Is it to early to remove leaves?

DexterC

Hello growers.

Yesterday I've done LST to my girl but one or two leaves block a lot of light to the lower shoots and I am not sure if I should remove those leaves or it is too early to do it and I might cause problems. Have a look, tell me what you think?

20201004_140130.jpg

I am new enough to growing (6-7 yrs) my knowledge needs affirmation with on line searches at times. I have noticed there are 2 camps on this debate. The idea is to get light to the new shoots. That is a grand idea. I have done that indoors. I also know that leaf has surface area that plant is using to make food and energy for itself. Remove the leaf? I look at the surface area and see it does more for the plant as a whole than the bottom shoots can at this point. The plant knows the light/sun is there. The bigger leaf is receiving it. It will grow the new shoot to it. I am for leaving it until the foliage under it, can supplement what is being taken away.

Defol is just another tool in the gardeners bag of tricks. Not only are they solar panels but nute storage too. Your plant is small and only has a few nodes so the canopy is not that deep, either way you do it the plant will be fine.... but on that plant I would leave all the leaves in place. Now if that was a bushy monster with a 4 foot deep canopy I’d jump on the defol now campaign. If it were mine - I would not defol on that plant

Defol is just another tool in the gardeners bag of tricks. Not only are they solar panels but nute storage too. Your plant is small and only has a few nodes so the canopy is not that deep, either way you do it the plant will be fine.... but on that plant I would leave all the leaves in place. Now if that was a bushy monster with a 4 foot deep canopy I’d jump on the defol now campaign. If it were mine - I would not defol on that plant

nothing to add,, says it all,, :thumb: :thanks:

Plants need leaves for??

The answer to that question there ^^^ should be your guide to when you're gonna "defoil" or not.

Leaves perform many functions suggest we read up on what they are before we start hacking them off plants. And I'm very serious.

If you would like a list of their functions, ask.

I would remove the growth beneath the ones you want to cut off and bury most of the stem when you transplant.
That growth is garbage and will eventually need to be removed anyway in most cases......and don't cut the leaves you wanted to cut.
Just my opinion.

A few billion years of evolution/divine guidance has led us to this point, so why mess with the system? These plants wouldn’t have created buds if they didn’t want large hairless monkeys to come along and pick their leaves off to make everything work better, right? Just do it.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom