LED Grow Lights: What Do You Want To Know?

Cammie,

Would it be safe to put your unit above plants that are currently growing other other mfg's units?

In late flowering, hesitancy sets in, and questions arise...

What ya think?

-Go Green-

Our lights cause no issues with plants as far as adaptation is concerned. We've taken them from under different LED's, T5's, HID's, etc... and put them under our LED's with great results. Even new clones at 6" below the light show no signs of stress. If you wanted to remove the other MFR's unit and use ours instead, I'm certain your plants will thank you ;)

Wouldn't more light always be better than less light?

Cammie,

Would it be safe to put your unit above plants that are currently growing other other mfg's units?

In late flowering, hesitancy sets in, and questions arise...

What ya think?

-Go Green-

Yes, more light is generally better, but the quality of light and which specific nm's are being used, make a big deal of difference on whether or not that light will have much benefit in flowering. Let's say the light uses only 630nm red, 612nm orange, and 450nm blue. Because it is way off the peaks and missing 660nm, it won't be very effective or helpful unless it is used within 6". In my personal testing experience though, any light with a decent percentage of orange (15-20%) has had harmful effects when used within 6", so it can almost be viewed as a catch 22.

Ultimately the reason I recommended he switch lights is so that he can see the immediate difference during the latter part of flowering from the light he's been using to ours. ;)

The only thing that stumps me is that the 180 ufo has been literally within less than 6" or so of the ladies, and the only issue was a bit of bleaching on the tops. Don't get me wrong, I am not picking a fight here, but this is my experience with that light.

I plan on setting up this weekend. It should be fun! I will try and get the unit in there before flowering is finished, to see if results can be seen with your lights being added or installed even in late flowering. I believe what you say Cammie, and plan on testing it out.

Thanks again for my answer!

-Go Green

Hi HGL,
I have read your other journal (Impressive Grow"and I am quite interested in your equipment.

I am gearing up for a new grow and am now considering your LED set-up. It would be a great test as this next grow is a new site and would go head to head with my other locations; each location uses ten 1000 HPS in the bloom room. However, before I make this move I want to get input from others who are using your LEDs.

Once I get a better feel I would like to take a trip to visit and see your basil and tomato plants first hand. :)

Peace,
G4E

The only thing that stumps me is that the 180 ufo has been literally within less than 6" or so of the ladies, and the only issue was a bit of bleaching on the tops. Don't get me wrong, I am not picking a fight here, but this is my experience with that light.

LoL, a fight? Nah. I've seen other users grow with the 180W Jumbo within 6" as well, without it killing their plants. I haven't seen other people use clones at 6" with their light though... In my personal experience, my plants never made it out of veg with our "ProSource-esque" light, but we never used it more than 9" from the canopy. After the first test we decided to use it as a clone light, but when we put it within 6" of our clones, it began killing them. So I'm not saying it's indicative of every grow with their lights, but Irish sure was having some issues during the first few days ;)

During the bloom stage, you would definitely want that PS light within 6-9" of your plants though, or it won't be all that useful.

I'm on my way to swap those other companies lights with yours! hehe. Maybe I will get a pic up when I am done. I dunno...

Thanks for the info Cammie!
Your a wealth of knowledge and I admire that.

-Go Green!

another good page full of info, keep it up cammie

Is it safe to have your light 3-4" away from the tops? or should I raise them?

Thanks!

I don't recommend that people use them closer than 6" because it can cause bleaching. If your plants show no sign of stress with the light at 3-4" away, then it's really up to you. During veg I keep the light higher to induce stretching. The only time I've had my plants within 3" of the light or touching it, was during the last 2 weeks of bloom. They didn't seem to mind it then, but they didn't care for 5" just 2 weeks prior...

IF you ask me, the plants love it. Just don't take your clones from a cfl and put the 126 penatrator 3" away right off the bat, you'll blow it out of the growing medium hahaha. But over time you can creep it closer and closer. "maybe not all strains"

BUT by doing this your reducing the spectrums reach by blocking it with your plants. Gotta ride that fine line.

Its from Lumigrow to Penetrator. That was the transition.

