Light cycle

Will plants veg or flower at 12.5 hours of light?
I used to grow according to the gas lantern light schedule when I needed them to stay small in veg.

12h on, 5.5h off, 1h on, 5.5h off, repeat.

Works great, they do lean towards preflower tho, so once you flip, it goes fast.

Edit: the theory is that plants need more than the 5.5h uninterrupted dark to build hormones to the level to flip to flower. By giving it 1h light in the middle of its night, you break that buildup and make it reset in a way.

Edit: the theory is that plants need more than the 5.5h uninterrupted dark to build hormones to the level to flip to flower. By giving it 1h light in the middle of its night, you break that buildup and make it reset in a way.
Approx 12 hours of uninterrupted dark from what I have read. Then after a couple of nights in a row of this and the plant has built up enough of the hormone that induces flowering. Then flowering starts.

Near as I can figure as long as there is that 12 hour period of dark it will continue to flower. An occasional interruption in the period of dark is not enough to reverse the process, probably because the amounts of flowering hormone in the plants tissue need more than one or two nights to be used up.

Approx 12 hours of uninterrupted dark from what I have read. Then after a couple of nights in a row of this and the plant has built up enough of the hormone that induces flowering. Then flowering starts.

Near as I can figure as long as there is that 12 hour period of dark it will continue to flower. An occasional interruption in the period of dark is not enough to reverse the process, probably because the amounts of flowering hormone in the plants tissue need more than one or two nights to be used up.
I don't know the exact numbers there, but I'm happy to take 12. Also not sure if you need an hour, but thats what I read the method to be.

I read up on it before.
“GLR refers to a light schedule known as Gas Lantern Routine. The mythology around this system supposedly dates back to farmers whose crops were being raided by nocturnal pests and they would go out at night with gas lanterns to chase them away.

What they noticed however is that their crops were not flowering and stayed in a vegetative state because of the light interruption in the middle of their sleeping hours.

Cannabis growers have adapted this system and we can tell you that it works very well.

Essentially what we are doing is using a flowering cycle which is usually 12 hours of light 12 of total darkness and interrupting the ‘’dark’’ hours right in the middle by waking them up for one hour.

There are a few benefits to using this light schedule:
  • It cuts a considerable amount of electricity as the lights will only be on for 13 hours a day rather than 18
  • It helps a lot with excessive heat and is recommended for places with very high temperatures, such as desert regions.
  • Many people will both support and dispute this but we have good reason to believe that Cannabis focuses a lot of energy on root development during the dark hours and by giving them more dark hours in vegetation the root system will become highly developed, even more so when we combine this with the air pots. “
I personally haven’t tried it, but was quite interested in the process a couple years back. Give it a shot and report your findings.

yes they will flower with 11.5 hours of dark I never change my timer and run 12.5 light until last few weeks

If you are trying to save energy do the gas lanter for veg I did that worked good and saved 5 hours a day on lights did notice a little stretch but I had junky lights back then

Back
Top Bottom