Just Another Poor Man's Auto CFL Grow - 2X Nirvana Short Rider & Jock Horror

Droidguy1990

420 Member
Here is my new project with a little better insight..

I went out and basically purchased 4 Lamps, 8 CFL 100 watt bulbs, and Fox Farms Ocean Forest with a bag of perlite and that was it. This will be more of an experiment than anything else, as these CFL's start lacking I will be making adjustments on the fly but the point is to try to see how far a CFL can get me with a auto-flower.

I have 4 plants, all from Nirvana's seedbank.

2 Short Riders and 2 Jock Horror. There in small cups and were planted directly from seed to soil on 8/24 and have been under constant 24/7 light since being put in the ground. daily watering with PH balanced water every 2 days.

Short Rider #1 AND #2
rsz_img_20150828_161445_1_.jpg

rsz_img_20150828_161515_1_.jpg

Jock Horror #1 AND #2
rsz_img_20150828_161527_1_.jpg

rsz_img_20150828_161453_1_.jpg

re: Just Another Poor Man's Auto CFL Grow - 2X Nirvana Short Rider & Jock Horror

Hey I'm on for the ride. :surf:
I used CFLs for my first grow on photo period plants like to see how they manage on autos.
whats the lumens and K of the CFls you are using?
:Namaste:

From the 8 CFL's I have now the output lumen wise is about 12,800, running 2700k soft white. I started with 1 short rider outside as my first grow and kinda regreted it because where I am located it only got about 8 hours of direct sunlight a day.

My only real contemplation I was really debating with myself is the small cups I have them growing in, I really wish I planted in my 5 gallon pots but I was just testing out the fox farms first I heard sometimes it could be too hot for auto's but so far the plants really love the soil. My last grow I can see how I stunted them by using a cheap crappy soil medium. Right now there in a 60/40 mix of FF Ocean Forest and Perlite.

re: Just Another Poor Man's Auto CFL Grow - 2X Nirvana Short Rider & Jock Horror

Thanks. I'm excited simply at the difference good soil compared to lowes brand soil makes. I can see the short riders are no joke both popped and have set of leaves opened the JH a tad behind.

From the 8 CFL's I have now the output lumen wise is about 12,800, running 2700k soft white. I started with 1 short rider outside as my first grow and kinda regreted it because where I am located it only got about 8 hours of direct sunlight a day.

My only real contemplation I was really debating with myself is the small cups I have them growing in, I really wish I planted in my 5 gallon pots but I was just testing out the fox farms first I heard sometimes it could be too hot for auto's but so far the plants really love the soil. My last grow I can see how I stunted them by using a cheap crappy soil medium. Right now there in a 60/40 mix of FF Ocean Forest and Perlite.

Any way you could get a hold of some 23 watt 6500K Cfls from lowes? they are daylight bulbs so full spectrum. I think they come in a 3 pack for $11.00

was thinking of adding about 4-6 more CFL's. Do you think it's a good idea.? I will add the 6500k along with the 2700k I have will bring room to well over 17,000 lumens

So I was only able to find a 2 pack of the 6500k scale CFL's but I added them in yesterday. It looks like one of my Jock Horror's got its seed shell stuck preventing it from properly opening. This picture was before I opened it manually with tweezers. I figured if it dies I did everything I could to save it. It now has its first set of leaves open they were growing while in the shell was stuck to them.

I am seeing growth in the others I transplanted them to there final 5 gallon pots and I saw some incredibly root development but just really not much going on above ground. Seems to be going slower than it should. Does the room need more light? The Short Riders are definitely growing faster and more vigorously than the Jock Horror. I want to blame it on the Strain being more Sativa but there all auto's.

Any advice is welcomed.
Short Rider
rsz_20150903_064048.jpg

Jock Horror
rsz_20150903_064005.jpg

Short Rider #2
rsz_20150903_064039.jpg

Jock Horror PROBLEM
20150903_064019.jpg

These Pictures are about 3 days old. They have grown more since then will update again later.

So I was only able to find a 2 pack of the 6500k scale CFL's but I added them in yesterday. It looks like one of my Jock Horror's got its seed shell stuck preventing it from properly opening. This picture was before I opened it manually with tweezers. I figured if it dies I did everything I could to save it. It now has its first set of leaves open they were growing while in the shell was stuck to them.

I am seeing growth in the others I transplanted them to there final 5 gallon pots and I saw some incredibly root development but just really not much going on above ground. Seems to be going slower than it should. Does the room need more light? The Short Riders are definitely growing faster and more vigorously than the Jock Horror. I want to blame it on the Strain being more Sativa but there all auto's.

Any advice is welcomed.
Short Rider
rsz_20150903_064048.jpg

Jock Horror
rsz_20150903_064005.jpg

Short Rider #2
rsz_20150903_064039.jpg

Jock Horror PROBLEM
20150903_064019.jpg

These Pictures are about 3 days old. They have grown more since then will update again later.
Some strains grow different from another and even some seeds of the same strain will grow a little different or at a different pace I don't see a problem yet.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Update! Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Been incredibly busy lately. Girls are all doing well, 3 of them are starting to flower now and the stunted Jock Horror is just showing preflowers.

Sorry about the pictures didn't take them when they were separated. Take a look

Stunted Jock Horror
IMG_0016230.JPG

Jock Horror, This one's top got burnt by my 150 watt CFL but has been recovering well
IMG_0017233.JPG

Short Rider Growing great
IMG_0021200.JPG

Short Rider #2
IMG_0021200.JPG

Also My tallest is now 2ft 6 inches, my shortest is well 7 inches. These were planted on 8/24 so figure 6 week and 4 days old. What do yo guys think? I added about 6 more 6500k CFLs as suggested. How are they looking?

My Shortest that I decided to LST with some tape. I figured I had nothing to lose as it seemed severly stunted by the seed getting stuck on it.
File_003.jpeg

My Jock Horror Doing Good but craving more light
File_002.jpeg
[/B]

My Best and Tallest Short Rider
File_001.jpeg

Short Rider #2
File_000.jpeg

I am really considering dumping the CFLs all together and throwing up a 1000 watt HPS. They have done great with the CFLs but now they are really starting to stretch.

was thinking of adding about 4-6 more CFL's. Do you think it's a good idea.? I will add the 6500k along with the 2700k I have will bring room to well over 17,000 lumens

BTW The mixing of the 2700k with the 6500k really did show a noticeable difference in the seedling stage. My current set up is (4) 150 Watts at 2700k, 6 2700k and 6 6500k.

thanks for the info.

Update. 68 days from seed. Week 3 of flower.

Short rider #1
20151101_073709.jpg

Short rider #2
20151101_073716.jpg

JOCK horror with burnt main cola looking like it grew 2 additional heads
20151101_073724.jpg
20151101_073731.jpg

My experimental jock horror that was stunted and LST
20151101_073743.jpg
20151101_073738.jpg

Back
Top Bottom