It is about 4" away we shall see what happens in 12-24 hours.

My god, your are really pissin me off now Cammie, (assuming yoru name is Cammie, although we have never been formally introduced, Im Chris!!).

When you first started this thread, I just blew it off as a selling job for another product that doesnt work...well now Im screwed!!

I have to figure out a way to come up with a quick $800 fricken bucks, for two 126w units, I have done the math, and yes, its kinda a no brainer to use these lights....

Let me spell out my conclusions, and feel free to adjust my thinking..'

First, and foremost, the heat, its a battle I deal with all the time, (as most of us do!!) after dropping the 700 bucks for my 1000 watt set up, $320 ballast, $150 hood, $225 for bulbs) I still need to spend another $150 for fans, and ducting, plus the pain in the ass of routing the ducts etc. now the heat, running a chiller and radiator (heat exchanger) just to remove the heat your talking about another $800 bucks!!, throw in the added expense of running the big fan, and the chiller, and holy crap, I am kickin my own ass!!

One question is, do you have a way to vent the heat from YOUR fans out of the room, IE using C02?

The LED panels from hydro-grow, produce very little heat. As Cammie has stated, depending on the room size and amounts of light. One can likely only expect a degree or two change from ambient temps.

If you are referring to HID venting...that I dunno.

Hope that helps.

-Go Green!

I have to figure out a way to come up with a quick $800 fricken bucks, for two 126w units, I have done the math, and yes, its kinda a no brainer to use these lights....

Let me spell out my conclusions, and feel free to adjust my thinking..'

First, and foremost, the heat, its a battle I deal with all the time, (as most of us do!!) after dropping the 700 bucks for my 1000 watt set up, $320 ballast, $150 hood, $225 for bulbs) I still need to spend another $150 for fans, and ducting, plus the pain in the ass of routing the ducts etc. now the heat, running a chiller and radiator (heat exchanger) just to remove the heat your talking about another $800 bucks!!, throw in the added expense of running the big fan, and the chiller, and holy crap, I am kickin my own ass!!

One question is, do you have a way to vent the heat from YOUR fans out of the room, IE using C02?

I feel your pain with the heating issue (I used to run 4,000W). I also have a water chiller, A/C unit, and ventilation system left over from my HID days. Depending on the size of your room, how many watts of LED you put into it, and whether or not it's well insulated, you may not need any ventilation. I have 1512W in a 9x8 room right now that gets to 90 degrees with all the lights on. My walls, floors, and ceiling are well insulated, which is why I can trap so much heat with them. I leave my room shut, fans running, but no ventilation system because I run CO2 (finally got my tanks filled!). When I visit them plants every day, they get a nice breeze or two of fresh air, and then it's back to the controlled environment.

Hey peeps. Ok. so its been over 24 hours with the light within 4" or so and the ladies are loving it!!!!!!!

WOOT WOOT!!!!! I am keeping close watch....

Maybe the stress/bleaching/etc with lights too close, is a strain situation? My ladies are stress tolerant for the most part... I beat em up...lol

Peace Peeps!

Go Green!

Different strains tend to bleach more than others. My Grape Ape gets affected quite easily, whereas my Strawberry Cough plants never showed any signs... I know it's not positive for further development though, and since other LED lights are doing it, I can't attribute it to the Infrared... Maybe we should name it the "LED Phenomena" lol.

Different strains tend to bleach more than others. My Grape Ape gets affected quite easily, whereas my Strawberry Cough plants never showed any signs... I know it's not positive for further development though, and since other LED lights are doing it, I can't attribute it to the Infrared... Maybe we should name it the "LED Phenomena" lol.

Haha! Ok! Sounds like a plan to me.. :peace:

Somethin' like an LED Phenomena....lol

As of tonight, everything was still fine; however, I will keep you posted as time goes by.

Ideally, what distance would you want the lights for the most part of the grow? 10"? 8"? Is there a very happy medium where footprint and intensity meet in a grassy field with rainbows and leprechauns? :grinjoint:

Anywho..lol forgive my little message if it is senseless.

Peace! I will be in touch!

Going Greener

Back
Top Bottom