Is this a cal-mag deficiency or something else?

Ganner

hey guys i only just noticed this on 1 or 2 leaves yesterday. I'm in week 4 of flower and i'm growing in coco using canna coco A&B for nutrients but i have only just bought some cal-mag today. I wanna say this is the issue but i can't be 100% sure.

IMG_20211017_214342.jpg

hey guys i only just noticed this on 1 or 2 leaves yesterday. I'm in week 4 of flower and i'm growing in coco using canna coco A&B for nutrients but i have only just bought some cal-mag today. I wanna say this is the issue but i can't be 100% sure.

IMG_20211017_214342.jpg

My guess is that you are correct on that.
Are you using RO water?
Which cal mag did you buy?
I'm not a coco grower, and I'd wait for another grower to confirm.

I would recommend you lay off the Nitrogen a bit, that leaf is way too dark, and tips are curling down. (agree that it probably does also need the ca/mg)
canna coco a&b has nitrogen in as well as the calmag so if i start giving her calmag she'll be getting too much nitrogen but i need to use both A&B or else she doesn't get the right nutes.

Idk, maybe give a bit less of the a & b? Too much nitrogen causes all sorts of other problems so if you can nip that in the bud it would be helpful for your plant.

I don’t know those nutes….I’ve heard of them but are you sure the canna coco has cal-mag built in?
Reason I ask is most nutes are just NPK without the cal-mag…. check your labels

most cal-mags have N present at low level like 1-0-0 but if you search I think there is a 0-0-0 version

how often do you feed?
yeah it looks like it does have some cal and mag in the A&B already but maybe there isn't enough i don't know? it doesn't say what x-x-x it is. I feed once a day at the coco stays wet through the night and retains a lot of water. Some of the leaves are getting these brown rusty spots and i'm totally stumped.

it’s kinda an unwritten rule that you are supposed automatically know they need cal-mag but like many i didn’t get the memo when I first started. The older bottle nutes were just NPK without cal-mag, but now several of the new generations are all in one. If it’s not listed then it’s not in there.

most cal-mags will have some N like 2-0-0 plus the ca & mg….. the x-x-x is just the NPK

how often do you feed your chick??

it’s kinda an unwritten rule that you are supposed automatically know they need cal-mag but like many i didn’t get the memo when I first started. The older bottle nutes were just NPK without cal-mag, but now several of the new generations are all in one. If it’s not listed then it’s not in there.

most cal-mags will have some N like 2-0-0 plus the ca & mg….. the x-x-x is just the NPK

i feed her once a day with 7ml of Canna A and 7ml of Canna B in a 2 litre bottle, she gets 1 litre a day. the nutes say it has calmag in so i'm thinking she's locking out? check my most recent picture dude :)

just found that online too: Recommended mix ratio for Canna Coco A & B is 1:1 throughout a grow. Combined NPK is 5 : 4 : 3 (A: 4-0-1 & B: 0-4-2).

Ok cool….. it would help to see whole plant pics… suspect ca & mg def…. got a few holes in those leaves could be fan action, foliage rubbing, or even pests. Yup even if you don’t see pests - they will find a way to your garden…. Helps to study up on (IPM) Integrated Pest Management and have appropriate chemicals to combat critters. None of us want to spray anything on our precious veggies but most of the chems we use are derived from natural sources

I’m a soil guy but I’ve learned some coco stuff studying here on the faq pages… bottom line prolly not feeding enough. That doesn’t mean make your nute ratios stronger…. it means feed more often like 2 or 3 times per day in flower.

coco is not the same as soil, coco is totally inert… there is nothing in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed nutes. coco is drain to waste hydro, so hydro rules apply - meaning adjust ph to 5.8

most here feed every other day in seedling stage, then when plant gets bigger (6 to 8) nodes feed every day, when plant is really large they feed 2X per day, then in flower feed 3X per day….

not in seedling stage but when plant is larger it helps to feed until slight runoff (10% of volume should run off)…. this washes out some of the old nutes and delivers fresh nutes. Coco should not be allowed to dry out…

Do not give plain water….. plain water, plain ph adjusted water or plain ph adjusted cal-mag water does nothing for your plant. if you do flush with water then go right back to feeding low dose nutes. coco grown plants should be fed low dose (quarter strength) nutes at every feeding…..

don’t let her sit in runoff water, keep plant container slightly elevated above drip pan with air movement underneath

as a weed gardener it’s prudent to always keep a bottle of cal-mag handy, again I don’t know beans about Canna A&B but suspect cal-mag is droppping out of the mix.

For mixing your soup…. run water, add cal-mag first then stir & wait 15 minutes….add NPK stir & wait 15 minutes, check your ph, then adjust to 5.8 and feed your chicks. Adding cal-mag to your soup mix first helps prevent it from dropping out

This is about the extent of what I know regarding coco…. I’m going to ask @Bill284 to jump in….

