OG Kush: The Original Genetics

Fastarkid

420 Member
When it comes to the original OK Kush, most (not all) seem to agree that Matt “Bubba” Berger started it in Florida and then Josh D joined Matt in the effort that brought us the original OG Kush in the early 1990’s. Josh D did some of his work on this strain in California. It seems the growing environment was instrumental in the expression of the original OG Kush and so it may be nearly impossible to retrace and recreate the original environment.

Most also agree that the parents/grandparents of the OG Kush strain include some Hindu Kush.
But that’s about the extent of the agreements.

So this thread is for those of us that would like to share their beliefs about the true “parents” and great grandparents of the original OG Kush strain of the early 90’s.

In other word, if you ignored the environment and focused solely on genetics, which landrace strains would you have to breed in order to “attempt” a re-enactment (re-creation) to as closely as possible replicate or closely mimic that original OG Kush that Bubba and Josh created in the early 1990’s.

If it’s true that Northern Lights was one of the parents then we know at least three of the landrace strains;
A) Afghanii
B) Thai
C) Hindu Kush
D) ??
E). ??

But what are the others parents of that highly sought after original OG Kush...will we ever know...

When it comes to the original OK Kush, most (not all) seem to agree that Matt “Bubba” Berger started it in Florida and then Josh D joined Matt in the effort that brought us the original OG Kush in the early 1990’s. Josh D did some of his work on this strain in California. It seems the growing environment was instrumental in the expression of the original OG Kush and so it may be nearly impossible to retrace and recreate the original environment.

Most also agree that the parents/grandparents of the OG Kush strain include some Hindu Kush.
But that’s about the extent of the agreements.

So this thread is for those of us that would like to share their beliefs about the true “parents” and great grandparents of the original OG Kush strain of the early 90’s.

In other word, if you ignored the environment and focused solely on genetics, which landrace strains would you have to breed in order to “attempt” a re-enactment (re-creation) to as closely as possible replicate or closely mimic that original OG Kush that Bubba and Josh created in the early 1990’s.

If it’s true that Northern Lights was one of the parents then we know at least three of the landrace strains;
A) Afghanii
B) Thai
C) Hindu Kush
D) ??
E). ??

But what are the others parents of that highly sought after original OG Kush...will we ever know...
From the Josh D story, I believe I remember them saying something like one of the parents was Kryptonite aka Supernaught from Florida from someone named Matt Berger who I guess also used to breed a lot of Northern Lights.

Can you get Josh D or Matt Berger “Bubba” to chime in?
My original post started on November 8th. Today is December 13. I’ve spent many months trying to get to the bottom of it and still not sure. I see some seeds out there labeled “OG Kush” but none of the seed descriptions convince me that they’re selling the pre-1998 OG Kush.

My research makes me think there’s a good probability that the dominant ancestor is a Hindu Kush from the Pakistan side of that mountain range and probably Chitral. It’s even possible that the pre-1998 OG Kush is not a hybrid at all and might instead be 100% Chitral Landrace but a rare freakish phenotype of pure Chitral (100% Indica)...and the genetics of one of the oldest Indica strains. In other words when you grow Chitrali outside of Chitrali and in that specific environment in Orlando Florida, that phenotype emerges. And so Josh and Bubba cloned that freakish phenotype that it could not be reproduced by seed. In other words, the pre-1998 OG Kush is unObtanium.

Can you get Josh D or Matt Berger “Bubba” to chime in?
My original post started on November 8th. Today is December 13. I’ve spent many months trying to get to the bottom of it and still not sure. I see some seeds out there labeled “OG Kush” but none of the seed descriptions convince me that they’re selling the pre-1998 OG Kush.

My research makes me think there’s a good probability that the dominant ancestor is a Hindu Kush from the Pakistan side of that mountain range and probably Chitral. It’s even possible that the pre-1998 OG Kush is not a hybrid at all and might instead be 100% Chitral Landrace but a rare freakish phenotype of pure Chitral (100% Indica)...and the genetics of one of the oldest Indica strains. In other words when you grow Chitrali outside of Chitrali and in that specific environment in Orlando Florida, that phenotype emerges. And so Josh and Bubba cloned that freakish phenotype that it could not be reproduced by seed. In other words, the pre-1998 OG Kush is unObtanium.
I’m growing the Chitral landrace at the moment. (Praying for some females)
OG Kush is my favorite strain out there, if it comes out similar to OG Kush I’ll make sure to add some info here on it. In fact, it’s growing right next to a Ghost Og phenotype so it shouldnt be too hard to find out if it’s got matching characteristics or not. Now I’m even more excited about this Chitral strain.

I’m growing the Chitral landrace at the moment. (Praying for some females)
OG Kush is my favorite strain out there, if it comes out similar to OG Kush I’ll make sure to add some info here on it. In fact, it’s growing right next to a Ghost Og phenotype so it shouldnt be too hard to find out if it’s got matching characteristics or not. Now I’m even more excited about this Chitral strain.
Do you know where seeds for Chitrali are available?

OG kush could possibly be chemdog x (lemon Thai x Hindu Kush).

But I’d be interested to know if anyone has definitive information on its full genetic background.

I remember in 2010 I just turned 18 and it was the next day (may 23) I went and got my medical card (prop 215) and afterwards went to the famous kushmart off selma and Wilcox in Hollywood by sunset (snoop doggs club) and bought an eighth of Matt’s number 1 og kush. It was the top shelf and their peak strain. The bud tender actually let me talk to the grower (who’s name was ironically Matt) and I chatted it up with him for at least an hour with comfort. That gentleman told me that strain was 90% Afghan kush crossed with this strain Krippy from Florida. Idk wtf that is. This is me going off my memory. And I’ll never forget that convo. It was the purest smoke I ever had. Till this day. That smell is unforgettable. And closest iv got to it. Is sfv og and Tahoe og. Butter og slightly.

Testing was new back then. But it tested at 33% THC. And at that time. It was unheard of. Fuckin legendary. Nothing compares to that experience in my life. Not even when I found pbb lol

Yeah there’s all sorts of OG kushes now a days. The genetic foot print is huge now.

i've only ever seen the knockoffs here. i don't think we ever got any with the original genetic line.

y
I remember in 2010 I just turned 18 and it was the next day (may 23) I went and got my medical card (prop 215) and afterwards went to the famous kushmart off selma and Wilcox in Hollywood by sunset (snoop doggs club) and bought an eighth of Matt’s number 1 og kush. It was the top shelf and their peak strain. The bud tender actually let me talk to the grower (who’s name was ironically Matt) and I chatted it up with him for at least an hour with comfort. That gentleman told me that strain was 90% Afghan kush crossed with this strain Krippy from Florida. Idk wtf that is. This is me going off my memory. And I’ll never forget that convo. It was the purest smoke I ever had. Till this day. That smell is unforgettable. And closest iv got to it. Is sfv og and Tahoe og. Butter og slightly.

Testing was new back then. But it tested at 33% THC. And at that time. It was unheard of. Fuckin legendary. Nothing compares to that experience in my life. Not even when I found pbb lol
yeah so…can I have some 💁‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom