DutchHazeDog

Hey guys!

I am looking for seeds that will give very tasty flowers with strong effects and a clear personality. My favorite strains up to now are the og kush hybrids and chem family that were famous 10+ years ago. I grow 2-3 strains from seed per run, so the choice of seeds is essential!

I used to grow back in 2012-2014 back then I tried a few breeders (green house, barneys farm, dutch passion, spliff seeds, sweet seeds, reserva privada, DNA genetics, rare dankness, paradise seeds....). I found nearly all seeds gave pretty average flowers, however I was lucky enough to try the og#18 and 21 seeds gave me the 21 best plants I have ever had. Very strong penetrating smell/taste and effects that were deep lasting around 6 hours with a strong euphoria (and increase in bpm) for the first 30 minutes. I used to grow them in hydro under leds with uv supplement (reptile lamps) and run them for 80-84 days flower (9,10 week strain on the packet info), they would yield half of my other plants, so around 225g/m2 instead of 450g/m2, but the stash would last me much much longer. I haven't found anything of the same quality in dispensaries in California nor in Barcelona (and definitely not in the Netherlands haha), modern cookies crosses that I tried lack smell/flavor/effect by a long shot... I want to smell a 1g baggie strongly at 20+ meters, not need to stick my nose in the baggie to smell it...

Now I started growing again, I tried: ripped seeds brain cake & kmintz, dna genetics bakers delight & la sorbet & kosher dawg, reserva privada og kush (doesn't remind me of kush, smells like burnt tires though), philosopher seeds purple punch x dosidos (resin but not much smell), zamnesia runtz (grows easy, looks good, shit quality flowers no taste and superficial effect...)... currently growing barneys farm bubba kush (new on their menu, they claim it comes from the original bubba)
--> So far nothing comes remotely close to the dank og#18 I used to run, and my grow equipment is better (basically better led lights)

Reading around online apparently everyone thought the old og#18 was amazing and RP lost the genetics and now the og#18 is supposedly shit...

So my question is did you guys come across any seeds that have amazing quality flowers? Preferably with some kind of lemon/fuel/sour kush taste (imo nearly all cannabis cup entries of 2012-2014 has those desirable taste/smells). Also preferably not single drops because they are expensive, hard to get and limited so cant buy it again if it turns out amazing.

I was thinking of Karma genetics (something crossed with biker kush, or the white s1), devils harvest (devils glue, waardareekn, rolex), rare dankness (Scotts og) or maybe trying another dna genetics kush. It feels like the best og kush hybrid seeds were 10+ years ago and these days the breeders moved on to cookies.

Also I have trouble finding which genetics are 'fire' since breeder claims are untrustworthy, and forums and grow sites like grow diaries are extremely biased (beginners give high ratings just because their plant didn't die, picky kush growers have higher requirements and end up giving lower grades to fire strains, beginners have difficulties growing fire strain so they don't stand out in the ratings...). How do you guys choose which seeds to run? Do you just try a bunch of different seeds from different breeders and see how it goes?

Hey guys!

I am looking for seeds that will give very tasty flowers with strong effects and a clear personality. My favorite strains up to now are the og kush hybrids and chem family that were famous 10+ years ago. I grow 2-3 strains from seed per run, so the choice of seeds is essential!

I used to grow back in 2012-2014 back then I tried a few breeders (green house, barneys farm, dutch passion, spliff seeds, sweet seeds, reserva privada, DNA genetics, rare dankness, paradise seeds....). I found nearly all seeds gave pretty average flowers, however I was lucky enough to try the og#18 and 21 seeds gave me the 21 best plants I have ever had. Very strong penetrating smell/taste and effects that were deep lasting around 6 hours with a strong euphoria (and increase in bpm) for the first 30 minutes. I used to grow them in hydro under leds with uv supplement (reptile lamps) and run them for 80-84 days flower (9,10 week strain on the packet info), they would yield half of my other plants, so around 225g/m2 instead of 450g/m2, but the stash would last me much much longer. I haven't found anything of the same quality in dispensaries in California nor in Barcelona (and definitely not in the Netherlands haha), modern cookies crosses that I tried lack smell/flavor/effect by a long shot... I want to smell a 1g baggie strongly at 20+ meters, not need to stick my nose in the baggie to smell it...

Now I started growing again, I tried: ripped seeds brain cake & kmintz, dna genetics bakers delight & la sorbet & kosher dawg, reserva privada og kush (doesn't remind me of kush, smells like burnt tires though), philosopher seeds purple punch x dosidos (resin but not much smell), zamnesia runtz (grows easy, looks good, shit quality flowers no taste and superficial effect...)... currently growing barneys farm bubba kush (new on their menu, they claim it comes from the original bubba)
--> So far nothing comes remotely close to the dank og#18 I used to run, and my grow equipment is better (basically better led lights)

Reading around online apparently everyone thought the old og#18 was amazing and RP lost the genetics and now the og#18 is supposedly shit...

So my question is did you guys come across any seeds that have amazing quality flowers? Preferably with some kind of lemon/fuel/sour kush taste (imo nearly all cannabis cup entries of 2012-2014 has those desirable taste/smells). Also preferably not single drops because they are expensive, hard to get and limited so cant buy it again if it turns out amazing.

I was thinking of Karma genetics (something crossed with biker kush, or the white s1), devils harvest (devils glue, waardareekn, rolex), rare dankness (Scotts og) or maybe trying another dna genetics kush. It feels like the best og kush hybrid seeds were 10+ years ago and these days the breeders moved on to cookies.

Also I have trouble finding which genetics are 'fire' since breeder claims are untrustworthy, and forums and grow sites like grow diaries are extremely biased (beginners give high ratings just because their plant didn't die, picky kush growers have higher requirements and end up giving lower grades to fire strains, beginners have difficulties growing fire strain so they don't stand out in the ratings...). How do you guys choose which seeds to run? Do you just try a bunch of different seeds from different breeders and see how it goes?
Hey Dutch, I am afraid I don't have any answers for you, other than to say I like the direction you're going in and the questions you're raising. If I could run 2 plants from smoke that I had decades ago, it would be Columbian Gold which I experienced as a form of brick weed which was an outstanding smoke, and a wild grown plant in Nepal that was superb, both smoked in the 1980's. I grow outdoors in stealth, so I can only grow once a year, and probably 3 plants max, so there isn't enough years left to try everything, I really want some pointers to skip straight to the dynamite strains.

Hey Dutch, I am afraid I don't have any answers for you, other than to say I like the direction you're going in and the questions you're raising. If I could run 2 plants from smoke that I had decades ago, it would be Columbian Gold which I experienced as a form of brick weed which was an outstanding smoke, and a wild grown plant in Nepal that was superb, both smoked in the 1980's. I grow outdoors in stealth, so I can only grow once a year, and probably 3 plants max, so there isn't enough years left to try everything, I really want some pointers to skip straight to the dynamite strains.
Hey Stunger! Thanks for the answer :)

Ah I read many reports about the best effects coming from strains from the 80s! I was thinking about trying one of the ace seeds strains, they seem to specialize in landrace and old school genetics.

Indeed skipping straight to the best strains would be amazing!
I guess for people that don't have access to clones the S1 seeds should have more phenotypes that are representative of the parent. However for outdoor growing you probably want a more stress-resistant plant so that makes it even more difficult for you if you only grow 3 seeds per year!

Besides some good old gold, My other old school I would like to have for taste and effect would be Panama Red. :ganjamon:

Hey Stunger! Thanks for the answer :)

Ah I read many reports about the best effects coming from strains from the 80s! I was thinking about trying one of the ace seeds strains, they seem to specialize in landrace and old school genetics.

Indeed skipping straight to the best strains would be amazing!
I guess for people that don't have access to clones the S1 seeds should have more phenotypes that are representative of the parent. However for outdoor growing you probably want a more stress-resistant plant so that makes it even more difficult for you if you only grow 3 seeds per year!
I have been thinking on the same lines as you. I heard from someone who grew some Katsu's Bubba Sis which he felt was a real standout. I was eyeing the Ace's Bubba Hash which shares the Katsu parent, as well as 2 or 3 of their sativas like Zamaldelica, Golden Tiger, Honduras X Panama. I have had buds off plants over the years that have been standouts when I wasn't even aware of that there existed different strains, so now it would be great to locate some standout genetics in a named strain.

Back
Top Bottom