Ok cool….. it would help to see whole plant pics… suspect ca & mg def…. got a few holes in those leaves could be fan action, foliage rubbing, or even pests. Yup even if you don’t see pests - they will find a way to your garden…. Helps to study up on (IPM) Integrated Pest Management and have appropriate chemicals to combat critters. None of us want to spray anything on our precious veggies but most of the chems we use are derived from natural sources

I’m a soil guy but I’ve learned some coco stuff studying here on the faq pages… bottom line prolly not feeding enough. That doesn’t mean make your nute ratios stronger…. it means feed more often like 2 or 3 times per day in flower.

coco is not the same as soil, coco is totally inert… there is nothing in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed nutes. coco is drain to waste hydro, so hydro rules apply - meaning adjust ph to 5.8

most here feed every other day in seedling stage, then when plant gets bigger (6 to 8) nodes feed every day, when plant is really large they feed 2X per day, then in flower feed 3X per day….

not in seedling stage but when plant is larger it helps to feed until slight runoff (10% of volume should run off)…. this washes out some of the old nutes and delivers fresh nutes. Coco should not be allowed to dry out…

Do not give plain water….. plain water, plain ph adjusted water or plain ph adjusted cal-mag water does nothing for your plant. if you do flush with water then go right back to feeding low dose nutes. coco grown plants should be fed low dose (quarter strength) nutes at every feeding…..

don’t let her sit in runoff water, keep plant container slightly elevated above drip pan with air movement underneath

as a weed gardener it’s prudent to always keep a bottle of cal-mag handy, again I don’t know beans about Canna A&B but suspect cal-mag is droppping out of the mix.

For mixing your soup…. run water, add cal-mag first then stir & wait 15 minutes….add NPK stir & wait 15 minutes, check your ph, then adjust to 5.8 and feed your chicks. Adding coco to your soup mix first helps prevent it from dropping out

This is about the extent of what I know regarding coco…. I’m going to ask @Bill284 to jump in….
Sorry had to run out with Elon to get some more RO. :rofl:
Hey @Ganner hope you are doing good today.
I’d follow @ 013 instructions re cal mag.
I’d also order a ppm meter and find out exactly what she is getting. Should be 600 to 900
Depending on age.
Also are you ph,ing to 5.8 exactly?
Critical in coco.
I’d also get some silicate and give them some once a week and see how they recover.
Stay safe.
Bill

Sorry had to run out with Elon to get some more RO. :rofl:
Hey @Ganner hope you are doing good today.
I’d follow @ 013 instructions re cal mag.
I’d also order a ppm meter and find out exactly what she is getting. Should be 600 to 900
Depending on age.
Also are you ph,ing to 5.8 exactly?
Critical in coco.
I’d also get some silicate and give them some once a week and see how they recover.
Stay safe.
Bill
hi bill i'm doing good today thank you, thank you all for helping me with this. I probably should get a ppm meter and this is my first grow so i'm not technical at all lol. she's a few months old and she's in week 4 of flower, can i upload a small video to show?
i don't know how to adjust my PH and for the past month when feeding she's been fine, it's only recently that i've seen this. i've mixed some calmag in with my A and B and she's now getting fed twice a day.

For mixing your soup…. run water, add cal-mag first then stir & wait 15 minutes….add NPK stir & wait 15 minutes, check your ph, then adjust to 5.8 and feed your chicks. Adding cal-mag to your soup mix first helps prevent it from dropping out

the holes in the leaves are from when she was outside for a little bit couple months back, pretty sure a bug got to them but she's been inside ever since. i'm sticking to the canna coco feed schedule with their recommended dosage so is that too little do you think? I always drain runoff immediately and she's never sitting in her own runoff and usually it's 20% i get.
when you say add NPK my nutes aren't like that, it's a 2-part solution not a 3 part feed. canna have said that all a plant could need is in those 2 nutes (A & B) so idk how it isn't getting cal/mag. the PH also seems fine for cal/mag uptake and i don't think it's lockout either :(

hi bill i'm doing good today thank you, thank you all for helping me with this. I probably should get a ppm meter and this is my first grow so i'm not technical at all lol. she's a few months old and she's in week 4 of flower, can i upload a small video to show?
i don't know how to adjust my PH and for the past month when feeding she's been fine, it's only recently that i've seen this. i've mixed some calmag in with my A and B and she's now getting fed twice a day.

I can’t stress how important ph is in coco.
You have been skating by but now she is in full flower and hungry AF. :Namaste:
It common at this point in a grow.
Get a ph meter$20 on zon.
But I’d get a blue planet pen.
And a bottle of ph up and down.
It’s easy to check and adjust.
We can help you do it first time.
Stay safe.
Bill

I can’t stress how important ph is in coco.
You have been skating by but now she is in full flower and hungry AF. :Namaste:
It common at this point in a grow.
Get a ph meter$20 on zon.
But I’d get a blue planet pen.
And a bottle of ph up and down.
It’s easy to check and adjust.
We can help you do it first time.
Stay safe.
Bill
by the seat of my pants thanks to the growing community lol i'm immensely grateful to you all.
i have a pH pen already and it's pretty accurate, i also have ph up and down but it's in a powder form i believe. My ph seems to be fine so i'm not sure what's wrong :(

Back
Top Bottom