up or down. They'll figure it out on their own.

This ^^^^ ! Way too wet, and a dome is only needed to keep the medium from drying out until they pop above the soil. Leaving it on after that only invites nasty things like damping off disease.

Also, the hydrogen peroxide will kill off the beneficial bacteria the seed naturally has with it that helps it immediately after it splits. I'd lose that practice.

Plant the seed on its side so you don't have to worry about roots growing up or down. They'll figure it out on their own.
Yes, do you think i lost all the Seedlings here??? Yeah it's too wet because it can't dry out because the was on it so shit happens here normaly i place it in coco directly but my last grows with the tube was good they all come out... I hope i can survive them..

Seed to the side is natural yes I do it up because i see the Root

Leave the cover off and let it dry a bit. I'd probably wrap a paper towel around the cube to absorb some of the extra water for a few minutes, or put a gentle fan blowing across it. Anything to get you back closer to the zone.

In the past the box working great sucks right know... Removing the lid alone helps?
It sounds like you have picked up so many bits of information along the way and are now trying to use each one of them at the same time. Now you are overthinking every part of each method of getting seeds to sprout.

Everything in the photos and what you have mentioned makes me believe that you have been over-watering from the start.

I have a question and the answer will really help us get the sprouting seeds back. Do those brown cubes come already shaped as cubes? Or is it loose and you have to fill each cube and press it into shape yourself?

hope the H2O2 kill bad bacteria and boost the oxygen in the Tap Root..
Stop doing this until your plants have grown much taller and have been transplanted at least one time. Stop. You are over-watering already and then adding the H202 which is something that turns to water quickly and the tiny seedling has no need for the tiny bit of extra Oxygen. It is already able to get all it needs.

Let us know if those are cubes of some sort of grow medium.

And leave the lid off the tote box.

It sounds like you have picked up so many bits of information along the way and are now trying to use each one of them at the same time. Now you are overthinking every part of each method of getting seeds to sprout.

Everything in the photos and what you have mentioned makes me believe that you have been over-watering from the start.

I have a question and the answer will really help us get the sprouting seeds back. Do those brown cubes come already shaped as cubes? Or is it loose and you have to fill each cube and press it into shape yourself?

Stop doing this until your plants have grown much taller and have been transplanted at least one time. Stop. You are over-watering already and then adding the H202 which is something that turns to water quickly and the tiny seedling has no need for the tiny bit of extra Oxygen. It is already able to get all it needs.

Let us know if those are cubes of some sort of grow medium.

And leave the lid off the tote box.

The Cubes came pre pressed just let it soak in water and the Rest water drain away!

Do you see a chance that they will made it?

In the past I used a small percentage of hydrogen peroxide to sterilize everything but now believe the way to go is to add your bennies asap so when seeds crack at germination it’s on like donkey kong. The H202 kills off any naturally occurring beneficials in the seeds biome.

get them in there (microbes, mycos, azos, bokashi & mycellium) that is get the bennies in your germination water, add them to your rapid rooters and soil mix a week or 2 before you ever transplant or pop a bean. Gee64 and Keffka dropped nuggets about this- they roll their seeds in dry great white powder the day before germination, and of course they keep adding more at each transplant step along the way.

you want high humidity but not wet feet, you also want high air exchange. Also consider perhaps the lid is blocking / deflecting the useable light. They need dark to germ but light to pop.

stay calm and grow on!

They all dying i don't waist my time with them :( yeah huge mistake with that close lid normaly not a problem with it but i have only grow 1 seedling so the humidity was not so high know with 4 ore 5 Cubes it's to much and i hate myself doing this a loosing some great genetics really sad!

I start 4 new ones this time of course with open lid so the water can evaporated

IMG_20231005_225420.jpg

Those cubes are still way too wet. I would pull the cubes out of the plastic and let them rest on an old rag or a pile of paper towels. Aim for moist but not so wet that you could squeeze water out of it.

I thought they made of for seedlings??? Holing not enough oxygen???

They not made from coco husk?

I reduce the moisture with a paper towel I thought they hold enough oxygen too so can't overwater like coco?

IMG_20231006_102944.jpg

Not sure if you can really overwater them. Doesn't hurt to dry them a bit I guess.
Anyway, they're marketed as rapid rooters or root riot, quik rooters...
They're usually made from peat but there's probably some pods made from coco as well.
They come pretreated with rooting stim. When I used them I felt like the water in the tray was unneeded.

1696588175894.png

I tried the rapid rooters several years ago as part of experimenting with different ways to get cutting to develop roots and to see if any method was quicker or better. I did look up what they were made of. Depends on the brand or company. Some are made of peat moss and some are made of finely shredded tree bark. Then the material is mixed with a plant based glue and pressed into shape.

Open the plastic bag and the cubes will feel like a stiff sponge and sometimes they are still a bit damp. Soak them and let them drain. They should be damp and not dripping wet when ready for the seed. Place the seed and pinch the hole shut. Put the plugs in an out of the way spot where they can stay warm bu not hot.

