LJFM White Widow Grow

i am not sure but i would think that the powder would just mix in with the hash. the hash will easily peel off after just a few min in the freezer. You just strech the glove a bit and it will roll/peel off.
i have not tryed gloves with the powder, so... idk.

Week 8 Flower

Hello again everyone.

Here we are in the 2nd day of the 8th week of flowering. She's still doing great!

I guess I didn't spray thoroughly enough with the LL because I still have mites but not in huge amounts and I don't have thick webbing or anything so no big deal.

I have got a sprinkling of trichs turning amber so harvest is coming soon. However there are new white pistils still shooting out and I've read that when she's fully ripened the pistils will all be dried and sucked in a little... I've smoked some buds that still had white pistils before and it was just fine.

The colas are all a little thicker than a bic lighter and all the buds underneath are nice looking little popcorn guys. I don't think the colas or buds will get much thicker with my setup but I will have a nice little jar full when it's all said and done.

148.jpeg

230.jpeg

The twins
324.jpeg

423.jpeg

Some of the stuff under the canopy
518.jpeg

I guess I should start flushing and get ready to harvest soon

Oh, man, those are looking soooo ripe and sweet, LJ.

Excellent job, man! White Widow gets her name because at harvest she looks like a Chinese widow in mourinng (Chinese wear white to funerals, whereas Westerners wear black).

You should post some of those pictures to plant of the month. They look just like the promotional pictures the seed sites use!

Thanks chiefin! I'm happy with how shes turned out considering she was a left for dead orphan brought into an inexperienced growers home.

And yeah she's got a skunkiness but a really strong almost fruity pebbles scent whenever I move her around. Opening up that lid every time I check on her I get smacked with a wave of smell - it's awesome.

I just read this on a strain review site
"White Widow is a compact plant of medium height. The buds only develop a few amber-colored hairs, but the outrageous crystalline resin production of this plant has become legendary. Inevitably the reputation that precedes it leads some growers to decide that it is overrated, but many find this variety to be everything they anticipated and more. White Widow has the potential to live up to its reputation if grown adeptly. This strain is recommended for indoor gardening, where water and fertilizer should be administered modestly to avoid mildew and retain the delicious flavors. Greenhouse suggests changing the lighting to 8 hours during the last 2 weeks of flowering in order to halt regrowth of on the buds and produce just enough stress to coax out the maximum amount of sticky resin per inch."

I believe that I'm starting to get that regrowth with all the new white pistils so I think I'm going to try what they suggest and cutting her days down from 12 to help boost the resin production.

LJ wrote:
Greenhouse suggests changing the lighting to 8 hours during the last 2 weeks of flowering in order to halt regrowth of on the buds and produce just enough stress to coax out the maximum amount of sticky resin per inch."

That's interesting! I've reduced the light cycle on my crop to 10 hours a day and was considering reducing it to 8 hours a day. I was doing it as an experiment to mimic the slow change from summer to autumn. I wasn't sure if it would have any effect. I was trying

To Be One With The Plants

LOL! Must be a hangover from my hippie days in the '60's.

Incidentally, I grew one WW in my last grow (four other indicas along with it). I left them in flower for 12 weeks (using 12/12 flowering cycle). Part of the reason I left them so long is that I couldn't cover the entire crop in light, so I had to shuffle and rotate the plants around every day to even out the amount of light they received.

An experienced grower (the guy who taught me everything) tried it out and said it was great!

So what I'm saying is that you can go much longer than 8 weeks of flower for WW.

Yeah she's 2 days away from completing 8 weeks. I turned the lights down to 10 hours and I think in a week or maybe less I'll try going to 8. I want her to go at least another week and a half, most likely two, just to see if those white pistils lead to the buds fattening up anymore.

Week 9 Start

Howdy all!

Well today I decided it was time for the first round of harvesting! I chopped 4 branches that had nice thick colas and well developed lower buds. I have them hung up and drying in my original grow box modified for drying. After a few days in there I'll do the final trim and remove the buds from their main stems and send them into the paper bag / sealed jar cycle and get 'em curing.

Also, I submitted her to the PotM competition so if anyone feels so inclined I'd sure appreciate a vote! lol

Here she is before the nights proceedings
11475.JPG

3967.jpg

21060.JPG

Here is that fat curvy branch cut down
4655.jpg

And now trimmed down
5505.jpg

The first 4 branches cut
6434.jpg

Trimmed buds
10199.jpg

8306.jpg

Here they are in the re-purposed old box. That jar top in the bottom right is where I have the trimmings soaking in alcohol for some iso hash.
9232.jpg

And this is what's left. These colas are all a little smaller and the buds underneath are whispy. Now there is plenty of light penetration so I'm hoping with a little more time they'll all fatten up. And I'll have some different harvest times to compare highs to, nothing wrong with that.
7386.jpg

I can't wait to see what it all weighs out to and give a smoke report, stay tuned!

:peace::blunt:

Nice work, LJ!

Everything looks great. Removing some of the top buds and colas is a good way to ensure that the lower plant ripens as well. It's called a progressive harvest.

The buds you picked looked really ripe. Looking forward to the smoke report. And I'm especially interested in the iso-hash. I've made ice-hash and have wondered how isoproplyl alcohol would work instead. I'm a bit nervous about using any alcohol besides ethyl - will there be any residual left? I've thought of soaking weed in iso, straining it and drying it out, but I am loathe to use any heat. Combustibles and I have a bad history ......

Ahh Progressive Harvest... Seems to be the way to go to me, that's how my non-internet mentor does it.

I've never had any problem with residues ggrant when using iso to make hash. I make sure I have the highest alcohol percentage there is soak whatever it is I'm soaking. When it looks ready I'll pour it out onto this mirror I have. From there it can be left out to evaporate but I have a heat gun that I like to use to blow across it. I like using the heat gun because it usually takes less than an hour for finished product as opposed to the several hours it would take to air dry.

I was skeptical about smoking anything soaked in any non-consumable alcohol but I have done it several times in my years of smoking and have not run into any problems with it.

Really though Ice hash seems to be the way to go. But my trimmings from one mini plant aren't really enough to do it properly and I don't have the screens or anything. When I can have a bigger operation that's probably the way I'll go.

Anywho, thanks for the kind words!

She smelled like victory, chiefin. Lol, but seriously still that sweet skunk smell. The smell coming from the dry box is mesmerizing right now. I was naughty and took a little sample. No taste to report yet but it was surprisingly not harsh - though I'm an all around smoker so maybe my throat is just used to harsher stuff. I'm flying at a comfortable altitude but I can't wait to see what some curing will do for these buds.

Whew, just got back home from a long weekend. Smoked a lot of good herb and lost track of time. I was worried I'd have problems when I got back but nope, she is doing great. The remaining colas look thicker already and the buds are filling out more.

11478.jpg

21062.jpg

3970.jpg

What's curing now
4656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom