Landrace Genetics 101

Also while a lot of people like to trash talk land race strains, especially in the avalanche of Amsterdam and NorCal crosses and re-crosses out there now that sell the most, my Lebby strain runs this year have been a HUGE success so far (and I have 3 more plants to harvest!). The results averts or nullifies my need and earlier attempts to grow hemp strains to cross with high THC strains in hopes of achieving what I have with these Lebby grows. At least the sativa pheno female, but the male sativa pheno flowers and the early tops from the indica blooms seem to be similar in effect. For both pain relief and for muscle and joint pain. As well as a high. I only set out for a strain for pain relief that does not put me into couch lock like so many indicas do, but this has the added bonus of working in migraines. Which is a fucking miracle. This strain is far better than any CBD/THC strains that I have bought here in Oregon, as well as my earlier attempts at making crosses myself.

As the saying goes, why re-invent the wheel?

On the flip side my Durban Poison land race run this year was rather disappointing, as the females were all runts and bloomed in June. So we yanked them. They dried fine and we got about an oz out of them, and they are the real deal. Zippy wake n' bake Durban sativa. And... I did get a good viable Durban male and he is blooming now. Pollen will be going into the deep freeze and I will be pollinating 2 gals that were sold as Durban Poison cuts here (but they smell nothing like real Durban). The male absolutely reeks of Durban. So I guess I will be re-Durbanising a sanitized local cut of Durban.

Also while a lot of people like to trash talk land race strains, especially in the avalanche of Amsterdam and NorCal crosses and re-crosses out there now that sell the most, my Lebby strain runs this year have been a HUGE success so far (and I have 3 more plants to harvest!). The results averts or nullifies my need and earlier attempts to grow hemp strains to cross with high THC strains in hopes of achieving what I have with these Lebby grows. At least the sativa pheno female, but the male sativa pheno flowers and the early tops from the indica blooms seem to be similar in effect. For both pain relief and for muscle and joint pain. As well as a high. I only set out for a strain for pain relief that does not put me into couch lock like so many indicas do, but this has the added bonus of working in migraines. Which is a fucking miracle. This strain is far better than any CBD/THC strains that I have bought here in Oregon, as well as my earlier attempts at making crosses myself.

As the saying goes, why re-invent the wheel?

Congratulations on finding a strain which fits your medical needs - what a win!

Lebs have proven CBD content, which is another reason that I gave them a try.

Lebs have proven CBD content, which is another reason that I gave them a try.

Indeed. In the book, Marijuana Potency, Michael Starks lists a huge array of land race strains and their tested THC and CBD content. He also lists comparisons of male and female potency. He lists Lebanese hash as having a 1 to 1 percentage of CBD to THC, and Lebanese flowers from another sample as having 2 to 1 CBD to THC.

I think that RSC ships to Canada.

Indeed. In the book, Marijuana Potency, Michael Starks lists a huge array of land race strains and their tested THC and CBD content. He also lists comparisons of male and female potency. He lists Lebanese hash as having a 1 to 1 percentage of CBD to THC, and Lebanese flowers from another sample as having 2 to 1 CBD to THC.

Did the author draw any conclusions from this? Specifically, did he feel that the two samples might have been produced from two different strains of cannabis, or that they might have both came from the same variety and that it's just inconsistent in its various cannabinoid ratios?

Loved the thread. Though I am unable to grow due to restrictions in my country(India), I am really fond of landrace strains. I just collect bag seeds for now lol. There is something mystical about strains which have been growing and evolving with the surrounding conditions and not just bread for max potency. Will be following the thread closely :)

Loved the thread. Though I am unable to grow due to restrictions in my country(India), I am really fond of landrace strains. I just collect bag seeds for now lol. There is something mystical about strains which have been growing and evolving with the surrounding conditions and not just bread for max potency. Will be following the thread closely :)

Do the Nihung Sikhs in Northern India still get away with growing? 10-15 years ago, they seemed to be growing and drinking Bhang with relative freedom. The holy men in Varanasi also seemed well supplied.

