Is this nute burn, overwatering or something?

Bimmer85

ok so up until today both my plants were looking incredible. One is significantly bigger then the other but they they both had healthy perky looking leaves. This morning after bringing them outside for there daily dose of sun I noticed the larger plant had a tiny yellow spot or two. The smaller plant had the fan leaves slightly drooping and the bottom 2 "seed" leaves were getting a little discolored. When I brought them inside for the night I decided to try to flush them to see what happens. The larger one seems to have improved greatly while the small on had some interesting results...the 2 very bottom "seed" leaves are not totally dead bright yellow but yellow enough that they worry me, the next set of 2 were severely drooping and kind of curling inward. But after the flushing they seem to have improved. The "seed" set is still yellow and the second set is still drooping but looking better and now a third set has began to sprout from the top which look excellent. Any opinions, ideas, ect?
sorry for blurry pics but you can see the bottom set of yellow leaves and drooping got worse since pic was taken... but after flush seems better. Especially the third set began to sprout
IMG_030813.JPG
IMG_036318.JPG

This is a pic from earlier today... check out the leave on the left with the small yellow spots. It got worse but seems to be improving now... sorry for ranting. Im just nervouse
IMG_035618.JPG

Re: Is this nute burn, overwatering or something???

The 2 bottom round "seed leaves" always naturally yellow, fall off and die. They do it quickly too, so thats totally normal.

Your pic of the big plant is kinda out of focus. But it looks like a couple sun spots. Its nothing to worry about if they are. They typically happen when your plant has a bit of water on the leaf and the sun in shining down on it. Which is one of the main reason most recommend not watering plants during the day.

One thing though. Make sure you are not over watering, your soil looks REALLY wet. The soil needs to dry out to like 10-20% were it is almost totally dry. Then you DRENCH it and then let it dry out well again. It is far better to let a plant go slightly too dry and slightly under watered then to be over watering.

Basically when it comes to waiting if you can stick your finger in the soil and feel any moisture you want to wait longer before watering.

thanks for the tips. I just took the plants outside and the leaves seem more perky and filled out but the smaller one seems to have taken on a slight browinsh hue... Since I watered yesterday then I assume I should just wait it out?

Well I got some plants in a pot that is basically identical sized as yours. Mine are more developed too, so they drink more water and I only water them once every 4 days or 5 days.

At the size of your big one you could feed it a small bit of B-1 and or superthrive. Possibly the TINIEST amount of nitrogen ferts. But you really gotta go light your plant is still very small.

The smaller fresh sprout should only be getting water for now imo.

Sorry for cutting in here. Jimmy when you say drench them how much are we talking?

Smoke an toke :)

from what ive seen around its something like 3x the amount to soil. like this.... 5gal pot of soil flush with 15gal of water 3 gal pot flush with 9 gal of water and so on.

Well an amount is not a good thing to go by. Because the age of plants, their root systems, and the environment all factor in.

The best way to judge is to let water flow until it comes out the bottom of the pot. Just make sure it came out the bottom because it went all through the soil and didnt sort of leak down the sides inbetween the soil and the pot, as soil tends to start to compact and form a bit more solid once roots get more established and then it kind of stops being right up against the sides of the container.

But when done properly letting the soil go near complete dryness, then flooding it hard and doing that over and over is how you get massive root systems. Massive root systems are the basis of strong big plants and it will encourage fast growth watering in this manor.

however the amount Kenny said would always be way way off. If you do that you are completely washing out all nutrients from your soil.

To give rough estimates in my plants that are in 5 gallon pots they can take anywhere from 3/4 of a gallon of water up to maybe 2 gallons of water. Mostly depending on the size of the plants roots and the environment. Once you see water come out the bottom drain holes you stop watering (as long as it didnt just cascade down the sides like I talked about before).

cheers guys so i havnt been watering enough at all :oops: ive been giving dem 1 litre every 2-3 days which is under 1/4 gallon and my pots are 8 litre pot which is just under 2 gallon pots my babies are only 2.5 weeks old and roughly 4 inches high.

yeah your right there jimmy my soil gets very compacted when i put the water on so im trying to think of a system that disperses just a lil bit every so often.

smoke an toke:lot-o-toke:

:thanks:

cheers guys so i havnt been watering enough at all :oops: ive been giving dem 1 litre every 2-3 days which is under 1/4 gallon and my pots are 8 litre pot which is just under 2 gallon pots my babies are only 2.5 weeks old and roughly 4 inches high.

yeah your right there jimmy my soil gets very compacted when i put the water on so im trying to think of a system that disperses just a lil bit every so often.

smoke an toke:lot-o-toke:

:thanks:

A little bit every so often is inferior compared to a drench then letting it completely dry out.

What you want to do is water till it comes out the bottom of your pots. Then dont water it again until the soil is nice and dry at least a few inches down.

Basically the idea is you let your roots dry out, to the point where your plant is getting super hungry. Not quite starving but super super hungry. Then right before it gets starving (right before the roots are just totally dried out into dust) Then you DRENCH it and it will guzzle the water up.

Doing this makes huge root systems fast. It also prevents problems like root rot and fungus gnats.

sorry i must have not understood you. i thought he was asking about flushing and thats were i got the numbers from. thats why i used the term FLUSH. sorry again for missleading you

Back
Top Bottom