Larger scale bubbles

BiteSizeFreak

So I am setting up to grow 24 plants and have some questions. I want to use something like this
3R41-1-large.jpg

to house 3 plants each. That gives me a total of 8 totes, with 3 plants in each lined up in 2 rows of 4. I've been trying to figure out the easiest way to manage "large scale" Deep Water Culture. So; do I run 8 separate totes each with its own "environment" or is there a drastically easier way to do it? THANKS!

So I am setting up to grow 24 plants and have some questions. I want to use something like this
3R41-1-large.jpg

to house 3 plants each. That gives me a total of 8 totes, with 3 plants in each lined up in 2 rows of 4. I've been trying to figure out the easiest way to manage "large scale" Deep Water Culture. So; do I run 8 separate totes each with its own "environment" or is there a drastically easier way to do it? THANKS!

I'm a newbie here, but from what I have found through my research is that you need at least 1 gallon of water for each adult plant. When you are using multiple reservoirs like you plan to do, most people seem to use a large central reservoir that feeds the individual tanks in a circulating system. It's possible that in that kind of system you could get away with less than one gallon per plant in the individual tanks since you have a larger central reservoir. That makes sense to me, but I don't know it to be fact.

Hope that helped some. If nothing else I gave you a bump to the top.:peacetwo:

I'm a newbie here, but from what I have found through my research is that you need at least 1 gallon of water for each adult plant. When you are using multiple reservoirs like you plan to do, most people seem to use a large central reservoir that feeds the individual tanks in a circulating system. It's possible that in that kind of system you could get away with less than one gallon per plant in the individual tanks since you have a larger central reservoir. That makes sense to me, but I don't know it to be fact.

Hope that helped some. If nothing else I gave you a bump to the top.:peacetwo:

Kinda what I was thinking. I was actually going for 2+ gallons per plant and wondering about a main resevoir but not sure how you implement them. When switching or adding nutrients how do you do that in an effecient way with a resevoir plus each tote?

Take a look at the Stealth Hydro Pro II 25 planter system, it has a 6 galleon + 10 gallon extra res (I think it's tell gallon added to the 6) that feed into the other 4 planters res.

At the very least it's a starting point.

btw. The image you link has clear plastic tubs I am assuming that is just a picture of the size of tub you want to use (roots need complete darkness and you can get algae blooms if you used those..just FYI).

Cheers!

Take a look at the Stealth Hydro Pro II 25 planter system, it has a 6 galleon + 10 gallon extra res (I think it's tell gallon added to the 6) that feed into the other 4 planters res.

At the very least it's a starting point.

btw. The image you link has clear plastic tubs I am assuming that is just a picture of the size of tub you want to use (roots need complete darkness and you can get algae blooms if you used those..just FYI).

Cheers!

I've considered picking up two 24 plant systems and just using 3 of the pots in each but that seems like a waste of money. I've read the PDF instructions on the reservoir system and truth be told I don't understand how it really works exactly. Never was burdened with a over-sized IQ but I'm determined.

Yeah those are the type of totes I want to use, just not clear, thanks.

Wow BiteSize ,There's nothing Bitesized about your plan ! , Thats a lot of water, Your going to have your hands full thats for sure.

IMO, I would go with the separate reservoirs, With a central reservoir, You got even more water to mess around with and put nutes in, If anything I would think it would be a little cheaper and easier to maintain and if you have a problem with the plants you won't have a problem with all of them.

Whatever you decide, Good luck Bro.

I have a thread going with my potential setup (advice on Deep Water Culture setup).

The double res (figured out how it works last night) is basically the same thing as a toliet.

The big part of it is this: Auto shut off top up kit with float valve

mini floater shutoff value, so the top level res has the extra nutes and water the bottom 6 gal has the tube from the top set at the level that you want all of your planters to have (6 gallons per 8 gallon tub), as the plants drink and eat the central res keeps topping off the planters each time the water level goes down far enough to open the shutoff valve.

Beautifully simple, once it *click* I was in love with the it. Follows the KISS principal and if dealing with larger volume of plants per planter (or going for bigger) then it gives you wiggle room on when you have to top the reses off. All it is two tubs, with a tube and auto shut off floater valve.

I do imagine that you need to check PH and PPM in both tanks (control res will give you the values for all of your reses but I would probably recommend taking samples from all, and the top res).

I am looking at doing it with rubbermaid roughneck totes (24"x16"X12") which gives me enough room to do 8 plants per res in 4 inch pots, more than enough room for each plant with training and topping. I do plan on keeping the veg state short and flower pretty quickly.

I am also thinking that I will put in an air stone into the upper res to keep the water bubbling.

Wtf, how'd this get moved to DWC? I'm doing Deep Water Culture not DWC.

So I think at this point I'll run with 8 totes holding 3 plants each. I suppose I could run 1 double reservoir setup for every 4 totes like SH does. That leaves me with a total of 12 totes, 8 with plants and 4 acting as 2 reservoirs.

Any other efficient way to run 24 plants in a 10 x 10 that runs as well as Deep Water Culture?

Sorry to surprise you with the sudden change in forums, as we are trying to get things a journals placed in the right forum or sub-forum.

If your running 2 totes as a rez, drip feeding w/ bubbles then it would be DWC in conjunction w/ a top feed system. This is the reason for the move. To be honest though from what your describing its more of a Flood & Drain, rather then either of the above. Watcha think?

Again our apologies for the confusion. Please feel free to PM if you have anymore questions, I'm more then happy to answer each and every one to the best of my ability.

Greenest Regards and may your plants grow perfectly

:ganjamon:

I would be running a home built SH's Pro II 24 planter system just with 12 plants instead of 24. Kinda thought thats what Deep Water Culture was. I dunno, maybe I just smoke too much.

Screw it, I'm just going to buy a 24 pot Ebb and Gro system and ditch the Deep Water Culture. Less work for me in several ways, one I don't have to build anything and two seems a lot easier to run on the scale I want.

I was looking into doing a larger scale DWC grow myself, and found it alot more logical to do multiple 10 gallon rubbermaid bins...than doing one large one. My main concern was thinking if something went wrong with my Ph....it wouldnt effect as many plants at once. It may be a little more work testing more buckets, but will in my opinion be well worth the effort...plus you organize the plants in the bins according to their height and/or strain.
DWC(with bubbles) is sooo quick and easy, I cant imagine growing any other way!

Back
Top Bottom