Light contamination

putembk

Good morning to all brothers of the bud. Small problem, I had to leave town for a couple of days and gave watering instructions to my wife. I don't know how but every time I leave something bad happens. All that needed to be done is water the girls. The problem: my wife decided to water 3 hours earlier than she was directed. Therefore when she opened the room the m/h lights had not come on yet. Not knowing any better, I don't f***ing know how, she decided to go ahead and water anyway. WTF did she just do????? It was low light and only for a couple of minutes. How much damage has been done and will it affect the time I harvest? I am 30 days from harvest.

Might delay flowering slightly. If you don't pre-calculate your harvest date to the day, you likely won't notice.

If it's a cantankerous strain that you have to watch for male flowers, you might wish to be extra vigilant - but (IMHO), if one(?) time of goofed darkness causes them to go hermie then they were just looking for an excuse anyway.

Probably no harm done at all for all practical purposes - unless, that is, you flipped out and yelled at your wife instead of calmly explaining the plant photoperiod version of the birds & the bees to her. If that was the case... lol.

Of course I wouldn't yell at my wife she is my best friend of 37 years. I was a little frustrated however.
Unfortunately I am growing a very cantankerous strain (chemdawg #4) and I am afraid it will go herm on me. I will watch close and hope for the best. Thanks for your advise and knowledge.

Uhm... do you have like Stadium lights in your room? It wont do anything if she didnt water the plants for 45 minutes. Jeez I grew plants 30 feets away from all night lamposts and didnt find 1 hermie.

I have two 600w m/h lights suspended over the plants. And yes she watered instantly. What would that have to do with anything?

I have two 600w m/h lights suspended over the plants. And yes she watered instantly. What would that have to do with anything?

I think he's just saying that any light that got in for such a small amount of time was probably harmless, unless you have stadium lights in your house.

I don't think you should lose any sleep over it.

:goodluck:

Sorry if I was unclear :) Language barrier, Iam from Germany ^^

I meant: Light contamination is not something you get from having some lights for a few minutes in the box. REAL Light contamination is when you youve got constant lights shining on your plants.

I have never had problems with light contamination if I took a look in the tent at "night" or even putting the whole MH spectacle on for 10 minutes to show some mates the progress.

What you want to avoid is a constant light source. My example with the plantation next to the lamposts was a bit wrong. They indeed needed 1 1/2 weeks more to get ripe but I had the same problems with plantations that were close to a street with the occasional cars driving by at night.

What I meant is: Even if you would water your plants once a week in the sleep phase with all the normal lights on one has in the house, the plants would NOT go hermie or need like a week more to ripe.

Theres a thing called full moon and it would totally mess your plants up outdoor, too if a normal house light would do the same.

Sorry if I was sarcastic to a point that it looked insulting.... tell your wife she did a good job as dry plants are much worse ^^

Try to avoid lights in the sleep phase but dont worry as long as there is no constant light source shining on them. Its all good :) Your wife just simulated a full moon :)

I think that the vast majority of us do... That's what HID lights are brother!

Priceless! That (and the quote that spawned it) would make a nice .SIG. And the best part is, it works both ways - I completely understood his point, yet at the same time your response is true as well.

Sorry if I was unclear :) Language barrier, Iam from Germany ^^

Your command of the English language is better than half the people I know who were born here. In fact, my handy-dandy "How to Spot a Foreigner or Someone from the City" brochure has that listed as #3: Reads and writes English. (Oddly enough, #7 is Does NOT speak or understand Spanish.)

I was always struck by the utter madness whenever I encountered an American (, US citizen type) attempting to communicate with a person from another country and the American was crass enough to mutter the words, "Dumb foreigner can't even speak good English" (or even worse, "Dumb foreigner can't even speak good American"). I once went so far as to explain that that "dumb foreigner" was probably doing the best job of it that he could and that perhaps he should be cut a little slack due to the likelihood that English was probably the 3rd (at least) language that he had learned. The response I got to that was, "Oh yeah? Why can't I understand him then?" I just walked away.

I meant: Light contamination is not something you get from having some lights for a few minutes in the box. REAL Light contamination is when you youve got constant lights shining on your plants.

I have never had problems with light contamination if I took a look in the tent at "night" or even putting the whole MH spectacle on for 10 minutes to show some mates the progress.

What you want to avoid is a constant light source. My example with the plantation next to the lamposts was a bit wrong. They indeed needed 1 1/2 weeks more to get ripe but I had the same problems with plantations that were close to a street with the occasional cars driving by at night.

What I meant is: Even if you would water your plants once a week in the sleep phase with all the normal lights on one has in the house, the plants would NOT go hermie or need like a week more to ripe.

Well, a light - or the right spectrum of light, anyway - will halt the flowering process. But that's all it does. It doesn't reset it to the beginning or anything. I forget how much time of darkness it takes to restart but it's short.

Theres a thing called full moon and it would totally mess your plants up outdoor, too if a normal house light would do the same.

Keep in mind that the full moon is not shining down every night. And while it is reflected sunlight, it's also rather dim (relatively speaking). Rock and dust does not make the best material for a mirror. The only reason it is even visible is because of the immense amount of visible radiation that our sun produces. The full moon can often be seen during daylight - but no one ever remarks that it brightens the day at that point (because it doesn't).

I don't know off the top of my head whether or not the light that it reflects from the sun is comprised of the full light-spectrum that we experience during daylight hours. But now I'm curious. I also do not know if "moonlight" even carries the same ratio of that spectrum.

Around here, the light that is reflected by even a full moon pales (err... lol?) in comparison to what is seen when standing near a street light. Those DO seem to screw with flowering, though so that's not really helpful to my thoughts one way or the other.

Seems like there was a thread around here that dealt with what part of the light spectrum actually interfered with the flowering process and which part was actually helpful. It was really interesting and I seem to have forgotten all of it. I guess I wasn't medicated - not medicated with cannabis, I mean. When I'm using cannabis, I can remember everything that happens - eventually, lol. Sometimes to my embarrassment. (The pills, OtOH, are a different story.)

Sorry if I was sarcastic to a point that it looked insulting.

I, for one, had no problem with yours or anyone else's posts in this thread. If I had, the posts in question would probably have been... mine....;)

your wife she did a good job as dry plants are much worse ^^

True, that. VERY true. Also true that the family that grows together, often stays together.

Try to avoid lights in the sleep phase but dont worry as long as there is no constant light source shining on them. Its all good :) Your wife just simulated a full moon :)

Thanks to all, will sleep better. I will watch closely however.:morenutes:

Well, you see, the thing is... The thing is that growing cannabis is easy. Really easy. We're programmed almost from birth to believe that good things require work. So when it turns out otherwise, our minds are often helpful(?) by providing us with a form of work. That form of work is called "stressing over things."

It's often the hardest work of all.

Again, if any probably not enough that you'd notice unless you're keeping better track than average.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but... Perhaps you could tell us at harvest time? (Assuming that you've grown it before and have a reference point.) I'd be interested in reading a smoke-report on that strain as well. It's not one that I've grown although I've heard great things about it.

This will be my 2nd harvest of this strain. I flowered the first for 70 days as the strain guide suggested. The trichomes don't finish well on this strain so I went by the guide and it was worth it. I will let you know how this turns out.

Interesting abstract you found. Among other things, the last paragraph. Also the premise that plants curled/folded/flipped their leaves at night in order to "hide" their chloroplasts from possible activation by the Moon, etc.

"The promotion of flowering in short-day plants by exposing them to low intensity light at night prevents these plants from wrongly interpreting as a long day a moonlit night following a short day. These species do not interpret moonlight as "weak sunlight," but as "absolute darkness." This observation is of ecological interest, and involves physiological problems that deserve further study."

Shame that they didn't use a cannabis variety - or several, from different latitudes - in their study as the tolerances to stimuli of various plants and their reactions to same are, of course, many and varied. Still... interesting.

I wonder if it'll let me REP you again, lol? [EDIT: Nope. REPs-in-spirit for making me think before I've had my coffee.]

Imagine the research that can be done once MJ is legal again.

the 'martian-style' growers are certainly pushing the night time lumen envelope...

(BTW- for some reason the link displayed in all caps, i wasn't trying to shout.)

Just to let all that advised me not to murder my wife. Well, I didn't . Also it has been five days since our little accident and all seems well. So far there are no signs of problems and the colas continue to fill in just as they should. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom