Jack Herer & Northern Lights In Canna Terra Pro Plus: 4x4 Indoor LED Grow

No. The most notable was about 2/3 up on the outside of the canopy. That’s why I thought it was resin.

Massive defoliation today. I think I found powdery mildew on every plant to some degree or another. I'm pretty sure I've had this before. Some spots were worse than others. I cut those out. Once you trim out the leaves in the larger buds you expose the leaves underneath which were peppered to varying degrees. The stuff that has progressed is obvious. It's a bit like shining a black light onto a surface. The mildew sort of glows and sits on top of the resin or leaf surface. I'm much chiller about this now. I also foliar sprayed the one plant with 1 part 5% apple vinegar to 9 parts 7 PH water and a squirt of hand soap. I'll see if I can still see the PM. I also sprayed a bud from another plant to see how it reacts. Hopefully, it will look the same.

I bud wash, which means each bud and leaf is going to be soaked in a watered down solution of hydrogen peroxide, which will kill anything nasty. It's then dunked in a solution of lemon juice and baking soda, which scrubs it, and then two further dunks in water, which will wash off anything that has become loose. My first grow I did the whole thing with most of the buds. I left some out to compare. It was obviously better with them washed. My second grow I left out the first step, because there was no evidence of mold. So this one I'll do the 4 buckets. It should be fine.

I think I would have avoided this by giving them a massive trim about a month ago. I'm guessing that my canopy was just too dense. There is an argument for not doing that, which I mostly agreed with. The problem is not being able to see problems, and I look at my plants closely most days. I also let the pots completely dry and then I soak them. This raises the humidity in the tent for a couple of days, which is fine in veg but not good in flower. I think this all really stood out when I started to flushed.

Do you have any other pics of it where it was fairly light on it's covering? Hope all that works! My humidity has spiked up in readings a bit overnight when it's cold and moist outside. Normally it's around 55% but it's spiked up to 70% on the readings one and now I'm terrified of this.

In the last weeks have you had any water condensation buildup on any of the leaves at all? I have 3 fans but am thinking about adding a 4th now after this.

Sorry I don't. The powder is either white or grey. I understand why you are freaking out. My tent spiked to seventy a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that was around when it started. These are air borne microbes, so of course they are all over my plants. For some reason the Northern Light is unaffected.

Just looked at your grow. Are you in the UK? Not flowering yet, so humidity shouldn't be an issue. You actually want it for a seedling. You can foliar spray as a prevention for powdery mildew. Do you have a spray bottle with a mister? There are a couple of suggestions that I googled. Most are prevention. As I mentioned above I sprayed with vinegar, because I am so close to harvest. I couldn't find anything about how it effects the buds, so I took a chance. Acidity kills the spores. You should stop freaking and act. The prevention suggestions are very doable.

As far as water build up you will always get that. It happens when leaves are close together. It's condensation. Good ventilation and air moving the leaves is the other thing. When you are into flowering is when the humidity becomes dangerous. Defoliating will drop the humidity. Mine went from 50 to 40 today. I'm afraid of mold basically because I don't know what I'm looking for and it can ruin the whole grow. If you get to the end of your grow and your not sure if you've got mold or mildew, wash the bud.

Bud Washing

Looking much better today. I saw a couple more spots which I sprayed. Not sure if I missed them or they popped up. This afternoon I didn’t see anything. Apple vinegar. Who knew?

Gave them a bit of water. No more soaking the pots. Everybody looks happy. The JH are partly clear and cloudy. The NL is mostly cloudy.

You still have me stressed out to prevent this, haha. Just ordered a dehumidifier for the grow to be extra careful to not run into this. Great news it's looking better!!

Thanks. I'm much less stressed. I think I over reacted a bit in how much I defoliated, but some people do that as a matter of course and their plants look awesome.

Oh I missed the UK question, no I'm in california. The temp/hygrog is under the canopy on top of the res in some of the shade of the canopy. I set it up on the edge of the scrog frame tonight so I'll see what it's looking like tomorrow. I think during the dark it gets more humid. My grow switched to 12/12 something like six days ago so buds should start showing up hopefully soon.

The dehumidifier I got should help keep things better I guess too. According to the weatherchannel website it's 59% humidity outside right now in general, so I guess it makes sense where I'd be inside. The dehumidifer has a control to set the % you want it to maintain so hopefully that'll preemptively prevent any problems later on as flowering continues!

Make sure you tape over any led lights on the machine or you’ll screw up your dark phase. Same with extension cord sockets etc.

I don’t think you’ll have a problem, but if it were me I’d spray before the flowers develop. I’m really impressed with the apple vinegar. I’m wondering if the origin is the outside of my cloth pots. I gave them a spray today.

Yeah for sure on killing the lights. It'll be out of the tent in the room though, but everything there is blacked out too. I don't have a lot of room for much else in the tent, but the air is moving quick in and out of there so I don't think it would really even need to be inside it to matter much.

Luckily I'm in DWC which cuts down on the whole soil/pots/bugs stuff. Soil seemed like it had a lot more of the hard to fix issues.

Apple cider vinegar looks a little scary, how much did you dilute it? Did that do anything to the ph?
How to Fertilize Plants with Apple Cider Vinegar

You buy it in 5% bottles and dilute that 9 parts water to 1 part vinegar. It is acidic, which is the whole point. The mildew can't exist on an acidic surface.

I chose soil, because it seemed the easiest way to grow :)

Thanks. It will be fine. I was looking forward to watching the flowers leach everything out of the leaves, but I cut them off in an effort to get to grips with the mildew. I cut out about 20% off one of the plants. I probably over reacted, but I was freaked out :) I think I'll chop them over the weekend. I still can't see any amber, but they are all clouding up. The mildew is pretty much gone (visibly). I'll wash them in H202, so that's not going to be a problem health wise. The Northern Light is ferocious !! It started off life all twisted up and slow growing, but the last couple of weeks its gone nuts. It's small, but I think it will weigh out close to the others. It's too nasty for the mildew to effect it. I think its the furthest along. I've grown it twice now. Its been the most bomb proof.

Chopped and bud washed this evening. I used 4 buckets. The first with H202. The whole thing took about 2 1/2 hours. Over the next few days I will cut it more finely until every branch is hanging freely. I think I'll end up hanging from the top of the tent as well as the clothes rack.

Canna Terra Pro Plus is really amazing for root development. The medium compacts during the grow at least 25%, so you need to add more. It compacts, because the root mass squeezes it. This is part of the roots. Pulling the soil apart took some doing.

RH was 48 this morning. It's been in the high 60s for the first few days. One day it dropped to the low 60s, but went back up. I'm petrified of mold. I mostly kept the tent closed and blew a medium sized fan against the bottom of one side. It doesn't move the hanging branches, but with the extractor and induction fans it is moving lots of air. The past few days the smell has turned to hay. They look kind of thin, but you wouldn't know that from the pic. I hung the larger branches from the top of the tent the day after I chopped them. I'm glad I did given the RH.

Thanks. I cut off a couple of airy pop corn buds, because they looked dry and I wanted to sample JH. They weren’t dry, but the smell really comes out after a couple of hours in a jar. I’m guessing another week for drying. The RH is sitting around 50. I turned off the extra fan.

23-1-19

Started jarring the smaller branches. 1 jar.

25-1-19 through 27-1-19

Jarred the balance. Next time I'm going to put all of the buds in a couple of large plastic tubs and cure that way for a week or so. I considered it, but decided against.

29-1-19

Weight after hand drying and a few days of burping. Average 4.5 oz per Jack Herer and a bit more for the Northern Light (which was the smallest).

Buds:

Northern Lights – 140g (4.9oz)

Jack Herer – 382g (13.5oz)

Total – 522g (18.4oz, 1lb 2.4oz)

Leaf/Shake – 43g (1.5oz)

I'll weigh everything out in a week or so to double check and to see how the curing is progressing. Anyone know what the difference is between fully cured and just dried usually is?

I haven't sample the Northern LIght yet.

Aesthetically, the JH buds were disappointing. They seem kind of airy and very leafy. I found one immature seed in the batch. I saw plenty of empty undeveloped pods on some of the nodes as I was jarring. I don't know what that means. I really don't know if they were seed pods. I sampled one bud. It was very strong. Stronger than the weed I've grown previously.

Back
Top Bottom