Keeping a mother for clones vs. subsequent cloning?

CannabisMeds

Is keeping a dedicated mother for clones somehow better than cloning and then later taking more clones from the clones as they grow up?

An advantage to not keeping a dedicated mother would be that I could flower two more plants legally. But is there a degradation or something if you simply take clones from clones later on?

I met a grower recently and he was going on about how much better it is to keep a dedicated mother.

Any thoughts on this?

I have always cloned from clones from clones from clones. My "mother" turns into a great grandmother by the time she dies. Sometimes she only makes it to see herself be a grandmother.

My reason however, is space. Keeping mothers requires dedicated space. If you have it great, but if you don't, I'm about to enjoy a sixth generation grow on 3 different strains. Each of course is unique but you'll hear that from those who keep mother plants too.

I have had people tell me they've been able to clone for years w/o noticing degradation. I figure if it happens in my grow, let it end and sprout a new seed.

Of course, you'll hear equal arguments for/against. I'm not really offering either. Just insight into why I don't keep mothers.

i had a mother plant but didnt have the space guess im gonna try it without it.have 8 nice clones and im gonna save one and flower the others then grow the one clone on a cfl till i need more clones.mother plants let you produce alot of clones.

I got a dedicated mother which a clone
sooner or later im gonna let her flower out and use a clone from her as a new mother
buckshot just keeps cloning off his clones and keeps going like that

In my experience there is no benefit the only difference is the age. I've seen good arguments of plants that are a few years old losing their will to be productive but most people don't even need to worry about that. People often forget a clone from a branch of a 1yr old plant if its been there the whole time is a one year old clone. I've found them to be heartier and I can force them grow Bette because I can feed it hotter nutes quicker and give it more abuse without causing stress. I take alot of clones and have a good amount of experience at it and have done it both ways and that seems to be the main difference. Cuttings from a younger fresh plant will be younger and more delicate per say. That does not mean they won't grow as good they will. Also with a dedicated mom I can use it strictly for clones so I don't have to worry about stripping it down to far or any thing else like because it will never do anything but get cut..until I'm done with it but that is a different story. If you have any other questions on this I can probably help you out just ask.. Good luck mate

I have a strain that has been a clone of a clone of a clone for 4 yrs now.

I take indoor cuttings for outdoor and outdoor cuttings and run em indoors. I like the results :)

I've read that cloning from clones leads to genetic drift but 15 to 20 generations have been done to no detrimental effect. Cloning from the mother ensures that genetics stay closer to the original, most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom