Just learning, need advice or opinions please

mississippi

I currently have a greenish substance on my root system in my Ebb and Flow. I have researched it and think it is root rot. I found that I was probably over watering(8 15 minute cycles in 24hr.). I cut it back to 4 cycles in 24hr.
I am showing shade leaves that are turning yellow and falling off in the veg. stage. I have done a full flush and added hydrogen peroxide as advised. Is there anything else I can do to rid the roots of the green algee?

What is best for cleaning the ebb and flo? I am told no vinager which I have used lightly in tank and flushed through pump.

Thanks for any help

Mississippi Sally

Pictures would help tremendously. And would get you some more experienced 'Hydro' growers to help you out. But from the limited information you gave it sounds like it could be 'Green Algae'. I do not grow hydro but some info that might help others to answer...
What is the PH of your resevoire?
Are you using any products like Algen Extract?
Any light leaks on your roots?

A picture can paint a thousand words & would really be good for diagonisis :thumb:

Direct light on water/nutrient enriched water will eventually form green algae you may wish to make a DIY cover for the ebb & flood table, with the only thing i can think of is that you got roots crawling out of the bottom of your pots etc which remain damp or sitting in puddles of nutrient enriched water for the problem to occur !

Root rot is normally a brownish slime type thing often assoicated with bad water temps & poor oxygen content of reserva.

Green algae usually isn't a problem. I grew a tomato plant in hydro outside years ago as an experiment.
The res developed green algae all over the inside and actually on the roots near the end of the season.
That was the best producing and tasting tomato plant I ever grew. It was a monster.
Like the Duck said simply blocking the light will stop it.

Back
Top Bottom