Insulated duct help

Obi610

Hi.
All online I've seen that in order to drastically lower the volume of my fan I should use insulated ducting instead of regular.
I just purchased the master flow 6x25 insulated duct from Home Depot and I'm lost. The ducting is way thicker than I expected it to be and the pink fiberglass insulation seems to just be Gettingg everywhere. In the end I could only get the regular portion of the duct inside of my tent. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I by the wrong product? Am I better off just using regular ducting and hoping my fan won't be too loud? Not sure.
Note: I have a 3x3x6 tent with a 6 inch 440 cfm fan with a built in speed controller as well as a 6 inch filter. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Hi.
All online I've seen that in order to drastically lower the volume of my fan I should use insulated ducting instead of regular.
I just purchased the master flow 6x25 insulated duct from Home Depot and I'm lost. The ducting is way thicker than I expected it to be and the pink fiberglass insulation seems to just be Gettingg everywhere. In the end I could only get the regular portion of the duct inside of my tent. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I by the wrong product? Am I better off just using regular ducting and hoping my fan won't be too loud? Not sure.
Note: I have a 3x3x6 tent with a 6 inch 440 cfm fan with a built in speed controller as well as a 6 inch filter. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Does yours look like this
420-magazine-mobile2030843034.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1229307457.jpg

I mean I have an inline fan with ducting and 2 carbon filters running at all times, is it quiet? No. Is unbearable tho? Nah. And it's in my living room, i watch my tv at 25 when it's quiet, with the tent running I have to do between 40-50

I'm hoping the insulated ducting makes a big difference in my case. Idk how realistic my expectations are but if I had the exact setup as you, but with insulated ducting, I'd want to to still be able to watch my tv at 25( or lower)...maybe 30-35 tops and notice no difference.

I'm very curious to see how this works for you, I might have to try it myself. Although that dosent seem fun. I hate that pink insulation stuff.

Same here. I'm just hoping I have the right type. Mine doesn't look like JDub95's

Idk if it's just the pic but his does not look insulated. It still has the metal ridges that look like the normal ones

You're right. I was thinking he had some type of insulated duct that looked like the noninsulated.
I'm going to try to make it work though. Looking at other forums, my only option is to force it through and make sure none of the insulation sheds inside the tent

You're trying to put your carbon filter inside the tent, we get that. Why can't you just pass the non insulated portion of the duct through the opening in the tent, and screw it to your carbon filter using a small screw? Then tape the joint and suspend your carbon filter from the ceiling in your tent? Pull your insulation at that point tight up against the outside of your tent. Honestly though, I can't see insulated ducting helping that much. It's the vibration that usually causes the noise. Go for a super quiet fan ( like less than 1 sohn) and you lose the longevity that the can fans promise. What I do is I have a piece of plywood with a hole drilled in the bottom of it about 5" in diameter. The top side of my can fan is split do do both tents and My exhaust end of my can fan sits exhaust down on the plywood. The plywood is suspended from my ceiling with 4 equal Lengths of bungee style rubber cording.......boom, vibration gone......no more noise. We sleep right in the next room, it's on 24/7.

It's defiantly the air passing through the ducting that is causing the noise, not the vibration. That's why it sounds like a big woosh sound
Can you find a sweet spot with the variable speed control?

Back
Top Bottom