Leaves are turning yellow/brown

Hawian Snow

Hello this is my first grow and I am having a few problems, my bottom leaves have turned yellowish brown and are real dry. When I touch the tips they are so dry that they crumble. I keep the temperature in between 70 and 80 degrees(now) a couple weeks ago the plant was in my basement and it was to cold for the plant and I already know I have stunted its growth. I moved the plant to a warmer room and noticed the spots developing and told a friend of mine who told me to trim the "dead" spots as he called em. I just fertilized 2 days ago and noticed the tips are worse today... I am not over fertilizing as i only do it once a week and the solution is diluted. I ordered a ph meter and ph up/down as someone said that was possible. PLEASE HELP....

SANY00142.JPG
SANY00132.JPG
SANY00121.JPG

what kind of lights are you using?
What kind of soil?
Nutes?
How old is this plant?
you say fertilize? with what?

This looks more like light deprivation and/or nute burn.
you have no pH meter? no good.
Can you post a pix of the setup?

:peacetwo:

Well I am 72 days in, I fertilize about once a week with miracle gro all purpose plant food 24-8-10. I'm using Miracle gro organic choice soil .10 - .05, .05 with slow nitrogen feeding.

I have a 65 watt plant gro bulb from walmart and a 25w plant gro bulb... the 65 watt is about 2 and half feet above the plant while the 25w is about a foot from it focused on the smaller bottom leaves.. i have a thermometer by the plant and i keep the temp in between 70 and 80. i also have a heater in the room that turns on if the temp drops below 71.. is it a good idea to have the heater blowing towards the plant? as it is about 5 ft away still blows the plant.
When the temp is close to 80 i have a tower fan that i blow into the room to cool it off for about an hour a day.

hey there hawian. i'm afraid those bulbs just aren't strong enough and are too far away. i use a 1000w mh and i keep it 12-14" away. ya also need good air circulation and the right humidity level (50-60%) for the plant to grow.

Well I am 72 days in, I fertilize about once a week with miracle gro all purpose plant food 24-8-10. I'm using Miracle gro organic choice soil .10 - .05, .05 with slow nitrogen feeding.

I have a 65 watt plant gro bulb from walmart and a 25w plant gro bulb... the 65 watt is about 2 and half feet above the plant while the 25w is about a foot from it focused on the smaller bottom leaves.. i have a thermometer by the plant and i keep the temp in between 70 and 80. i also have a heater in the room that turns on if the temp drops below 71.. is it a good idea to have the heater blowing towards the plant? as it is about 5 ft away still blows the plant.
When the temp is close to 80 i have a tower fan that i blow into the room to cool it off for about an hour a day.

Well plenty have said here that MG is not good for MJ plants but then there are some that grow in it as you do. I have never used the stuff but has heard it has a tendency of running hot and if you're giving nutes on top of that may be causing your nute burn. Don't hold me to this, I am a novice grower myself. Another thing may be that your lights are not close enough to the plant. I keep my lights literally inches from the plant, the way to see if it is too hot for your plant is to place your hand under the light. If it feels too hot to you then it is likely too hot for your plant.

alright ill look into some new soil and a better light, so i should transplant it? the light is to hot to have so close thats why its so far away.

any suggestions on a light for just 1 plant?

alright ill look into some new soil and a better light, so i should transplant it? the light is to hot to have so close thats why its so far away.any suggestions on a light for just 1 plant?

I still think you should move your light a bit closer, 2 feet just seems too far away to me. Can someone chime in on this please? Once you get new soil, yes, transplant her and when done give her a little bit of nutes. And I would think either one of the bulbs you have already would work for one plant.

I agree with Godtrichome the yellowing is normal with newly established clones. Be careful with your fertilizer go 1/4 strength with small plants and gradually work up. But never more than 1/2 strength for cannabis. MG is ok for cannabis if thats all you have available its just very strong I would only fertilize maybe every two weeks with it as needed. If your plants are green and healthy and they are growing then they dont need more nutes. When using salt based nutes like mg its very important to water to the point where it flows quite a bit out the bottom. doing this helps to keep excess salts from building up around the roots. Water your plants when they feel light when you pick them up this method will keep you from over watering. If to many salts build up it will lock out all your nutrients and your plants will start looking bad. I would recommend setting your lights about 4 inches above your plants. Its hard to burn your plants with florescents unless they actually grow into the light. I hope some of this info helps you out. Just read as much as you can here on 420 and try to get the basics down and remember less is usually more with growing cannabis. :peace:

alright ill look into some new soil and a better light, so i should transplant it? the light is to hot to have so close thats why its so far away.

any suggestions on a light for just 1 plant?

cannabis can grow under almost any light but the quality and the vigor increases the more light you give them. Its really just what you can afford to give them. To grow high quality buds that are dense and healthy then you need at least 250-400 watts per average size plants. :peace:

i think if $ is an issue u would b better off with 23 watt cfl's
my first grow i used12 of them and 3 small plants got me over 2 oz. i used a couple windshield sun reflectors for light reflection, and was satisfied...
think about a small grow tent like i got, 4x4x6.5, i can do 4 nice sized plants good. i got a bundle deal for 600 bucks, tent, light canopy, mh bulb(bought a hps 4 flowering tho), 400 watt switchable ballast,ducting and a fan, digi timer, hanging system, plus a ton of extras like nutes and soil and cloning/seed starting station all for like 600 bucks . its worth it....
good luk!!!

Is that from seed? or clone? looks like that plant is history dude I would start over she is not going to even produce a gram... the first picture you posted looked like a new clone.
014269.JPG
this is what your plants should look like after about 72 days from seed these were under about 180 watts of CFL power. Im not trying to put you down just being honest. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I ended up losing all my plants in my first attempt.

OK, now this kind of answers my questions, Thank you for that.

72 days in, that is a long time for no growth. what is the history of the plant? meaning it's past 72 days? or 73 now... did it start growing right away? or has this been just a slow and steady growth since you got the plant?

The Light is not nearly close enough for cannabis. You need to use bulbs that give the plant the spectrums that she is looking for. Meaning the majority of light in veg is 6500K and for flowering 2700K is used. These are more found in the CFL or Tube bulbs (T5, T8, T12) Someone correct me if that T12 is wrong??? Anyways, get yourself some CFL's or the Tubes. that can help save your plant. Or if you even have the resources, get yourself a MH or HPS system. But understandable if you have budget restraints.

Now Miracle Grow is not a nutrient you should rely on, although it can and will work for the plant, it is 420% recommended against. No worries, I did it on my first grow as well. We learn from our mistakes, but now try and correct it, Check out our sponsors for Nutrients, I will always recommend BluePlanetNutrients.com. Dirt Cheap for 420% TOP QUALITY NUTES and they are specially formulated to cannabis's needs. Don't take my word for it, check out the 40+ grows going on in the BPN Army Blog.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have either in PM to me or here on your thread. Or even feel free to come over and watch what happens in my journal, at the moment I am working on Flowering Fire OG with JD lightings 600w Ballast and BPN nutes that they donated to me. The flowering starts on Wednesday.

Is that from seed? or clone? looks like that plant is history dude I would start over she is not going to even produce a gram... the first picture you posted looked like a new clone.

Either way, he said 72 days, seed or clone, it shows there is problems. Just saying. But I wouldn't 420% necessarily call it a done deal...

Hawian Snow,
you could cut the top off and clone that, and start all over or get better lights, and flush the MG out of the soil. and start fresh. Let her get some fresh new growth out, top it and start her over. By the way you have a fan on her right?​

gittergreen said:
is this plant still going? you have a Cal/Mag issue, or Zinc... just judging from the pix. :thumb:

gittergreen said:
this is what your plants should look like after about 72 days from seed these were under about 180 watts of CFL power. Im not trying to put you down just being honest. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I ended up losing all my plants in my first attempt.
Nice 180! That looks better than some clones I had going under 208w... :welldone: Brotha.

:peacetwo: All

Seeing a better pic of the plant now I am pretty sure it is light depevation. A plant shooting off 3 finger leaves and less during this stage is definately not healthy, and seeing your further notes, they scream "Light Deprevation", and keep the MG nutes at low doses ONLY when the plant shows that there is a Def of some sort....

Are you guys saying the light he is using is good? I had a light like that during my first grow and was told it was the wrong light to use. And am really getting confused on the MG issue because I have heard so many say not to use it but then others are saying it's ok to use it...So I am like which is it?

Are you guys saying the light he is using is good? I had a light like that during my first grow and was told it was the wrong light to use. And am really getting confused on the MG issue because I have heard so many say not to use it but then others are saying it's ok to use it...So I am like which is it?

I cant really tell what kind of light that is it looks like a cfl flood light and has some sort of frosting on it and diminishes lumens. mg is very strong and is easy to burn but in the right hands Im sure one can grow some ok cannabis with it.

I used that very same light when i started growing, and got rid of it the day after joining these forums. They give off way more heat than a CFL and not enough light. You would be better off going to home depot and picking up a few 40w(200w equivalent) CFLS. And keep them about 4-6 inches above the plant. As for the Miracle Grow if you plan on using it get the African Violet Soil....i had great results with it as it is PH balanced 6.5-6.8 and my plants loved it in veg, after about a 4 weeks is when i started adding other nutes.(non miracle grow) Outside of the soil I have no on hands experience with MG, but I did see they have the African Violet food and also Azalea food, I would pick one of those if you plan on staying the route of MG.

Back
Top Bottom