Check twice a day for signs that the seed sprouted. Do not pick the tray up to admire your plugs, just take a look. Every time the tray is picked up there is a chance that it will flex and damage roots even if the sprout is not visible.

After the seed has germinated move them to the proper area where they will get light, warmth, etc. Most likely the plugs will not need to be watered for about 4 to 7 days unless the seed sprouts. Once the seed sprouts water when it is needed. Just because it sprouted does not mean it needs water. Read the package for the company recommended instructions and follow them.

Or the adventurous growers can skip following the instructions and do what they want.;).

As far as I can tell none of the rooting plugs are made with coco coir which makes sense. Coco just drains water fast which is why the experienced coco growers will say to water once a day after a growing plant is placed in a pot containing a coco mix.

Personally I just put the seed in a small container of damp soil. Then drip a few drops of water on top to settle the soil and put the container in an out-of-the-way spot so it cannot be disturbed. Cannabis seeds will have germinated in 2 to 4 days.

I thought they made of for seedlings??? Holing not enough oxygen???

They not made from coco husk?

I reduce the moisture with a paper towel I thought they hold enough oxygen too so can't overwater like coco?
Yes, they are made for sprouting seeds. Yes they will hold oxygen.

No, they are not made from coco coir. At least I have not found any brand that is. Coco drains water very fast. Mixing coco with some sort of glue and pressing it into a cube will not change that. It is very hard to over-water coco but it could be done with a lot of work.

As the excess water drains from the plug it will start to pull air in and that increases the oxygen levels.

But in coco it's hold normaly enough oxygen for seedlings
Coco/peat is great at capillary action - don't water/soak it, just let it stand in a little bit of water and it will draw up exactly the right amount of water from the bottom for seedlings, driving the tap root down
In small quantities coco/peat/plugs etc doesn't quite drain the same way as in a large pot, thus over watering becomes a possibility, which I think may be the problem here

I tried the rapid rooters several years ago as part of experimenting with different ways to get cutting to develop roots and to see if any method was quicker or better. I did look up what they were made of. Depends on the brand or company. Some are made of peat moss and some are made of finely shredded tree bark. Then the material is mixed with a plant based glue and pressed into shape.

Open the plastic bag and the cubes will feel like a stiff sponge and sometimes they are still a bit damp. Soak them and let them drain. They should be damp and not dripping wet when ready for the seed. Place the seed and pinch the hole shut. Put the plugs in an out of the way spot where they can stay warm bu not hot.

Check twice a day for signs that the seed sprouted. Do not pick the tray up to admire your plugs, just take a look. Every time the tray is picked up there is a chance that it will flex and damage roots even if the sprout is not visible.

After the seed has germinated move them to the proper area where they will get light, warmth, etc. Most likely the plugs will not need to be watered for about 4 to 7 days unless the seed sprouts. Once the seed sprouts water when it is needed. Just because it sprouted does not mean it needs water. Read the package for the company recommended instructions and follow them.

Or the adventurous growers can skip following the instructions and do what they want.;).

As far as I can tell none of the rooting plugs are made with coco coir which makes sense. Coco just drains water fast which is why the experienced coco growers will say to water once a day after a growing plant is placed in a pot containing a coco mix.

Personally I just put the seed in a small container of damp soil. Then drip a few drops of water on top to settle the soil and put the container in an out-of-the-way spot so it cannot be disturbed. Cannabis seeds will have germinated in 2 to 4 days.

Yes, they are made for sprouting seeds. Yes they will hold oxygen.

No, they are not made from coco coir. At least I have not found any brand that is. Coco drains water very fast. Mixing coco with some sort of glue and pressing it into a cube will not change that. It is very hard to over-water coco but it could be done with a lot of work.

As the excess water drains from the plug it will start to pull air in and that increases the oxygen levels.

The cultivation blocks come in a practical tray and are ready for use very quickly. The cubes simply need to be watered before use and are then ready to go. To do this, you can water the cubes generously or briefly soak them in water. Now let the remaining water drain from the cube block and the blocks are ready for the seed or cutting.

Even when pouring the cubes, you can't make any mistakes - thanks to the special manufacturing process, there is always an optimal ratio of water and air in the Eazy Plug - excess water simply runs off.

Buffer: PH 5.8 EC 0.8 +/-

That's what i mean they can't overwater company say.

Coco/peat is great at capillary action - don't water/soak it, just let it stand in a little bit of water and it will draw up exactly the right amount of water from the bottom for seedlings, driving the tap root down
In small quantities coco/peat/plugs etc doesn't quite drain the same way as in a large pot, thus over watering becomes a possibility, which I think may be the problem here

The problem was the lid on the tube box stupid move from me but it is what it is.. I am not a beginner growing lot of Herb but damn it...

Back
Top Bottom