Well conradino23 I agree with you. The '72 Colombian Gold is a spiritual strain. Cerebral would be another way of putting it. This has a bit of that church incense taste, always a good sign. Euphoria but not the silly, giddy out of control kind, the understated feeling of being in tune with things.

Just one toke and a small one from a bud I picked off the 12 week flowering CG. Was worried about getting a panic feeling and limited my smoke. The CG has a reputation for nervousness and this is early to pick a bud, plus the '79 CG I had gave me a nervous high which I did not really like.

Not worried now, this was calm and not mentally all over the place. Spiritual or centered is what I would call the high. All in the head but not racy or very energetic. Really nice. Great to go back in time and get something better than the original, does not happen much. hehe

Strange that by '79 the Colombian quality was already shit, as that is an eternity ago now, but that is the fact. High quality Colombian came to the US in the sixties and into the early seventies. By the mid seventies it was the preferred smoke over Mexican and as soon as that happened the quality declined year by year. Increasing sale of Colombian cocaine also helped make the pot scene less important and contributed to the decline.

Mid seventies onward the Colombian was more mid grade and coke became the desired high, Thai or Hawaiian was then the smoke of choice. By '79 California grown buds were the scene and I bought into that, not knowing how good the early Colombian really was. I started mid seventies as Mexican and then Colombian fell off in quality.

That Colombian Gold back in 1979 had a bunch of white small seeds in it. It was picked early. Crap buzz resulted. I think it was also mixed with indica by then and lowered the quality there as well. High grade Colombian was more a memory than a reality by late 70's.

I have my lights set to 9 hours 15 minutes on / 14 hours 45 minutes off. That helps quicken the flowering it seems. This is listed as a 18 week strain. I am using 10,000 K fluorescent light and put a lizard uvb cfl in the tent for a couple days to see if the uvb helped ripen or enhance the effects.

Will let the plant go another week or two. Not sure when to harvest this stuff but there are quite a few white pistils still. Very few amber trichs and fair amount of clear trichs so let it go a bit more. Really happy with the high as the stuff in 1979 left a lot to be desired.

I love this strain, it's a pity that I have very little of it though. Mine went 15 weeks, but I'm afraid I ran it slightly too long, you really shouldn't get these trichs amber and they mature in a different way than hybrids. It's not very potent, but good enough for me. High is exactly as you described, very spritual and cerebral with happy feeling that lets your mind slide from one thing to another, but it's not speedy like the African sativas. Lasts in total around 3 hrs, but peaks probably after an hr or even less. No wearing off on comedown at all. Makes a big difference to me when I smoke it from bong, it hits much stronger and leaves you high as a kite. I think it makes for great social smoke and is as good as any elite sativa-dominant hybrd except the taste which is less refined, but I can leave with that :smokin:

Man, you are taking me back to the early 1970s with that description! First Colombian gold score I made we listened to Steve Winwood all night on the stereo hi fi.

Michoacan-_Colombian_Gold.JPG

Guerrero x Michoacan from Snowhigh on the left and CG on the right. Do not make me pick one over the other! hehe Gonna try to reveg both.

I think the CG has decent potency, you may want to go thru more phenos conradino, some are more leafy for sure. This one has more calyxes, same with the Michoacan.

It seems when you inbreed and cross these strains, you get a better plant and more thc. But..... losing the special feelings they offer.

Damn, I sure am having all the luck with my grow this time. 2 keeper plants and the Ethiopian Highland aint bad either. I will not run it again soon as the CG beats it out for spiritual high.

Not sure which way the Guerrero x Michoacan leans, but as guessing to the Michoacan side. I had smoke very similar in '75. No long green spears, so guessing that means Michoacan. BigSur you have any opinion there?

I have them outdoor and still waiting for bloom to kick in :) They all look similar except one which rides low, but you might be right about finding even better pheno there. They should survive the rainy season and they may come home late, but so far this strain gave me no problems at all!

Back
Top Bottom